U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:04 PM

3,494 posts, read 12,716,269 times

Advertisements

anyone know anything about these towns? i would love to get any info about the area in general....lifestyle, culture, quality of life, positives and negatives, cost of living, recreational opportunities etc...
i am considering possibly transferring with my job there. i am a single fortysomething female with dogs, love to hunt, fish, ski, camp..and am a cowgirl type (like trail riding, working cattle, rodeos)
thanks yall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 11:28 AM

486 posts, read 1,236,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
anyone know anything about these towns? i would love to get any info about the area in general....lifestyle, culture, quality of life, positives and negatives, cost of living, recreational opportunities etc...
i am considering possibly transferring with my job there. i am a single fortysomething female with dogs, love to hunt, fish, ski, camp..and am a cowgirl type (like trail riding, working cattle, rodeos)
thanks yall

Just from your very brief description of yourself, I would say that Florence or Canon City would be a very good fit for you. You might also consider the third sister town of Penrose (all within 10 minutes of each other in Fremont County). Penrose has many horse properties and has a more rural feel.

Florence is a small town - very cute - known for it's antique stores. Canon City is larger, a mid-size town, with a hospital, Walmart, Home Depot but also many rural properties with livestock even within "city limits".

I find it very pastoral and peaceful. There are several anual rodeos around here and I know many people who are into that lifestyle, as well as fishing, hunting, etc.

Cost of living here is very low by Colorado standards (affordable rent and real estate). Quality of life is very good if you like the small town/rural lifestyle.

Negatives are the Superfund contamination site from the Uranium processing plant south of Canon City. There are a few threads on this forum which can give you more details. Also, some people consider the many prisons around here to be negative. Generally, the prisons are not an issue. You may see a prison bus drive by, or see prison guards in their uniforms at the grocery store. Not a big deal.

I know lots of "cowgirl" types here locally. One of my good friends is a barrel racer. I know several people who have horses, and they are not rich people. Just working class folks who love the rural lifestyle.

Fremont county is a pretty honest, real place. This is one of the more untouched areas of Colorado (untouched by the plasticity and fakeness of commercial and tourism development and urban sprawl).

Come check it out!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:33 AM

being a prison town, doesnt bother me at all. i live in a small rural town with 5 prisons. matter of fact, the place i would be working at would be the ADX supermax/FCC/FCI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
Just from your very brief description of yourself, I would say that Florence or Canon City would be a very good fit for you. You might also consider the third sister town of Penrose (all within 10 minutes of each other in Fremont County). Penrose has many horse properties and has a more rural feel.

Florence is a small town - very cute - known for it's antique stores. Canon City is larger, a mid-size town, with a hospital, Walmart, Home Depot but also many rural properties with livestock even within "city limits".

I find it very pastoral and peaceful. There are several anual rodeos around here and I know many people who are into that lifestyle, as well as fishing, hunting, etc.

Cost of living here is very low by Colorado standards (affordable rent and real estate). Quality of life is very good if you like the small town/rural lifestyle.

Negatives are the Superfund contamination site from the Uranium processing plant south of Canon City. There are a few threads on this forum which can give you more details. Also, some people consider the many prisons around here to be negative. Generally, the prisons are not an issue. You may see a prison bus drive by, or see prison guards in their uniforms at the grocery store. Not a big deal.

I know lots of "cowgirl" types here locally. One of my good friends is a barrel racer. I know several people who have horses, and they are not rich people. Just working class folks who love the rural lifestyle.

Fremont county is a pretty honest, real place. This is one of the more untouched areas of Colorado (untouched by the plasticity and fakeness of commercial and tourism development and urban sprawl).

Come check it out!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 PM

23 posts, read 79,402 times
Alright let's do it again:

What's it like there?
Let's see: prisons, trailer parks, dirt roads, few businesses, liquor stores, confederate flags, old pickup trucks, far right churches, far right politics, 2nd ammendment enthusiasts, and a general sense of backwardness.

That, and miles and miles of dirt brown hills.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:53 PM

Then it may be a perfect fit for me

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed9874 View Post
Alright let's do it again:

What's it like there?
Let's see: prisons, trailer parks, dirt roads, few businesses, liquor stores, confederate flags, old pickup trucks, far right churches, far right politics, 2nd ammendment enthusiasts, and a general sense of backwardness.

That, and miles and miles of dirt brown hills.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM

4,636 posts, read 9,133,234 times
Please take some time to go though the discussions on this forum about Canyon City. I would bet that most of your questions have already been answered. If your search raises some new questions, then feel free to post. There are lots of people on this forum who are familiar with the area.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 PM

thanks i certainly will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Please take some time to go though the discussions on this forum about Canyon City. I would bet that most of your questions have already been answered. If your search raises some new questions, then feel free to post. There are lots of people on this forum who are familiar with the area.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 PM

16 posts, read 16,820 times
We took a trip to Fremont County in January 2012 to look at a mountain property. Canon City has a cute little old town and travelling west bound the view of the southwest desert like mountains was really pretty cool. Other than the city revenue agent sitting in his car (Vampire of the State) just right before you turn the curve into Canon City (Rt 50 going east bound) it was a worthwhile trip and we're still considering moving there.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 PM

178 posts, read 464,859 times
I just moved from Canon City to Montrose last fall for job reasons. I consider Montrose to be a wonderful place to live and my wife and I are closer to family. Some people would even consider me lucky to be able to live in a place like Montrose. Even so, I still miss Canon City. I have never met nicer or more real people anywhere. I miss being able to make quick trips to the Springs and Pueblo and I miss the climate and local scenery. The river walk between 9th street and Reynolds is one of the greatest walks anywhere and it is right in town. If you take Dozier north of Walmart 2 miles you will be in the country and close to city conveniences at the same time. There are also some nice properties off of Mackenzie in the farmland south and west of home depot. I lived on the northwest side of town by skyline drive and that is also a great neighborhood. None of these neighborhoods are affected by the radiation contamination from Cotter corporation on the southwest side of town. http://www.downtheyellowcakeroad.org/html/contamination.html[/url]
Florence is also nice and will be closer to your work but Canon isn't much further and has all the conveniences for daily living.

As for hiking, fishing, camping and other outdoor activities the possibilities are endless. I have hiked and camped all the way from Pikes Peak to Greenhorn Peak to the Sangres and the Sawatch range to the West. The Spanish Peaks are also close. From Canon City you can enjoy the outdoors and mild climate comfortably 9 months of the year. I'll never forget going fly fishing on the Arkansas River for the first time west of town in Bighorn Sheep Canyon and catching a trout within 5 minutes.

The locals definitely live a slower paced lifestyle than most places but once you get used to it you will find people generally easy to talk to and friendly. There is very little crime and I can't remember one single criminal incident in my neighborhood in the years I was there. If you visit go to Michael's on 6th and Main and get a cup of coffee and talk to the locals. Coyote's Coffee Den on the east side of town south of Highway 50 next to the Creekside Cinema is also a good place to meet locals.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:44 AM

463 posts, read 944,468 times
Not sure if the OP is still following this thread but here's a summary of the problem:

Lincoln Park | Region 8 | US EPA

I see that you are from Texas. Water wells are regulated here in CO. If you are buying a rural property, it's very important to find out what kind of well you have. You need 35 acres to be guaranteed a domestic well. Smaller, older properties are often grandfathered in with domestic wells. I have a domestic and I only have an acre. Domestic wells allow you to use water outside of your house for watering livestock or gardenning, etc. Like the name sounds, an in-house well means you can only use the water inside your house. You may or may not be able to get an augmentation certificate for your in-house well-depends on the bureaucracy-for limited outside use. Water law in CO is pretty complicated so make sure that you ask about the well before you purchase.

Most of Canon Citys water comes from DeWeese reservoir, up near Westcliffe. It's not pristine, but it's a lot better than the contaminated ground water around CC. Well water might be OK for livestock but I wouldn't drink it. Google "Canon City water report". The city tests their water and lists all of the contaminates. It's all online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado