U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,476,515 times

Advertisements

OK this is from a former resident of Leadville. First, the "commute" from any place else other than Leadville will be difficult and often "iffy"...There is snow almost year round...I can remember playing softball in July and a "lite" snow coming down.

The seasons are: Snow, snow snow and a quick spring like season with ... you guessed it...SNOW. If your not into winter sports...well I suggest you "get with the program" otherwise you'll suffer serious cabin fever.

You will need a GOOD 4WD for both of you.

It is very very easy to be overcome by the spectacular views to be had anywhere in Leadville...they are really breathtaking.

On a fun note many of the locals gold mine during the umm err summer or what ever you want to call it and they can make up to $10,000. extra a year...not bad for a hobby.

The mine is really the only game in town as far as employment is concerned, Leadville has few shops and a lot of bars, a small extension of the community college and a very small hospital. You will see an older subdivision there and those houses were moved down the mountain from Climax because the weather was so bad, I think it was done in the late 50's or early 60's - I just don't remember.

When you look at a map and see Aspen is real close...not really that road is closed for much of the year and it's about a lane and 1/2 wide and scary to travel during that umm err "summer" time. Any time you leave Leadville you will mostly head over the "big pass" to Copper or Breckenridge.

All that being said, Leadville has quite a history about it, it was the gold and silver mining capitol and many of the old buildings in town reflect that long ago wealth...they even have an old "opry house"...Baby Doe lived and died there. It almost became the capitol of CO at one time. You can still see plenty of tailing piles around the town but beware there are also tons of old mine shafts.

Locals used to say "don't trust anyone under 10,000 feet" or "Leadville's half way between Balltown and Climax".

On a last note, yup at 10,000+ feet you will feel it and many get altitude sickness, I sure did and every time I went downhill and came back up I got it again, some don't have a problem, some have a mild case. If you have any underlying health issues it is something to seriously consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 09:57 AM

44 posts, read 113,359 times
How did the interview go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado