U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,484,234 times

Advertisements

I'd definitely choose Boulder over CoS, if my job was up there and I could afford it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,826,889 times
Colorado Springs is a completely different world than Boulder.
If you like military oriented, fairly conservative and somewhat isolated area, Colorado Springs is a great place.

If you like the college town atmosphere and enjoy being around a bunch of lunatics that span the political spectrum, with a party atmosphere, go with Boulder.

Ft Collins is also a College town but seems a bit more down to Earth.

There are a lot of nice towns in the Northwest of Denver that you might like as well.
Louisville, Longmont, Lafayette, Erie, Loveland, all come to mind.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 AM

841 posts, read 1,249,072 times
Josseppie, if you consider Old Colorado City as a suburb, then we need to take all of the north east and east side of the city out of the equation- and in my opinion, that's where many of the very conservative people are. Of all the "suburb" areas in Colorado Springs, Old Colorado City is one of the closest, and is very diverse in its thinkings and types of people. If we are going to go just by downtown, which is what the suggestion is to look at with Boulder, then we should only look at the small area of Colorado Springs proper, and then one would find that Colorado Springs is actually quite diverse in its thinkings.

We can't pick and choose the areas of town in order to define them as conservative and liberal- the center of Boulder vs. cherry picked areas in Colorado Springs to prove that the Springs is very conservative.

I'll never claim that Colorado Springs is liberal- that would be quite silly of me- as a whole (the entire area that has Colorado Springs as their mailing address), I'd say that the Springs certainly leans conservative- but if we're just talking the city proper (which I'm not even sure what I'd identify as the Springs proper, honestly), then you can't say that Colorado Springs is far-right.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:30 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
Josseppie, if you consider Old Colorado City as a suburb, then we need to take all of the north east and east side of the city out of the equation- and in my opinion, that's where many of the very conservative people are. Of all the "suburb" areas in Colorado Springs, Old Colorado City is one of the closest, and is very diverse in its thinkings and types of people. If we are going to go just by downtown, which is what the suggestion is to look at with Boulder, then we should only look at the small area of Colorado Springs proper, and then one would find that Colorado Springs is actually quite diverse in its thinkings.

We can't pick and choose the areas of town in order to define them as conservative and liberal- the center of Boulder vs. cherry picked areas in Colorado Springs to prove that the Springs is very conservative.

I'll never claim that Colorado Springs is liberal- that would be quite silly of me- as a whole (the entire area that has Colorado Springs as their mailing address), I'd say that the Springs certainly leans conservative- but if we're just talking the city proper (which I'm not even sure what I'd identify as the Springs proper, honestly), then you can't say that Colorado Springs is far-right.
I was not cherry picking. I was simply pointing out that Boulder is a far left town with some conservative suburbs and even neighborhoods in the city and Colorado Springs is far right with liberal suburbs and neighborhoods in the city. Now as it was pointed out those areas in the Springs are larger but that makes sense since Colorado Springs is 4 times the size of Boulder.

Now I am not saying that is a good or bad thing as it depends on what the OP is looking for in a city to live in.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:20 PM

841 posts, read 1,249,072 times
I would turn your statement around, nonetheless, that Colorado Springs is fairly moderate with very conservative suburbs.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
I would turn your statement around, nonetheless, that Colorado Springs is fairly moderate with very conservative suburbs.
Colorado Springs is NOT fairly moderate anymore then Boulder is fairly moderate.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:10 PM

808 posts, read 1,175,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
By west side do you mean Manitou Springs?
Just my unscientific-method personal observation here, but I'd be willing to bet that if ALL of Colorado Springs west of I-25 (including Manitou) were its own congressional district, the electoral races would be competitive. Sometimes the R candidate would win (perhaps somewhat more often than not) but the D candidate would have a fighting chance. The election yard signs in my neighborhood (SW, north of the Broadmoor area) tend to be evenly split between R and D candidates. Our local school district just passed a mill-levy property tax increase (almost unheard of in the "larger city") to be used for local schools.

The fact that county-wide national elections tend to break 60-40 in favor of R means that El Paso County has 100K+ "non-Republican" voters (assuming @250K eligible voters). Of those 100K+, a healthy chunk happen to live west of I-25.

Historically, Colorado Springs has been a regional hub of the arts, liberal arts education, etc. The fact that, over the last several decades, hordes of fundamentalist religious organizations moved their headquarters here and conservative military officers have retired here in large numbers does not mean our creative/arts organizations/people and our century old liberal-arts college have simply shrivelled up and died. We're still here. In large numbers. Just not a voting majority. Which is fine. It still being a free country, we've not (yet) been moved to relocation camps out in the eastern plains. I don't expect it will ever come to that.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Just my unscientific-method personal observation here, but I'd be willing to bet that if ALL of Colorado Springs west of I-25 (including Manitou) were its own congressional district, the electoral races would be competitive. Sometimes the R candidate would win (perhaps somewhat more often than not) but the D candidate would have a fighting chance. The election yard signs in my neighborhood (SW, north of the Broadmoor area) tend to be evenly split between R and D candidates. Our local school district just passed a mill-levy property tax increase (almost unheard of in the "larger city") to be used for local schools.

The fact that county-wide national elections tend to break 60-40 in favor of R means that El Paso County has 100K+ "non-Republican" voters (assuming @250K eligible voters). Of those 100K+, a healthy chunk happen to live west of I-25.
I would agree that the west side is more competitive then the east, north and south side but most of the population of the Springs is not on the west side. Overall the Springs is far right and it shows by the people in office including the mayor.

So I still stick to my original argument. Colorado Springs is as far right as Boulder is as far left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Historically, Colorado Springs has been a regional hub of the arts, liberal arts education, etc. The fact that, over the last several decades, hordes of fundamentalist religious organizations moved their headquarters here and conservative military officers have retired here in large numbers does not mean our creative/arts organizations/people and our century old liberal-arts college have simply shrivelled up and died. We're still here. In large numbers. Just not a voting majority. Which is fine. It still being a free country, we've not (yet) been moved to relocation camps out in the eastern plains. I don't expect it will ever come to that.
Agreed Colorado Springs is the regional hub for the arts for the Colorado Springs region which is El Paso and Teller counties. While that is more then Boulder, they are a suburb of Denver, that is not saying much. In fact I was surprised as to how little the Springs has to offers when it comes to arts and culture considering they have a msa of over 600,000 people.

Last edited by Josseppie; 11-28-2011 at 02:02 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 02:23 PM

808 posts, read 1,175,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I was surprised as to how little the Springs has to offers when it comes to arts and culture considering they have a msa of over 600,000 people.
I definitely agree, but being within an hour drive of Denver (far and away the largest metro area in a 600+ mile radius) creates a bit of a "rain-shadow" effect for the Springs. Why build an expensive Children's Museum when people routinely pop-up to visit one of the three in Denver anyway? Arts-oriented folks in the Springs are constantly driving up to Denver (or, surprising often, flying off to NYC, LA, or SF) for various cultural/arts events, which unfortunately has a stultifying effect on the ability of local arts organizations to grow/thrive. I recently had to inform a long-time Springs resident (worth several million) that there is in fact a local opera company led by a world-class opera star which puts on a full opera production annually. She had no idea. Another factor is the unfortunate fact that the various population demographics I previously referenced who have swelled the Springs population growth in recent decades are not famous for their support of arts and culture. It is what it is.

I notice an aroma of disdain for all things Colorado Springs from you, which is fine. There are things about it I would change were I king of the world, but on the whole it is a spectacular place to live and raise a family. I chose and continue to choose it over many other good options and continue to be amazed at the quality-of-life here. I also think Pueblo is great. A city that produces so many Medal of Honor winners per-capita is worthy of our collective respect and admiration!

As for Boulder, Colorado is a better place for having Boulder, I just don't prefer to pay the "Boulder premium" for to own a home there.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:04 PM

^

Let me just say that personally Boulder is to far left for me and Colorado Springs is to far right. I just thought it would be good for the OP to have that information as that is something I would want to know before I moved to a city or state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or