U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 9,881 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - I've searched the web and plenty of threads in these forums, but yet to find the answer I'm looking for.

I'm currently a resident of Texas, and have been recently blessed with the opportunity to leave this wretched place while retaining my employment as a remote employee. Therein lies the basis for my question.

Requirements for Residency states: "Reside in Colorado for 90 consecutive days".

Colorado Tax documents states that you must pay state tax if you are: "A part-year resident of Colorado with taxable income during that part of the year you were a resident"

I plan to move mid-year. However, since I will not have a new employer in Colorado, there will be no new W2.

So, when exactly am I subject to State Taxes? - The minute I sign the apartment lease, or not until 90 days later?

I just need to know when to have my Texas-based employer begin withholding state taxes.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:41 PM

19 posts, read 40,743 times
I moved here to Colorado in June 2010 from Texas. When you file your state Colorado taxes, it will ask what month/year you moved here. You only pay for the months you are here. You are considered a resident 90 days after you sign your lease, BUT the state taxes will begin immediately...they give you 90 days "grace" to get everything in order...car, license etc...but I'd expect to pay taxes from the month you arrive forward.. Save your money for registering your car. I purposely re-registered mine for $65 there...got me another year until I had to get Colorado tags...here you have no yearly inspection...emissions tests for $25 replaces that...and there are no stickers in your windshield (i like that part) your month/year stickers go on your Colorado license plate...and the fee is ungodly expensive. Registration was $219 for an 05 Kia....they judge it on the value of the car and you can call them all you want and ask ABOUT how much to pay...you will get no answers. Its a big surprise, so be ready. It is so much better here, you wont mind the yearly registration fee...they do say it lowers, obviously, eachyear as the value of your vehicle goes down

Hope this helps
Leigh

Last edited by leigh61870; 11-03-2011 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 AM

166 posts, read 357,760 times
I moved to CO last November from Michigan and began telecommuting from home. My employer started withholding CO state taxes immediately, even though it was 60 days before I did the cars and driver's licenses, etc.. I did close on a house immediately, but it's my understanding that as soon as I changed my address to CO, they started withholding the tax, whether I own, rent or live with a friend. My employer didn't ask me when I would like to start

Old 11-04-2011, 10:48 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,658,992 times
If you work in Colorado, you are required to pay taxes in Colorado, even if you do not live in Colorado. Your employer will withhold taxes as soon as you work in Colorado.

I also know several people who came to Colorado to work a 2 week temp job each summer. THey had taxes withheld in Colorado even though they never changed their address to Colorado. Additionally, pro athletes who play in Colorado are taxed on a portion of their paychecks for the game or games they played while in Colorado.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,138 times
We are moving and retiring to Colorado and will have no income when we move there. Will we be paying any state tax for wages we made in Texas prior to the move?

Old 05-16-2015, 10:18 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McNeley View Post
We are moving and retiring to Colorado and will have no income when we move there. Will we be paying any state tax for wages we made in Texas prior to the move?
No.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:15 PM

4,747 posts, read 7,491,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McNeley View Post
Only to TX.

As you may know, you will need to file "Part Year" resident returns for both states. You allocate any incomes accordingly. You should review the CO Part Year form to see if any non-wage income (interest, dividends, pensions, etc) is taxable by CO.

The CO Part Year form is at
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...iles/104PN.pdf

Old 05-17-2015, 09:33 PM

193 posts, read 215,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Only to TX.
Texas doesn't have state income tax

Old 05-18-2015, 10:40 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,268,426 times
Besides the state income tax, there are many other tax-like "extras" in the way of higher costs that you will find in CO versus other states (incl. TX). These are what I've noted so far: higher vehicle registration, vehicle repairs, new vehicle costs (and added cost of gas usage over the lifetime of the vehicle due to heavier 4WD/AWD), tires (higher cost due to needing additional snow traction features), storage room rates, water utility rates, and several other areas. Make sure to budget for those . If you earn less in your new location (something I see and hear a lot), then you'll get a beautiful double-whammy of losing money on two fronts.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 05-18-2015 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 10:49 AM

4,747 posts, read 7,491,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
Texas doesn't have state income tax
Missed that !

Oh well, makes for one less Part Year return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado