U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:34 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,365,466 times

Advertisements

Fine here is a graph with numbers on it.

The graph was from here: http://greatinvestmentstrategies.com...end-investing/

They site this source in the graph so I posted the link as well: http://www.solarbuzz.com/

As you can see solar is growing at a exponential rate roughly every 2 years. As Ray says in my second article posted it will continue so in 8 doublings solar will be able to over take fossil fuels but the tipping point is sooner then that, 4-5 doublings away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 02:40 PM

874 posts, read 924,586 times
^That's not cost, efficiency, or anything else that you've mentioned. That's the total capacity (in Gigawatts) of all solar installations worldwide; a completely different variable.

It has nothing to do with anything else you were talking about in any of your previous posts.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:57 PM

Here is a great story by the Woodward Report. It goes into all the details you would want and while its not directly related to Colorado this is why solar fields are popping up in our state.

In this edition of The Woodward Report, journalist Lasse Engelbrecht Jensen explores the future of solar energy from The Mohave Desert in California, to MIT in Boston (http://pv.mit.edu/index.html - broken link) to the production lines in China. Solar energy has the capacity to fully meet the world's energy needs within the next 20 years, says futurist Ray Kurzweil, and his predictions on technology have been right before. At the same time, ambitious goals in California, the increased use of nanotechnology and unique research at the World's leading universities also suggest that solar could dominate the energy market before 2030.

en.jyskebank.tv // Jyske Bank // Ray Kurzweil: Solar energy will meet the world's energy needs in 20 years

According to Ken Zweibel, Director of the George Washington Solar Institute, solar use to cost 100 times more 30 years ago then it does today. Every doubling of installations causes the cost of solar to go down 20% and it has been holding true for 30 years and they believe it will continue to hold true.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:02 PM

20,321 posts, read 37,832,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Here is a great story by the Woodward Report. It goes into all the details you would want and while its not directly related to Colorado this is why solar fields are popping up in our state.

In this edition of The Woodward Report, journalist Lasse Engelbrecht Jensen explores the future of solar energy from The Mohave Desert in California, to MIT in Boston (http://pv.mit.edu/index.html - broken link) to the production lines in China. Solar energy has the capacity to fully meet the world's energy needs within the next 20 years, says futurist Ray Kurzweil, and his predictions on technology have been right before. At the same time, ambitious goals in California, the increased use of nanotechnology and unique research at the World's leading universities also suggest that solar could dominate the energy market before 2030.

en.jyskebank.tv // Jyske Bank // Ray Kurzweil: Solar energy will meet the world's energy needs in 20 years
It would be nice if it works out that way, and I hope I live long enough to see it, but the key thing to keep in mind is that Ray Kurzweil's remarks are of the "could" variety, for which a tremendous amount of research and investment must be done. I'm not holding my breath, especially with a Congress that is for sale to the big money, and no money is bigger than the oil and coal barons who WILL fight any way they can to show down or stop any competitors.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:02 PM

What's the Woodward Report? Are they a reputable media organization? A Facebook page? Some random guy's blog?

I'll let you guess the answer....

Old 11-16-2011, 03:05 PM

20,321 posts, read 37,832,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
What's the Woodward Report? Are they a reputable media organization? A Facebook page? Some random guy's blog?

I'll let you guess the answer....
Yep, Facebook.

Solar is coming, some day, but it will take a lot of time and money.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:09 PM

^True, and as has been mentioned before, it is very dependent on developing electrical storage devices that are a large degree of magnitude more efficient than what is available today.

It's not going to be 2020 when you see this revolution, we've got decades to go but I'm pretty optimistic about 2050.

Last edited by wong21fr; 11-16-2011 at 03:23 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
It would be nice if it works out that way, and I hope I live long enough to see it, but the key thing to keep in mind is that Ray Kurzweil's remarks are of the "could" variety, for which a tremendous amount of research and investment must be done. I'm not holding my breath, especially with a Congress that is for sale to the big money, and no money is bigger than the oil and coal barons who WILL fight any way they can to show down or stop any competitors.
Perhaps I am overly optimistic but I have been studying what he says for sometime now by reading his book, The Singularity is Near, and watching his movie, Transcended Man, and watching his leactures on Youtube to places like Google and the National Science Foundation and his numbers are backed up by evidence that seems sound. I could go into more detail but that really starts to get off the topic of this thread (oil fields in Colorado) and while solar fields does impact that directly his other ideas do not. However I will say that many top people, including Bill Gates, says he is one to listen to when it comes to future predictions and that includes the future of solar.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:26 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,621,622 times
Default Alternative Energy in Colorado

It was suggested...nay, encouraged on another thread. So let's start it here.

Present your thoughts, and more importantly your DATA on energy alternatives to fossil fuels throughout Colorado. DON'T FORGET TO PROVIDE YOUR SOURCES. Fossil fuels are known contributors to pollution as well as potentially damaging to land and local geologies, but are well subsidized and supported by our current infrastructure, making them cheap, fast and accessible in a world of rising energy costs.

Remember...thoughts are welcome, but DATA IS BETTER and PROVIDE SOURCES!

Get ready...get set...and GO!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 AM

I will start my first post here from where I was continuing in the other thread. That in 10 to 20 years solar will be cheaper then fossil fuels and will start to take over as the main source of energy production.

In Colorado southern Colorado is the best place for solar panels, more specifically in the San Louis Valley and eastern Pueblo county. Both areas are being considered now for large solar farms and I suspect you will see them developed by 2020 creating thousands of jobs.

The article for my source:

Wind, solar and four other forms of renewable resources have the potential to outstrip energy demand by 2020 and replace fossil fuels as a power source according to a new report by the United Nations.

The link: UN: renewable resources can outpace global energy demand by 2020 | VentureBeat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or