U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:56 PM

486 posts, read 1,234,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Sorry, but there are plenty of ugly rural subdivisions all around Canon City. I know the area quite well--like for over 40 years! I personally like the older part of Canon City and, with the corrections industry, the economy there is more stable than many places in Colorado. To say, though, that Fremont County has escaped the scourge of recreational and rural subdivision development is the statement that is flat not accurate. A ski resort it sure ain't, but a place in Colorado does not have to be to have agriculture-destroying rural residential development and "rural sprawl."

As for Mike's comment, he is one of the newbie transplants that has no clue how nice Colorado used to be--before hordes like him showed up.
Don't listen to Jazzlover. He doesn't want any new people coming to Colorado. Period.

As far as I know, Jazzlover does not live in Fremont County and is not from here. But he thinks he is the resident expert on most every part of Colorado because he has been there at one point in time or has friends there. In fact, I cannot think of an area of Colorado that Jazzlover does not claim to be an expert on.

I actually live here in Canon City. Hopefully others who actually live in Florence and Fremont County will read this and chime-in. I can assure you that no one who lives here would describe this area as being "heavily developed".

Perhaps if you are comparing the Fremont county of 2011 to the Fremont County of 1911 you might say it has developed some. I mean, we have a Chili's restaurant now. And a few more new houses on the edges of town. But by and large, this is a place that seems to have stood still in time. People have tried to push Canon City into the 21st century, but largely failed. Jazzlover would probably love to live here with all the other old timers who don't like change and progress.

But row upon row of sprawling suburbs. Um, no. The sky here at night is largely dark (except for the prison lights, of course).

Some people who work at Supermax commute from Pueblo and Pueblo West. Most others live in Fremont County because they prefer a slower pace of life.

If Canon City or even Floerence are too populated for your taste, there are plenty o' rural spots within an easy drive to ADX. Wetmore is one that comes to mind (located south and a little east of ADX).

NOTAM, Come here to see for yourself. Drive up from Texas for a long weekend to get a feel for the place. Talk to people who live and work here. If you then feel that Jazzlover is accurate in saying that Fremont County is "heavily developed" then let us know and I will eat my hat.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:19 PM

10,518 posts, read 11,623,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
i would be willing to look anywhere that is rural and reasonable commute to Florence.
I thought your post was "areas of Colorado". Misunderstood you just meant one specific area.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:33 PM

3,494 posts, read 12,701,549 times
awesome thanks so much for the info! i know CO doesnt want an influx of folks..but yall just let me sneak in...i am a legaltaxpaying (oh boy do i pay) US citizen (ha ha, no illegal here), and just a simple cowgirl who lives a simple life!
added to say i just looked up wetmore-saw some pics....perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
Don't listen to Jazzlover. He doesn't want any new people coming to Colorado. Period.

As far as I know, Jazzlover does not live in Fremont County and is not from here. But he thinks he is the resident expert on most every part of Colorado because he has been there at one point in time or has friends there. In fact, I cannot think of an area of Colorado that Jazzlover does not claim to be an expert on.

I actually live here in Canon City. Hopefully others who actually live in Florence and Fremont County will read this and chime-in. I can assure you that no one who lives here would describe this area as being "heavily developed".

Perhaps if you are comparing the Fremont county of 2011 to the Fremont County of 1911 you might say it has developed some. I mean, we have a Chili's restaurant now. And a few more new houses on the edges of town. But by and large, this is a place that seems to have stood still in time. People have tried to push Canon City into the 21st century, but largely failed. Jazzlover would probably love to live here with all the other old timers who don't like change and progress.

But row upon row of sprawling suburbs. Um, no. The sky here at night is largely dark (except for the prison lights, of course).

Some people who work at Supermax commute from Pueblo and Pueblo West. Most others live in Fremont County because they prefer a slower pace of life.

If Canon City or even Floerence are too populated for your taste, there are plenty o' rural spots within an easy drive to ADX. Wetmore is one that comes to mind (located south and a little east of ADX).

NOTAM, Come here to see for yourself. Drive up from Texas for a long weekend to get a feel for the place. Talk to people who live and work here. If you then feel that Jazzlover is accurate in saying that Fremont County is "heavily developed" then let us know and I will eat my hat.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:33 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,246,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
i would be working in Florence. will have to check it out and see what the commute time is.
I just realized I typo'd. It's Branson, not Bronson. However, it's about 3 hours to Florence.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:35 PM

3,494 posts, read 12,701,549 times
ah way too far of a daily commute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I just realized I typo'd. It's Branson, not Bronson. However, it's about 3 hours to Florence.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
I've probably spent more time in the areas in which I haven't resided in Colorado than most of the people on this forum who DO live in such places have. It comes from being here for all but a few years of my life and having work that has taken me to every corner of Colorado--most places so many times that I can't even count. I'm also constantly doing economic, geographical, and demographic research on most areas of Colorado when I'm not traveling--and I've done that for over 30 years, as well.

As for the OP's question, based on working in Florence--well, then, I would try to find someplace close to Florence in which to live. This is--and will be for the foreseeable future--a rotten time to set oneself up for a lengthy commute. Florence is a pleasant enough town--too hot for me in the summer. Both Canon and Florence, though, are close to the Wet Mountain Valley and the east side of the Sangre de Cristos--places that the developers have not gotten their filthy hands onto on a big scale . . . yet.

I had a chance to relocate to Canon City a few years back. As I said earlier, I like the older part of Canon City--lots of historical architecture, etc. But it is just too damned close to the Front Range blob for my tastes. By the way, "Malfunction Junction" on US50 at the east end of Canon City has to win the Colorado award for one of the worst designed intersections in the entire state. In fact, the whole commercial strip on US50 through Canon is pretty distasteful. At least Main Street in Canon, though struggling economically, has some decent architecture to look at instead of the late 20th/early 21st Century slop on US50. To be fair, that blight is certainly not limited to Canon City. It's way too common everywhere.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:37 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,413,601 times
You are obviously going to be working for the Federal Prisons...Canon City, Florence, Wetmore, Pueblo West or Penrose would be your best bets...in that order too!!! Canon City ROCKS!!!!!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:57 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
jazzlover wrote:
PS--When someone gushes on this forum about how wonderful Colorado is for them, you can almost guarantee that it is some recent transplant from somewhere else. They don't know how much of Colorado has been wrecked by development, because they just got here. There are a sterling few of us who have lived here for most all of our lives and we DO know what has been lost.

While this may indeed be the case from the perspective of a long time Colorado resident, it is probably NOT the perspective of someone coming into Colorado for the first time. The newcomer to Colorado is more likely to compare wherever they currently live with the current condition of Colorado. And for many potential transplants, Colorado still wins the comparison hands down! IMO, development for the sake of so-called progress is not usually a good thing. Nonetheless, the amount of that type of development that has taken place in Colorado pales in comparison to the same type of development that has ocurred in many other states. It's all a matter of comparison and relativity. To a Colorado oldtimer like yourself, the future of Colorado looks pretty bleak, but most potential transplants will have a perspective that makes the future of Colorado seem alot brighter....compared to wherever they currently are.

BTW, I'm not one of the gushers you speak of. To me, Colorado has it's plusses and minuses...just like EVERYWHERE I've ever lived in the past. Colorado is far from being perfect, but it IS where I am currently living, so I strive to make the most of my time here.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 11-28-2011 at 02:23 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 02:09 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,834,746 times
Wink Relativity and cowgirls

At the risk of being obvious, Colorado is not Alaska. Way up north open country is defined by but a few roads, and a good chance of crossing one mountain range to find nothing in the way of mankind on the far side of it. Good luck with that in Colorado.

On the other hand, the most obvious 'Californication' of Colorado is confined primarily to the front range between Colorado Springs and Fort Collins, and a few select towns such as Durango, Telluride, or Vail. Although in one measure or another the 21st century has seeped in throughout the state, and in many instances not at all in a good way. A lot of that is mindset and found everywhere humans are, although traditional values still retained to an extent and commonly thought more highly of in smaller rural towns to an extent on their own.

Cañon City and its exurbs does not exactly qualify. Surely not in comparison to towns such as Gunnison, or something truly small and isolated like Lake City. But Gunnison has its college, and Lake City a certain number of tourists in summer, so maybe a cowgirl would be better off considering somewhere in northwestern Colorado, maybe Rangely.

Nevertheless, with Florence as an epicenter it should be possible to be rural enough with a still modest commute. By many standards Cañon City metro is not all that large, and if a certain size larger than other towns, still with a smaller town flavor. Moreover with a lot of open space in all directions surrounding. Not the kind close in which will be absent the fence, electric lines, occasional road, and residences dotted about here and there. But by any city standard fairly empty.

Westcliffe in scenery and isolation, as well as pasture, is probably more the ideal home of aspiring cowgirls. Its relative lack of jobs and isolation may keep it that way, as more dream than reality for most.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 AM

10 posts, read 23,553 times
In answer to your original question, Walden, Craig, Sterling, Rangley, LaJunta. The most beautiful and popular are the most crowded. Those I mentioned have wide open spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or