U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 AM

486 posts, read 1,235,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
Not sure if the OP is still following this thread but here's a summary of the problem:

Most of Canon Citys water comes from DeWeese reservoir, up near Westcliffe. It's not pristine, but it's a lot better than the contaminated ground water around CC. Well water might be OK for livestock but I wouldn't drink it. Google "Canon City water report". The city tests their water and lists all of the contaminates. It's all online.
where did you get that info?

Canon City's drinking water comes from the Arkansas River - always has.

From the city website:

"Where does my drinking water come from?
Raw water is pumped from the Arkansas River to a 48 million gallon settling pond. After settling, the water is then pumped to the Water Treatment Plant located at 103 Tunnel Drive. The water is then treated, settled and filtered. Finally, fluoride is adjusted to optimal level and chlorine is added for disinfection prior to entering the water distribution system."

Official Website of the City of Caon City

In Canon City, we drink from the same cup as Salida, Pueblo, etc.

There is only one part of Canon City that has been found to have contaminated ground water from Cotter (Lincoln Park - south of the Arkansas River)

Lincoln Park is irrigated by water from the Deweese reservoir, which comes from Grape Creek - an off-shoot of the Arkansas River.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM

463 posts, read 943,305 times
Good to know. A friend of mine used to live there and he told me that their water came from Deweese. They lived south of the Ark, in Lincoln Park so that makes sense.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:13 PM

9 posts, read 11,276 times
We just moved to Florence after searching for a nice affordable place to retire early, after living in a very large city.
This is it. You can buy a decent house for 100k, the prisons do not have any impact on the town. There is a nice well educated group of young people retired here and several families with money who like to live normal lives with normal sized houses, raising somewhat normal kids.
You can walk anywhere, can't get lost for long without someone asking if you need help or just chatting. Florence is seeing a younger well connected group of people moving in to enjoy the surrounding hills, mountain park, hiking, biking and just moving about. It is strengthing it's position in the arts and has several writers, photographers, artists etc., living here as well as upgrading the antique stores. There is only one personal goods store the rest of the stores serve the collector and tourism trade. We have no t- shirt shops! No big box stores either in town. Great place for business start ups and light industrial as land is cheap, the views are great and history is deep.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:53 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,107,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence historian 2012 View Post
the prisons do not have any impact on the town.
I disagree with that statement, but not in the way that most people think. The prisons in Fremont County have a very definite impact on Cañon City and Florence: they provide hundreds of stable jobs that go on year after year. Those jobs may not be the best-paying by Front Range standards, but they are also much less affected by economic fluctuations. To be sure, Colorado's dismal long-term fiscal condition will negatively affect the Colorado Dept. of Corrections, but probably to a lesser extent than other agencies. The Federal prison near Florence is one of the highest security prisons in the nation--designed to house the worst criminals of all--so it is probably immune to federal budget cuts.

So, to say the prisons have no impact is incorrect. They essentially form the economic base of Fremont County, and probably always will. As for other industry, it forms a much smaller part of the Fremont County economy than it did several decades ago. The number of industrial operations in the county has been in decline for a long time. Thinking otherwise is just wishful thinking.

Last edited by jazzlover; 05-20-2012 at 09:30 AM..

Old 06-10-2012, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 8,185 times
A friend & I visited CC in May as a fact finding visit with the thought of possible relocation. We talked to a lot of people & have emailed the Chamber of Commerce, Judi from Tourism Dept. & actually met up with the wife of one of the ministers in town, on our flight out of Colorado Springs. I am a semi-retired RN & work part time here in Yucaipa, Ca. for a Home Health Agency. I would probably look to do the same in CC. I guess it will depend on whether we can sell our homes here without a big loss on when we can move. But I have one last question. Is there a hunting season in CC? And is it a big deal with people showing off their "kills" in their trucks? I guess I am asking about the "redneck" population in CC. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:00 PM

4,627 posts, read 9,117,510 times
I don't live in CC, so can't answer whether or not there is a "redneck" population there. I don't hunt and I'm not a redneck, but I wonder about your definition of redneck. According to the dictionary, redneck means: either (1) an uneducated white farm laborer, especially from the South, or (2) a bigot or reactionary,especially from the rural working class. Are these the kind of people that you are worried about running into in CC?

There are a lot of people in Colorado who hunt for the pleasure of the sport. When they get their kill, they have to transport it from the woods to the place where it is butchered, and they do that by putting the animal in their pick-up truck (wouldn't want to put it inside my mini-van!). So, yes, you may see some people driving from point a to point b with a dead animal. I don't like to see it, either, but I just look the other way and don't judge the people doing the hunting. My ex-boss had his house filled with trophies from hunting expeditions around the world.

Point is, you cannot call people who hunt rednecks, or assume that people who are driving with a dead animal in their truck are "showing off". Sounds like maybe you aren't ready for small town living in Colorado.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:04 PM

319 posts, read 620,358 times
As I have come to know my small-town, rural neighbors, I have developed a new regard for the hunters among them. Hunters are like everyone else. Some of them take the sport seriously and bring a sense of honor and respect for themselves, nature, and wildlife; others carry their egos along with their beer supply and bright lights, and try to cut corners wherever they can.

Don't know any specifics about CC, but hunting in Colorado is well-regulated, brings sigificant economic benefits to small towns, and helps to thin over-productive herds in the face of skyrocketing human populations encroaching onto natural grazing lands and wilderness areas. It's like summer tourism or autumn leaf-peeping or any other seasonal cycles that we all learn to live with even if they bring some sense of discomfort or inconvenience.

And, for the carnivores among us, fresh-caught meat from the freezer is always a useful local currency and welcome addition to potluck casseroles.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:37 PM

1,631 posts, read 1,911,733 times
I'm a federal employee who visited Florence while the complex was under construction. Almost every business in town displayed a sign saying, "Welcome FCC Florence."

I have since returned to the facility a few times (with other federal officials) and we patronized local businesses. I can't see how FCC Florence can't have any impact on the local area. I know the area has built up considerably since the complex has been there.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:03 PM

20,311 posts, read 37,810,444 times
I saw this in Canon City....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:11 PM

319 posts, read 620,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Funny. Thanks for the laugh.

There's probably a Mitt Romney reference in there somewhere, but I'll leave that to the politicos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado