Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:58 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on relocating next year, and Colorado is one of the options I've been looking at. In theory, it seems perfect. However, I've heard that there's a problem with too many people rushing to move there.

I've experienced a similar problem in my current city, and it's been a bit crazy with the constant hoards of newcomers. I don't necessarily have a problem with massive growth and expansion, but I'd prefer to get away from it for awhile.

So I have to ask - how bad is it in CO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 09:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
So I have to ask - how bad is it in CO?
What units do you want your answer in?

Old 08-26-2007, 09:41 PM

Subjective answers are fine. I don't need solid data.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:34 PM

85 posts, read 474,763 times
what area of Co are you looking at

Old 08-27-2007, 12:37 AM

Nice suburban areas, in the northern Colorado metropolitan area (basically any suburban town spanning from the Denver area to Fort Collins. The northern end of the spectrum being slightly preferred.).

I'm open to suggestions though.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:30 AM

423 posts, read 1,959,092 times
Colorado along the I25 corridor is growing FAST!!!! If you are worried about that I would look into Wyoming or Nebraska, or even eastern Colorado. These places have not seen growth in forever.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:55 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
Colorado is adding population at the rate of approximately one city of Greeley (one of Colorado's fair-sized cities) every year. Growth is out-of-control in much of Colorado, and--in most cases--it is the kind of sprawling poorly-planned growth that will have extremely negative impacts on resources, open space, government fiscal resources, and overall quality of life over time. The state talks a lot about "smart growth," but it doesn't even really know what that means, or how to practice it. The developers and real estate interests control the governmental process to work for them, not for the long-term good of the state. Colorado is making every mistake today that California made starting decades ago--Colorado hasn't learned anything from anyplace else about the negative impacts of unfettered growth. It is the great tragedy of the state that I was born in. If you want to get away from rampant growth, your options in Colorado are pretty limited--mostly to areas that may not be particularly economically attractive--and poor local economic conditions haven't even stopped rampant growth in some of those areas.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
Everything the other posters have said here is true. We're growing unsustainably fast, and the I-25 north corridor is the worst example of haphazard growth in the whole state. If you're looking for somewhere that's a little slower growth, stay far away from Weld County or nearby Larimer County! On the other hand, I don't think towns like Pueblo, for example, are really growing that fast. You could try looking down in that area.

However, I noticed that you said you were living in Las Vegas. We're not growing with THAT kind of insanity anywhere in Colorado.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:28 PM

Good point, tfox. I guess my question is sort of relative.

The situation in Vegas is that 80% of the adults you meet have lived here for less than two years.

People move here in masses, but refuse to let go of their home states, meaning that there really is no Nevada pride or Nevada culture, because no one's from here. And no one stays in a house for more than a few years, because newer and nicer areas keep popping up. It's ridiculous. You never get to know your neighbors, and it never ends up feeling like home.

I guess the better question would be - is CO anything like what I've experienced here?

Old 08-27-2007, 08:42 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Good point, tfox. I guess my question is sort of relative.

The situation in Vegas is that 80% of the adults you meet have lived here for less than two years.

People move here in masses, but refuse to let go of their home states, meaning that there really is no Nevada pride or Nevada culture, because no one's from here. And no one stays in a house for more than a few years, because newer and nicer areas keep popping up. It's ridiculous. You never get to know your neighbors, and it never ends up feeling like home.

I guess the better question would be - is CO anything like what I've experienced here?

Not that bad, but getting there. In-migration is causing many areas to lose their identity. Colorado's cultural, natural and historical heritage is at risk, too. Of course, few want to admit that growth and sprawl are the problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado