U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:36 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,915,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
My first thought is Indian Hills, which is off of highway 285 southwest of Denver.
What's the current selling price for an acre of land in Indian Hills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 03:58 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,479,567 times
Just tossing out some suggestions:

Pinewood Springs
Drake/Glen Haven (nr Estes Park altho no clue about the drive to DIA)
Big Elk Meadows (nr Lyons)
Nederland
Area between Allenspark and Estes Park
Area along the Peak to Peak Highway

(I would suggest Meeker Park but I don't think those properties sell for less than $500K AND they rarely come on the market)

Old 04-02-2012, 01:09 PM

10 posts, read 13,189 times
I live in Woodland Park.
You will not like Deckers or Sedalia.
Or Woodland Park - Very conservative and way out with very scary dirt roads to Denver part of the way.

Monument is not so great in winter, Black Forest is horrible. Pretty conservative too. These are popular places for out of state people to choose because of the proximity to Denver. Then they find out about Monument hill in the winter (sort like a sledding hill for cars), and the crowded commute. Also, there isn't much Community feel there as so many people are moving in and out as they change jobs. Pretty pricey too. Almost all of Monument is new development.

Palmer Lake historically has been known as a Biker, as in Harley, town.

Always look at the elevation of the town as that indicates how cold and how much snow you can expect. In Woodland Park at 8500 ft we get spring an entire month later than Colorado Springs and Lots more snow and cold than Colo Springs or Manitou. Colo Springs is another very conservative place - lots of military bases and retired military live there.
The exception in the Springs area would be Manitou Springs which has been called Hippie Mayberry, small and very quaint in the foothills west of Colorado Springs much warmer winters than WP. Crowded with tourists in the summer though. Keep in mind there is a airport in Colorado Springs. About twenty minutes from Manitou. A more pleasant place to go through security. The fly up to Denver is pretty short.

The Liberal haven of Colorado is the Denver Boulder area - not cheap!
**Another VERY important thing if you buy above 6500 ft or in a canyon like area - Consider how much sun you will get. Some mountain towns are so very quaint but because they are sandwiched between hills they get limited sunlight. Always try to get southern exposure and long daylight ESP on your driveway because it will be icy all winter long if you don't in in the mountain towns. Good luck trying to sell it if you have to move in the winter.

Do not buy a place with a sod lawn. They take so much water to keep green - just isn't what nature intended for Colorado.

If I were you I would rent for the first year.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-02-2012 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 04-02-2012, 02:29 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,467,757 times
Sterling4212 wrote:
If I were you I would rent for the first year.
Good advice. I second that emotion! Get to know the area before making a purchase. Your initial impression is likely to change after you've lived in the area for awhile. Some things ( both positives and negatives ) just aren't apparent until you've spent time time in a place.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:51 PM

319 posts, read 620,831 times
Sterling 4212 also wrote:

...Then they find out about Monument hill in the winter (sort like a sledding hill for cars)...

LOL. Perfect description; worth a thousand pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or