Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 08:40 PM

924 posts, read 1,020,159 times

Advertisements

sorry to be touching this subject; I know it is a sensitive topic, but I am curious how it is regulated in Colorado.

Honestly, the only reason I am having second thoughts in marrying someone is alimony. I worked really hard to be making what I am making now for someone to just take it away because they are not educated and/or did not work hard for it. (that is my opinion on it and that will never change). I will be making double or triple what my fiance is making, and I know if I were to get divorced, she would get a lump sum of that. Also, I am engaged and will be moving to Colorado for this new job

but is there a way to avoid alimony with a prenup in Colorado? Ive heard Colorado is one of the worst states for alimony (spouse maint.)

Old 05-16-2015, 04:22 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Search this sub-forum. There is a long thread on the subject.
You could always hire your divorce attorney before getting married.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:47 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
sorry to be touching this subject; I know it is a sensitive topic, but I am curious how it is regulated in Colorado.

Honestly, the only reason I am having second thoughts in marrying someone is alimony. I worked really hard to be making what I am making now for someone to just take it away because they are not educated and/or did not work hard for it. (that is my opinion on it and that will never change). I will be making double or triple what my fiance is making, and I know if I were to get divorced, she would get a lump sum of that. Also, I am engaged and will be moving to Colorado for this new job

but is there a way to avoid alimony with a prenup in Colorado? Ive heard Colorado is one of the worst states for alimony (spouse maint.)
While you've already been directed to threads discussing this topic....reading your post where you indicate that you'd resent giving your earnings away to somebody who 'isn't educated' and 'didn't work for it' makes me wonder what you really think of your fiancé. Maybe this is something you need to think about before even marrying, because you already seem resentful towards her.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:02 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
While you've already been directed to threads discussing this topic....reading your post where you indicate that you'd resent giving your earnings away to somebody who 'isn't educated' and 'didn't work for it' makes me wonder what you really think of your fiancé. Maybe this is something you need to think about before even marrying, because you already seem resentful towards her.
sorry, meant in general for couples; not my fiance. She is actually educated; however, she just makes less. I just entered a good field to be making that salary. My fiance is a hard worker and is educated; regardless, i will be making 3x of what she makes. I just want to protect that IN CASE we do get a divorce.

Ive been reading multiple articles, but it seems there is no sure answer.

Ive read as long as you dont marry, or as long as you sign a prenup to waive a spousal support. Then again, I read that those are not waivable.

So, just would like someone who knows to post a reply to this. I've already researched, but still have no sure answer. Although, I did read http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...rst-state.html this post, where she cheated and now he has to pay alimony, still does not talk about if there is a way to sign a prenup and avoid this in the state of Colorado. That right there, is ONE of the reasons I want to protect myself

so, thoughts?

Old 05-16-2015, 08:25 AM

331 posts, read 465,185 times
Use some of your hard-earned and abundant money to get advice from a lawyer on these questions.

Seriously, I'm not being snarky. Would you really bet your whole net worth on the words and advice of anonymous participants on an Internet forum?

You have thought about this a lot and have some specific questions. You need a session with a good Colorado family law attorney to get them answered.

You're obviously dithering around because you mention a "fiance" which indicates to me that you intend to marry her - or have at least told her you want to get married - but now you're all antsy about protecting YOUR money from HER after you're married.

Yep. You need a prenup, drawn up by a lawyer. Then you'll hand the prenup to your fiance, and have a full and frank discussion about your overwhelming need to protect your money and how that will work. And then your fiance will - because you and your lawyer will advise her to - get her own lawyer and review the prenup before she signs it. Everything out in the open, all issues clearly understood, and nobody acting under duress or pressure.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:19 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
We've a long and comprehensive thread on that. Find it with the search function. We don't give legal advice on this site. Thread closed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado