U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times

Advertisements

In the Nat Geo article linked by IDUNN, there is an excellent set of photo's with very informative captions that explain the tar sands process and the area where they are mined.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 12:20 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,618,652 times
My brother works there for Suncor. Fracking is so much less invasive than the tarsands plus it's cheaper than drilling in the gulf.
We need it so let's go get it! RP

Last edited by proveick; 11-17-2011 at 12:34 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 PM

18,863 posts, read 8,860,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
My brother works there for Suncor. Fracking is so much less invasive than the tarsands plus it's cheaper than drilling in the gulf.
We need it so let's go get it! RP
Whoa. I don't know much about fracking. But, I doubt it's a simple as you're saying.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Whoa. I don't know much about fracking. But, I doubt it's a simple as you're saying.
It is now the technology has come along. They can drill down thousands of feet and then horizontally hundreds of feet down to a foot. And tech is getting better and better. People I've talked to say that it will not be long before they can go down 20000 feet if they want.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 PM

16,438 posts, read 18,510,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
The tarsands are just part of the cost of living in the 21st century. Would you rather deplete the Middle East oil and save ours till the sheet hits the fan ($200/barrel)? RP
That has been the plan all along...

Old 11-17-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It is now the technology has come along. They can drill down thousands of feet and then horizontally hundreds of feet down to a foot. And tech is getting better and better. People I've talked to say that it will not be long before they can go down 20000 feet if they want.
I'm not questioning the ability of the technology. I'm questioning the safety factors. I hope we aren't about to commit to another round of mining that will duplicate the environmental disasters that one can see all over Colorado and the rest of the nation from Pennsylvania to southern California.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:00 PM

33 posts, read 48,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Fracking takes a lot of water, and an unpleasant chemical mix to boot. Holding companies to clean up the reclaimed slurry is also a problem. Here in TX and other places, the concern is that the chemicals will leach into aquifers/groundwater.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:14 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorTexan View Post
Fracking takes a lot of water, and an unpleasant chemical mix to boot. Holding companies to clean up the reclaimed slurry is also a problem. Here in TX and other places, the concern is that the chemicals will leach into aquifers/groundwater.
Looking at the wikipedia article on fracking, they link to a congressional report on the chemicals used of which there are quite a few listed, down around page 8 of the report.

The water requirements are not chump change either: "...initial drilling operation may consume from 65,000 gallons to 600,000 gal. Over its lifetime an average well will require an additional 5 million gallons of water..."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:24 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Looking at the wikipedia article on fracking, they link to a congressional report on the chemicals used of which there are quite a few listed, down around page 8 of the report.

The water requirements are not chump change either: "...initial drilling operation may consume from 65,000 gallons to 600,000 gal. Over its lifetime an average well will require an additional 5 million gallons of water..."
Around where I live, at least with Shell(which pretty much own all the rights around here), they are recycling all the water at recycling plants they set up that recycle 500,000 gallons an hour, 24 hours a day.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
You keep talking about the upsides. You seem to be ignoring serious groundwater pollution due to fracking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado