U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 9,612 times

Advertisements

I am 25 years old and currently live in Orlando, FL. I have worked my way up quickly in the hotel industry at a prominent 4 diamond hotel. I'm am debating applying for a mid-senior level management position at an upscale hotel in Aspen. I have been to Aspen a few times on vacation, which obviously give me a different view on the city then living there. It would be myself, girlfriend, nearly 2 year old daughter and 130 pound yellow lab. I know Aspen is an extremely expensive city. What are thoughts on raising a family there? How are schools? Would a job of this caliber be able to support a family? How hard would it be to find a place to live with a large dog? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 09:57 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,609,765 times
If you're thinking of the Front Desk Manager position, it's a great property, bring your A game it's a very hard one to get a job at. As far as the salary that is posted your girlfriend will likely need to find a job also to afford to live there, you will likely need to live in Basalt or Carbondale and take the bus into Aspen or pay for parking if it's not included in your employment package. The Aspen Times Aspen Colorado | AspenTimes.com News and Craigslist craigslist: high rockies classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events will help give you an idea on cost of living in the area.

It is a dog friendly place, Basalt and Carbondale are very family friendly, but it is expensive so there may be some trade-offs in what you are used to having. I love living in the mountains and am happy to sacrifice some luxuries to be here, but that is a choice you'll have to make for your family.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:08 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,505,578 times
I lived in Glenwood springs for a while.

I agree 100% with Dogmama.

The highway between them makes for a easy commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
If you're thinking of the Front Desk Manager position, it's a great property, bring your A game it's a very hard one to get a job at. As far as the salary that is posted your girlfriend will likely need to find a job also to afford to live there, you will likely need to live in Basalt or Carbondale and take the bus into Aspen or pay for parking if it's not included in your employment package. The Aspen Times Aspen Colorado | AspenTimes.com News and Craigslist craigslist: high rockies classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events will help give you an idea on cost of living in the area.

It is a dog friendly place, Basalt and Carbondale are very family friendly, but it is expensive so there may be some trade-offs in what you are used to having. I love living in the mountains and am happy to sacrifice some luxuries to be here, but that is a choice you'll have to make for your family.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:19 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,609,765 times
Meant to put Glenwood in as an option, great town and considerably warmer than Aspen, which will be much easier on Florida transplants.

Expect to work hard crazy hours, especially in the winter.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:47 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,021,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty7 View Post
I am 25 years old and currently live in Orlando, FL. I have worked my way up quickly in the hotel industry at a prominent 4 diamond hotel. I'm am debating applying for a mid-senior level management position at an upscale hotel in Aspen. I have been to Aspen a few times on vacation, which obviously give me a different view on the city then living there. It would be myself, girlfriend, nearly 2 year old daughter and 130 pound yellow lab. I know Aspen is an extremely expensive city. What are thoughts on raising a family there? How are schools? Would a job of this caliber be able to support a family? How hard would it be to find a place to live with a large dog? Thanks
Aspen is certainly an interesting town. I always described it as having the extremes in all things of the people that populate the place, beliefs, religion, environment, politics, personal morals and ethics and so on. I saw a lot of wild stuff when I was working there.

I wouldn't call Aspen a city, it's a town and probably has at most 3000 permanent residents, more down valley. Everything in Aspen is pricey. A sandwich shop I used to go to, a sub, chips and a drink was around $20. Shopping in that little Clarks Market they have is the same, pricey. Real estate is shocking in price. Depends what your salary is, but living in town will cost $$$.

Down valley is a bit cheaper, but it is still going to be a premium to live in the area. However there are 2nd job opportunities and your girlfriend will most likely need to work.

A dog will limit you on some rental options.

My opinion is that I would not live too far down valley such as living in Glenwood Springs. Highway 82, even with 4 lanes is still a dangerous road. In the winter the sun is right in your eyes in the morning. You also have a lot of traffic at times on the road and then the main issue is weather. Ice and other winter conditions can make things difficult and elk and deer herds are dangerous. I remember in one week in January a number of years ago, my company totaled 3 vehicles on Highway 82, all due to elk strikes, one driver hitting a whole herd in a blizzard, he was lucky to live.

Living that far down is a 45 minute to 1 hour commute one way and personally I just don't think it's worth it if you have to live that far from Aspen. But that's for you to decide.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:45 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,837,013 times
Wink Perfectly pleasant & expensive

Basalt is a nice town, and if at all possible I wouldn't want to live any farther than it is from Aspen.

Not that towns such as Carbondale or Glenwood Springs would not be pleasant as well, but simply from the standpoint of commuting. Aside from any wildlife, one is bound to encounter a fair amount of traffic on CO 82. I've always seen a certain amount, and that wasn't even during any peak period.

Chances are on a hotel salary, unless owning it, that you will not be able to afford to live in Aspen. A beautiful region, but one of the prices you'll pay in living there is a high cost of living, most of all in real estate and rents. Unless creative or lucky, consider Aspen out of the question as a home, but its influence in expense extending easily as far as Glenwood Springs. There and in all places between one has at least the chance of affording something, but all elevated due Aspen.

If the finances pencil out somehow, then in most other respects you may well love living there (or at least somewhere near). Schools, as far as I know, probably perfectly good. Some living in places such as Carbondale will claim the ambience of Aspen is not to their taste, and therefore avoid it. Likely equate that with a certain amount of envy. But not overlooked that one will be in the position of working in a town, and with people, that are beyond their station in life insofar as just money is concerned. Make of it what you will, but if such things can be overlooked then Aspen has a lot of charms which explain its popularity with people that could go anywhere else.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 AM

I would blame the drivers for driving so fast in a "blizzard" that they struck a elk hard enough to total a vehicle.
operator error.

As mentioned this hy-way is highly traveled.
The plows do a very good job of keeping it clear.
This makes it possible for the folks who drive sports cars year around to travel up and down the valley with ease.

Glenwood springs will have places that will except a dog.

The only proublem your going to run into this time of year is "your late to the party"
Most of if not all the winter employes have already moved in and rentals are going fast.

Ask the hotel manager for the names of some property managers or realtors that can help you find a property to rent in the valley.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I would blame the drivers for driving so fast in a "blizzard" that they struck a elk hard enough to total a vehicle.
operator error.

As mentioned this hy-way is highly traveled.
The plows do a very good job of keeping it clear.
This makes it possible for the folks who drive sports cars year around to travel up and down the valley with ease.

Glenwood springs will have places that will except a dog.

The only proublem your going to run into this time of year is "your late to the party"
Most of if not all the winter employes have already moved in and rentals are going fast.

Ask the hotel manager for the names of some property managers or realtors that can help you find a property to rent in the valley.
The problem with Hwy 82 is much of it is at lower altitudes, so you get more freeze thaw effect, especially in the morning as the sun dances in and out of clouds and glare ice is a big issue. A lot of people always think of Vail Pass and other similar places being more dangerous but in Colorado it's often the roads at 5000 to 7000 feet in elevation where the temp jumps around the freezing mark and you end up with a light film of slippery ice on the road.

Elk can run out in front of you at any time and when you hit a 1000 pound beast, that's the end of your car.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:53 AM

yYes yes it's a 4 lane high way.
They keep it safe for the commuters it is no different than any other highway that is subject to winter weather.
It is highly traveled.
Winter driving conditions.
It not a bad drive at all when compared to other roads of the same elevation.

I know all about elk,
I've driven threw herds of them and they are very tasty.
I was questions the speed they were traveling at in a "blizzard" with the limited viability associated with a "blizzard"
A blizzard means that the following conditions are expected to prevail for a period of 3 hours or longer: Sustained wind or frequent gusts to 35 miles an hour or greater; and Considerable falling and/or blowing snow (i.e., reducing visibility frequently to less than mile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The problem with Hwy 82 is much of it is at lower altitudes, so you get more freeze thaw effect, especially in the morning as the sun dances in and out of clouds and glare ice is a big issue. A lot of people always think of Vail Pass and other similar places being more dangerous but in Colorado it's often the roads at 5000 to 7000 feet in elevation where the temp jumps around the freezing mark and you end up with a light film of slippery ice on the road.

Elk can run out in front of you at any time and when you hit a 1000 pound beast, that's the end of your car.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
yYes yes it's a 4 lane high way.
They keep it safe for the commuters it is no different than any other highway that is subject to winter weather.
It is highly traveled.
Winter driving conditions.
It not a bad drive at all when compared to other roads of the same elevation.

I know all about elk,
I've driven threw herds of them and they are very tasty.
I was questions the speed they were traveling at in a "blizzard" with the limited viability associated with a "blizzard"
A blizzard means that the following conditions are expected to prevail for a period of 3 hours or longer: Sustained wind or frequent gusts to 35 miles an hour or greater; and Considerable falling and/or blowing snow (i.e., reducing visibility frequently to less than mile)
Sure a lot of days it's fine, but a lot of days it is not and as I said it's up to the OP whether they want to drive 45 minutes to 1 hour one way to get to work. My point is they should factor that into their thinking in terms of where they want to live. I had to drive that road back and forth all the time so for me I'm fine with it, but for people from Florida, it's something they may not want to be dealing with for 2 hours of their day in winter.

There is good reason the locals dub the road, even in it's now 4 lane form, "Killer 82".

I know in the one case the driver was driving slow and hit a section where visibility went to nil when he hit multiple elk. However I don't remember the play by play on all 3 accidents. In any case, it can and does happen.

I've driven 600,000 miles between Denver and Aspen and all points in between, which I logged in just over 7 years, so I'm pretty familiar with the roads and road conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado