U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 04:06 PM

171 posts, read 564,211 times

Advertisements

Hey,

So I'm thinking of transferring to Colorado Mesa University in Grand Juction and had a few questions I know the people here can shed some light on:

First and foremost: is GJ safe? Can I walk around at anytime and not feel unsafe?

Is there shopping and cheap food near the campus?

Is the campus centrally located?

Anything else I should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 04:46 PM

16,171 posts, read 20,176,426 times
The college is pretty much centrally located, yes. It takes up the area from North Ave. to Elm Ave.(going North) and 12th to 7th St. (going West.) There has been recent construction there around the campus over the last several years with more property acquired for expansion. North of the campus is Community Hospital and several other smaller medical buildings. South of the campus (North Ave.) is Stocker Stadium (football) and Suplezio Field (baseball). Expansion has been going on for Suplezio as we're getting a minor league baseball franchise, that construction should wrap up by May. Just south of there is Lincoln Park. The neighborhoods surrounding the park are good. It's an older area but some nice homes in that neighborhood. I almost chose that area after umpteen years on the front range, settled on Fruita instead. The housing east of the campus are smaller homes and apartment houses. You do have issues there like any other college town, but it certainly is not crime ridden. You should be ok! Not that the city is crime free, it has had its issues like most cities its size.

Regarding cheap food and shopping: You have the basic fast food places on North Ave. within blocks from the campus on North Ave. You have Taco Bell, McDonalds, Taco Johns, Pizza Hut, Village Inn Restaurant, Kentucky Fried Chicken, etc. One place that I personally eat at if I'm going through the area is a small Chinese buffet that is pretty reasonable (11th and North), a lot of students frequent the place.

City Market (part of Kroger Foods) is on 3rd and Rood. By car it's maybe 5 minutes from the college. Albertsons is only a couple minutes away on 12th and Orchard where there are some other businesses helpful to students (laundromat and a Rite-Aid Drug store.)

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-21-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 11:01 AM

16,171 posts, read 20,176,426 times
A couple other comments in regards to shopping. You have two Walmarts in town, the college is pretty in the middle between the two, with one on North Ave. and the newer one on I-70 bypass opposite Sam's Club. K-Mart is at 28 Rd. and North. Mesa Mall is a few minutes west Of Sam's Club, and your basic big box retailers (Lowe's, Old Navy, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc., are all nearby.) I think you'll find it takes you pretty much the same amount of time to get to all these businesses from where the college is, with a couple exceptions. Also, there's been a fair amount of newer construction and a couple roundabouts going in around the downtown area. I'm not a downtown guy with the exception of a few concerts a year at the Avalon (nice place!) The college also has sponsored some concerts in the past (Robinson Hall.)

Well, can't think of anything else right at the moment. Any ??'s- send me a dm, be happy to help. Good luck!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-21-2011 at 06:51 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 02:05 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,176,838 times
I graduated from Mesa State College (now CMU) in 2009. What program (major) are you going to transfer into? The school has grown a lot even in the couple of years since I have been there.

I have lived in the college area since 2002 (walked to school every day). I walk all over the area to the grocery store and other places. I feel like it's pretty safe.

It's a good city to bicycle around in too, instead of driving the car everywhere.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:08 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
Default Yes it's very safe

I lived in Grand Junction for a year and a half and consider it one of the safest places I've ever lived.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
By C-D's own profile of Grand Junction, its overall crime statistics were consistently above the national average until 2010. As is the case with many places that I have researched, areas with heavy in-migration and population growth usually see a serious deterioration in favorable crime statistics. As the economy has soured in Grand Junction and in-migration has slowed, crime has declined. This seems counter-intuitive, but as the economy slows, people who tend to make their living pursuing criminal activities look for greener pastures, just like many non-criminals do.

As for Grand Junction, there are many safe areas in Grand Junction and a few that are not especially safe at all. Often, they are separated by only a few blocks. No one should think that it's a crime-free utopia--it's not. Nor is it a war zone like so many other areas of the Southwest--especially the border areas that are seeing crime and threats to personal safety spiral out of control. Like most of Colorado, the biggest issue over the longer terms with crime in Grand Junction is the severe fiscal crisis in Colorado that appears to be more or less permanent. The Colorado law enforcement and judicial systems are, frankly, overloaded and the state and local governments' rapidly deteriorating fiscal conditions means that situation will only get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado