U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,083 times

Advertisements

Attending CTUonline and loving it. Thank you Colorado for supporting a top-notch online university community and there-by encouraging higher education across this great nation! Let's keep it affordable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,651,785 times
I wouldn't sing their praises too loudly until you translate that "education" you're getting there into a job.

I'm not a believer in for-profit schools, and that goes doubly for the online incarnations of the same. If you watch the hearings on for-profit colleges before the Senate HELP comittee earlier this year, it's pretty clear that those kinds of institutions are all about helping you sink yourself deep into student debt for their own benefit. Hence the term "for profit." The pervasiveness of the abuses chronicled in the hearings was pretty staggering.

Caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware)

Old 11-09-2011, 02:50 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,618,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
I wouldn't sing their praises too loudly until you translate that "education" you're getting there into a job.

I'm not a believer in for-profit schools, and that goes doubly for the online incarnations of the same. If you watch the hearings on for-profit colleges before the Senate HELP comittee earlier this year, it's pretty clear that those kinds of institutions are all about helping you sink yourself deep into student debt for their own benefit. Hence the term "for profit." The pervasiveness of the abuses chronicled in the hearings was pretty staggering.

Caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware)
To be completely fair, I'm not sure that state schools are doing us much of a service (value for money) either But I agree with Bob's assessment of for-profit schools. Clearly making money is more important to them than the service they provide. In a working market system, such an institution should be able to accomplish both goals...perhaps with some compromise between them, but succeeding nontheless. Shame it's not that way.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 AM

874 posts, read 923,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadnynj View Post
Attending CTUonline and loving it. Thank you Colorado for supporting a top-notch online university community and there-by encouraging higher education across this great nation! Let's keep it affordable!
Um, we, as in the state of Colorado, do nothing for this for-profit "institution. Thank the federal government for giving birth to the for-profit school industry by providing them with a steady stream or revenue.

However, the cost of attendance is hardly affordable:

CTU Online cost per credit hour: $290
Metro State College cost per credit hour: $220.70 (assuming in-state tuition, no COF stipend, and being enrolled in a full-time status)
UC-Denver cost per credit hour: $321.00 (assuming in-state tuition, no COF stipend, and being enrolled in a full-time status).

So, as resident of CO can go to the state school that produces most of CO's college graduates for far cheaper or, for a little more, can attend a top 200 national university. And that's not even counting the state stipend that would lower the cost for both school to well below $290.00 per credit hour.

Or they can get bilked by a for-profit school like CTU or Westwood.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 PM

345 posts, read 758,179 times
While their costs might be close to the same not all the credits of the "for-profit" schools can transfer to a "regular" college. Some students might be lucky if half transfer so they lose that money spent.
My sister attended CTU online and so far it has not counted for much and her student loan is around 20k.

I also found their practices to be a bit suspect. My son and I looked into National American University, 5 credits classes that were liberal arts type and supposedly transferable- cost not including books $7k! They were pushing for him to apply for FASFA to pay for the entire thing, telling me to only put my income down and not my husband's, told us to put down South Dakota as the area and it made me feel lilke they were pulling something.
He went to the local Community college instead and took 5 three credit courses, online which costs a bit more then in class; cost including books- a bit under $2k. Those classes were actually transferrable and real credits and five grand was saved.

Be careful and make sure your classes will count elsewhere in case you want to switch colleges later. Do not ask CTU because they will probably tell you their credits are good most anywhere. Call and ask your local college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or