U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 AM

41 posts, read 108,119 times

Advertisements

This is a silly question, especially since I'm heading up in that direction in less than a week. But is Montrose a pretty town? Are the views of the mountains comparable to those in the Denver metro area? I grew up in the west Denver metro area and we could always find some spectacular views of the mountains.... is Montrose the same way?
While I'm asking questions, what are some differences between Montrose and Delta?
Haha and finally, for someone with a job, is Montrose a good place to live? I'll only be moving up there if I get the job I'm heading up to interview for, so the horrible job market isn't much of an issue. Is it a place where a fairly young couple can have fun and raise a family?

Thanks! Everyone on the forum has been super helpful and I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 AM

2,395 posts, read 4,160,231 times
Montrose doesn't really have the best mountain views, every time I've been there it seems like it's been so hazy you can barely see mountains anyway. Montrose is "near" a lot of nice areas with mountain views though.

Ridgway, Ouray, Black Canyon, Grand Mesa, etc..

Old 11-22-2011, 09:30 AM

10,515 posts, read 11,623,635 times
Oh I'm sure I'll be corrected since I haven't live here since the beginning of time but in my opinion, I think so. The views of the San Juans to the south are very nice. Montrose seems to me, to be well maintained, clean and they have recently build center planters along HWY 550 through town, and have upgraded many intersections. Downtown Main Street area is very nice. Be sure to eat at The Stone House while there. Montrose is over 20,000 population, Delta is around 8,000. Good luck to you.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:31 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
The view to the south toward the San Juans is quite nice. Unfortunately, the south end of Montrose has been crapped up with all the big-box retail junk one would find in any metro suburban blob. That really detracts from the former attractiveness of the town as a whole. Montrose has become far more of a transplant-yuppieville than has Delta, the latter still retaining at least some of its agrarian character. In both, however, agriculture has been under full assault from the land developers. That has slowed with the recession/depression now gripping the area, and both towns are way overbuilt for what little housing demand there is. Understand, too, that if you lose that job that you may have in Montrose, finding another will be exceedingly difficult and you will likely be leaving the area to find work.

Finally, the western valleys of Colorado, including the Uncompahgre Valley in which Montrose and Delta sit, are very prone to severe air inversions in winter. Those inversions can trap a lot of air pollution and, unlike the Front Range with its frequent Chinook winds, those inversions can last for many days or even a couple of weeks at a time without relief--especially if there is snow on the ground. Montrose gets somewhat more wind than Delta, so the inversion there may "break" more frequently. Neither town gets very much snow in the winter, but what does come may stay on the ground for a long time if the inversion sets in. Some winters will see the ground bare and brown all winter, while another may see snow laying on the ground for weeks--it just depends on the year.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:05 PM

41 posts, read 108,119 times
Well since I would be a transplant (I guess), I can't hold anything against Montrose for having a lot of them.
Jazzlover, would you characterize the economic woes in Western Colorado as being that much different than the hardships afflicting most rural areas in the US? I think that a lack of jobs is an issue pretty much everywhere, but especially outside of major cities. I hear complaints very similar to yours here in rural Texas.
I think the job thing is just the price you pay for living outside of the city. If you lose a job in Muleshoe, Texas, you're going to have to look elsewhere for employment also. My wife's a country girl and I'm a Colorado boy, so we think Montrose sounds like a nice win-win. But I won't know till I go there, I guess.
Jim9251 thanks for the advice! I will certainly try that restaraunt out.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff09m View Post
Well since I would be a transplant (I guess), I can't hold anything against Montrose for having a lot of them.
Jazzlover, would you characterize the economic woes in Western Colorado as being that much different than the hardships afflicting most rural areas in the US? I think that a lack of jobs is an issue pretty much everywhere, but especially outside of major cities. I hear complaints very similar to yours here in rural Texas.
I think the job thing is just the price you pay for living outside of the city. If you lose a job in Muleshoe, Texas, you're going to have to look elsewhere for employment also. My wife's a country girl and I'm a Colorado boy, so we think Montrose sounds like a nice win-win. But I won't know till I go there, I guess.
Jim9251 thanks for the advice! I will certainly try that restaraunt out.
Western Colorado is a less attractive economy because, while jobs are few and low-paying, living costs have become as high or higher than in the Front Range metroplex. Day-to-day expenses--food, fuel, etc.--have always been a little higher than the Front Range, but housing costs used to be much cheaper. That changed about 10 years ago, and the current real estate crash still has not brought real estate costs in line with local living costs. I doubt that will change until the current economic crash finishes decimating middle-class wealth on a national basis, and the influx of monied retirees and trust-funders that continue to distort the local real estate market comes to a screeching halt. I predict that is coming, but exactly when is still not clear.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM

10,515 posts, read 11,623,635 times
And without the doom and gloom...good luck in Montrose. I think you'll really like it there. Here's some info:

Visit Montrose, CO

Montrose, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Montrose County - Official Website

Montrose Daily Press: Montrose, Colorado

Old 11-22-2011, 05:01 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,413,601 times
It is Awesome AND.....so are the towns around it!!! You will be fine as frogs hair!!

Old 11-24-2011, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 13,342 times
Quote:
This is a silly question, especially since I'm heading up in that direction in less than a week. But is Montrose a pretty town? Are the views of the mountains comparable to those in the Denver metro area? I grew up in the west Denver metro area and we could always find some spectacular views of the mountains.... is Montrose the same way?
Well, I think that Montrose is pretty, but "pretty" is rather subjective.

There are some pretty views of the San Juans to the south of the town, but it's probably not like Denver's views (having never lived in Denver, I can't say for sure). The San Juans are beautiful, but they aren't exactly next door to Montrose. Plus sometimes the air is rather hazy (not often).

You get some beautiful views of mesas and the Black Canyon, though.

Quote:
While I'm asking questions, what are some differences between Montrose and Delta?
Well, the short of it is that there is more to do in Montrose. Montrose is a lot larger than Delta, so it has more restaurants (I recommend the Horsefly Microbrewery, Stone House, Camp Robber, and Pahgre's) and stores and movie theaters (Delta's theater only has one screen, so you are stuck with the same movie playing for at least a week, sometimes longer).

I've also noticed a weather difference between Montrose and Delta. Montrose (inside the city limits) gets more snow and generally has cooler weather than Delta (inside the city limits). Montrose is about 700 feet higher elevation than Delta. Delta rarely has snow. There seems to be some magical line in Olathe (about halfway between Montrose and Delta), where on the north there is little snow and to the south of it there is more snow. Delta is also more "desert-y" in my opinion. Delta has a great view of Grand Mesa, which I consider to be pretty too. Of course, there is much more snow in the rural areas like Hotchkiss and the like.

Quote:
Haha and finally, for someone with a job, is Montrose a good place to live? I'll only be moving up there if I get the job I'm heading up to interview for, so the horrible job market isn't much of an issue. Is it a place where a fairly young couple can have fun and raise a family?
Well, I think so. I actually work in Delta County but live in Montrose; Montrose just "fits" better for me. It depends on what you like to do. Montrose is relatively small and the surrounding area is rural. If you like the outdoors, Montrose is ideal. If you are more cityfolk, it will likely be somewhat of a shock. Grand Junction has more to do, but it is still relatively small, and you don't get many of the big city niceties until you hit Denver or Salt Lake City.

I think Montrose is a good place to raise a family, but then again, I have no children, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

But if you like the outdoors, I think it is a safe bet that you will like it. There are several national parks within a half day's drive (Black Canyon, Colorado National Monument, Mesa Verde, Moab, etc), not to mention all of the national forests and wilderness areas and state parks and other areas. Curecanti National Recreation Area is beautiful in the summer - the water can be a little chilly (higher in elevation than Montrose), but the drive is gorgeous and the beach areas are nice. I've been to Grand Mesa National Forest several times and they have some great hiking trails.

Montrose has all four seasons, although some are shorter than others. Summers are hot in the day but cool down at night. I live in a two story house and never used the AC this summer - just stayed downstairs during the day and then turned on the fan at night. Winter nights can be bitter - last winter the wind chill was down to -20F (from what I can recall). The area is windy, especially in the spring. The people, in my opinion, are friendly. I have lived in Montrose for a year and have made several good friends. The feel is rather laid back, which is very different from where I am originally from.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:19 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
Quote:
This is a silly question, especially since I'm heading up in that direction in less than a week. But is Montrose a pretty town? Are the views of the mountains comparable to those in the Denver metro area?
I would answer the first question with a "sort of." It's pretty in a desert-with-mountains-in-the-distance kind of way. Like most of Colorado, it's brown most of the year. Anybody who appreciates nature and enjoys spending time in the outdoors will certainly appreciate the area. There are some great and expansive views to be had.

I would say the answer to the second is no. The mountains near Montrose are the western slope of the Rockies and the appearance is quite different than the Front Range. The Front Range has a bunch of towering peaks that are very prominent. In contrast the highest peaks visible east of Montrose are much lower. The vegetation is different.

Quote:
Montrose is located right up against the mountains. Delta is located more in the desert.

Quote:
It all depends on your tolerance of small, isolated towns and your tolerance of the weather. If you're okay living in a small town far removed from civiliazation, and don't mind dry weather, then you probably will enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado