Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:20 AM

17 posts, read 43,392 times

Advertisements

I could tell that the library referendum was going to go down a week ago when we were stopped ar the intersection of S 9th and Hwy 50. That's what I call the "soapbox corner" as political groups will have people out with signs to raise support.

When the Tea Party was holding rallies at the corner there would be people with signs and motorists honking their support.

But with the people at the corner with signs supporting the library referendum: quiet.

You could say that the folks here are nothing if not respectful. After all, we all know not to make noise in a library. So by extension, we shouldn't make noise about a library.

I'm probably being too charitable. There's too much short-sightedness here, I've decided. A 1/4 of one cent increase in sales tax apparently is going to be too much of a hardship, say the majority of our voters. An extra 25 cents per $100 in taxable purchases is just too much, apparently.

I noticed one curious thing about the "Vote Yes on 2A" signs. Not one could be found anywhere close to the signs for the council and mayor candidates advertising themselves as "Business Friendly."

So, I told my middle school daughter, who does quite well in school and has made plenty of friends here since we moved here four years ago that Canon probably isn't the place to stake her future as an adult. She's talked a bit about staying in Canon after her school and college days.

Canon City Property raxes, at least for residential, is very low. And I appreciate that a lot. But I see too many blacktop streets that have plenty of "alligator" cracks and other signs of disrepair. There are other signs of infrastructure neglect.

Times are tough, but the price for deferred maintainance always exceeds the short-term savings. We don't need 38 foot wide curb and gutter paved streets, although they'd be nice. But a more aggressive plan to preserve the existing paved streets is essential, and that's not happening.

We don't need to be another fancy pants mountain town. Donkeys and horses intermingled with residential suits me fine. Old cars and trucks behind your houses, no problem with that, either. Keeps the effluent, I mean affluent out.

But there are certain things that tell a lot about what people think about their community. Support for basic civic services like an adequate library means to me that a community cares about its future and how it presents itself to outsiders that might care to call a place home.

We don't need to grow into another Boulder. I rather like living in the "anti-Boulder." But with the present attitude here, I don't think it's a good idea placing a long term bet on a business in Canon City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 AM

17,882 posts, read 27,281,896 times
I just had a huge post that got deleted somehow. That sucks.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:21 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,110,893 times
Many fund raising initiatives are being voted down all over currently as people begin to realize it's actually more about protecting cushy pensions than improving public services. Prop 103 for example. I await the nuclear response from the public sector employees.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 AM

486 posts, read 1,491,162 times
Another black mark on poor Canon City.

It was a fairly close vote but the library lost. And I mean LOST - since the place is falling into such disrepair that diapers are used to attempt to slow leaks from the ceiling.

The library is a beautiful historic Carnegie Library with much of the original woodwork and decor still intact. Unfortunately, poor "fixes" and additions over the years have caused a multitude of problems from mold to plumbing and even load-bearing issues.

It is a crying shame that the majority of voters in Canon City will let a historical gem rot into the ground because they don't want to pay a little more in taxes.

Yes times are tough and no one wants to pay more taxes. But come on people! (Diapers taped to the ceiling?!?!?)

Yet another black cloud hanging over a town that has so much potential, despite itself.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,364,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I just had a huge post that got deleted somehow. That sucks.
That has happened more times to me then I care to remember.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:15 PM

This is defiantly not good for Canon City. A library is one of the most important buildings in a city especially in a town like Canon City where they have no university.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:58 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,065,169 times
True Joss BUT,...it does have the Pueblo Community College, Fremont Campus!!! And for gosh sakes....such a tiny (perfect) town...why are you talking about a University for gosh sakes?!!! Shouldn't that go to your precious Pueblo first!!!???!!! Geez Joss!!

Old 11-02-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
True Joss BUT,...it does have the Pueblo Community College, Fremont Campus!!! And for gosh sakes....such a tiny (perfect) town...why are you talking about a University for gosh sakes?!!! Shouldn't that go to your precious Pueblo first!!!???!!! Geez Joss!!
LOL you make a good point but I was trying to stay on topic (Canon City) and while Pueblo Community College, Fremont Campus is good for my ego its not the same as a city having their own university with the related research and development that comes with it with a library that is usually as good or better then the local library. Because of this the city library is arguably one of the most important buildings in the city and should be given the TLC it needs.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:38 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,065,169 times
BUT,,,,,,......Canon City is NOT a big city!!!! IF it was,....it wouldn't be the perfect little town that it is,..right???

Old 11-02-2011, 05:50 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,856,393 times
We have a town of 1000 people in Nebraska that wanted a new library. We did fund raisers and applied for grants. It took 2 1/2 years but our library is paid for and construction is nearing completion. If you want something, organize and raise the funds for it. It gives such a sense of accomplishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado