U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:10 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,193,775 times

Advertisements

Normally private schools pay thier teachers less, but pls check individual schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 AM

87 posts, read 216,847 times
BUMP!

Like everyone else, I'm looking to roll the dice and try CO. My question is this: Where is a good central location to live temporarily while I try to pursue a job? I want to situate myself in an area where I can reach as many schools as possible. We all know physically dropping off resumes and attempting to talk to administrators can work a lot better than simply filling out an online application. Can I go wrong with the Denver area?

But, I'm more than willing to work anywhere in CO, if that makes a difference.

Also, I started my ELL endorsement in IL, and looking to continue this in CO. Where can one take graduate level courses at a reasonable rate? Any schools to avoid? In IL, thanks to the demand for people with this approval, the classes were under $600. I don't expect to be so lucky elsewhere...

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:10 PM

7,755 posts, read 16,457,602 times
BetterThenAliens wrote:
Where is a good central location to live temporarily while I try to pursue a job?
Denver!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:09 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,193,775 times
Thought I would bump this and let teacher applicants who are considering COS...D11 has closed schools so teachers are going to be laid off after this school year, and D49 is on a hiring freeze. We have openings in D8 but we are seeing over 200 applicants, almost 300 for one opening. Good luck to everyone!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:44 AM

346 posts, read 1,418,223 times
The following article is rather depressing:

More seek school jobs - The Denver Post

My application is one of the many thousands waiting to be evaluated. If you don't yet have your Colorado Teaching License, be prepared for a long process! Many districts are also cutting back. The district in which my children attend (Littleton) is closing two schools next year. The staff of those two schools will need to be placed, therefore making it nearly impossible for someone from the outside to secure a position.

By the way, turning in your application in person is not a option within most districts. They request that you register on their site and submit all necessary documents, resumes, etc. online. I did speak to the HR director at one of the districts, just to ask a question regarding the application process, but that encounter most likely will not improve my chances of finding a position.

There are some jobs out there, so I'm not giving up hope, but just wanted to let you know that the process will not be a walk in the park.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 PM

87 posts, read 216,847 times
Wow! You let the air out of my balloon rather quickly. Awful.

I'm moving out there in a few days and my intention is to apply online, but also drop off resumes. Can't hurt.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:19 PM

11 posts, read 14,578 times
Can anyone tell me if it is difficult to find a teaching job in Littleon,COl. My husband may be transfered there. Also does CO accept Fl teaching license? Thanks.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:26 PM

11 posts, read 14,578 times
Also how many years transfer in from out of state? Thank you.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:09 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,663,750 times
It is likely that your Florida license will be accepted in Colorado, but you need to contact the Colorado Dept of Education for your specific situation. You can teach on an emergency certificate for up to one year while you complete any additional requirements.

You should expect no more than 5 years of experience to transfer from your previous jobs. Hard to fill positions and districts with high needs might offer up to 7 years experience credit. Teaching jobs in Colorado also tend to pay a little less than in Florida.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 AM

7,755 posts, read 16,457,602 times
My wife, with a VA license and 15 yeasr experience at the time was given 10 years experience credit in District 51 ( Grand Junction ), but that was during the go go days of 2006, when teaching was still considered a poor paying profession. Most of the applicants back then were people who sincerely wanted to be teachers. My oh my, how the times have changed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado