U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 09:42 AM

3,494 posts, read 12,702,859 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing about overpopulation in CO, the "Californication", the influx of treehuggin' granola-eatin' environmental hippie types trying to change everything (this is just what i hear when i mention CO)....is it like that everywhere, or just in metro areas and popular areas?

how about the Florence/Canon City area? is it that way too?

Is there any place in CO that is like rural Texas? ya know, laid back, lots of wide open spaces and cattle range, country folk, rodeos, cowboy lifestyle...

Old 11-27-2011, 09:55 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
I keep hearing about overpopulation in CO, the "Californication", the influx of treehuggin' granola-eatin' environmental hippie types trying to change everything (this is just what i hear when i mention CO)....is it like that everywhere, or just in metro areas and popular areas?

Is there any place in CO that is like rural Texas? ya know, laid back, lots of wide open spaces and cattle range, country folk, rodeos, cowboy lifestyle...
Go look at the US Census data by county--it will tell you a lot. "Californication" is an issue in almost all of Colorado, save the areas of the Eastern Plains. It is especially pernicious in the metro areas and the resort areas. There are some areas remaining that are open ranch country with a Western lifestyle, but if they have much natural beauty at all, they are under and increasing and relentless assault from rural subdivision development--much of it driven by out-of-state transplants without a clue about the damage that development causes.

Florence/Canon City is a pretty area, but development there is pretty heavy--it is only 45 miles to two of Colorado's bigger cities--Colorado Springs and Pueblo.

The areas of Colorado that remain relatively unpopulated either have landscapes that are unattractive to most potential residents, they have economies that provide scant employment opportunities, or they lack basic services that retirees or "urban refugee" transplants consider essential (like even relatively basic medical services).

If you want a truly rural lifestyle and not a "hobby ranch" resort suburbia lifestyle, you need to look predominately on the Eastern Plains of Colorado or in one of the other Rocky Mountain states: Wyoming, Montana, etc. that lack a major metropolitan "blob" like Colorado's Front Range and lack the obnoxious amount of recreational/resort development that so much of Colorado has.

PS--When someone gushes on this forum about how wonderful Colorado is for them, you can almost guarantee that it is some recent transplant from somewhere else. They don't know how much of Colorado has been wrecked by development, because they just got here. There are a sterling few of us who have lived here for most all of our lives and we DO know what has been lost.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 AM

thanks for the informative reply. i have only two options in CO-one is in Colorado Springs and the other is in Florence. and a city is NOT an option for me. so Florence would be the only place in Colorado i could transfer to. so sad to hear that there is heavy development there. i thought it was pretty rural. i guess im better off either staying in Texas or my other option, Alaska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Go look at the US Census data by county--it will tell you a lot. "Californication" is an issue in almost all of Colorado, save the areas of the Eastern Plains. It is especially pernicious in the metro areas and the resort areas. There are some areas remaining that are open ranch country with a Western lifestyle, but if they have much natural beauty at all, they are under and increasing and relentless assault from rural subdivision development--much of it driven by out-of-state transplants without a clue about the damage that development causes.

Florence/Canon City is a pretty area, but development there is pretty heavy--it is only 45 miles to two of Colorado's bigger cities--Colorado Springs and Pueblo.

The areas of Colorado that remain relatively unpopulated either have landscapes that are unattractive to most potential residents, they have economies that provide scant employment opportunities, or they lack basic services that retirees or "urban refugee" transplants consider essential (like even relatively basic medical services).

If you want a truly rural lifestyle and not a "hobby ranch" resort suburbia lifestyle, you need to look predominately on the Eastern Plains of Colorado or in one of the other Rocky Mountain states: Wyoming, Montana, etc. that lack a major metropolitan "blob" like Colorado's Front Range and lack the obnoxious amount of recreational/resort development that so much of Colorado has.

PS--When someone gushes on this forum about how wonderful Colorado is for them, you can almost guarantee that it is some recent transplant from somewhere else. They don't know how much of Colorado has been wrecked by development, because they just got here. There are a sterling few of us who have lived here for most all of our lives and we DO know what has been lost.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:24 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Quote:

Sure. Out on the Eastern plains. Good luck though making a living out there.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:34 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Florence is barely 4,000 people, and the surrounding area is mostly rural, and is not out on the plains.

Canon City is a superb small town with a rural flair. We have several good threads on CC, just use the search tool to see them.

Big industry down there are the 10+ prisons.

Those things you've heard about COLO are largely fiction, it's a great place to be so come on up and check it out.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 AM

oh i would not have a problem making a living out there. i can transfer my job there, with the federal govt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Sure. Out on the Eastern plains. Good luck though making a living out there.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 AM

thanks Mike...i will check it out. it would be an easy relocation, as i would just have to transfer out there. rural and small is what i am used to. perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Florence is barely 4,000 people, and the surrounding area is mostly rural, and is not out on the plains.

Canon City is a superb small town with a rural flair. We have several good threads on CC, just use the search tool to see them.

Big industry down there are the 10+ prisons.

Those things you've heard about COLO are largely fiction, it's a great place to be so come on up and check it out.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:44 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
thanks Mike...i will check it out. it would be an easy relocation, as i would just have to transfer out there. rural and small is what i am used to. perfect.
In order of size, from larger to smaller, there's Canon City, Florence, Penrose, Williamsburg, Rockvale, Coal Creek, etc.

Do the google map thing to see just how sparse it is down there; small and rural is what it is.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:45 AM

oh i will certainly be exploring these towns, and doing lots of research. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
In order of size, from larger to smaller, there's Canon City, Florence, Penrose, Williamsburg, Rockvale, Coal Creek, etc.

Do the google map thing to see just how sparse it is down there; small and rural is what it is.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:47 AM

486 posts, read 1,234,872 times
Quote:
thanks for the informative reply. i have only two options in CO-one is in Colorado Springs and the other is in Florence. and a city is NOT an option for me. so Florence would be the only place in Colorado i could transfer to. so sad to hear that there is heavy development there. i thought it was pretty rural. i guess im better off either staying in Texas or my other option, Alaska.
DO NOT listen to Jazzlover!! [Jazz, WTH are you talking about?? "heavy development in Canon City/Florence?!?! Are you off your rocker man???]

In no way is Fremont county a victim of heavy development. Quite the contrary. Take it from a local! Jazzlover is just flat wrong.

If you read through other threads about Canon City, for example - the county seat of Fremont County - you can see all the discussion about the place being so anti-development that it scares new businesses away and the small housing "development" that was attempted just east of town failed miserably. This place is distinctly anti-development and pro-rural lifestyle!

I cannot for the life of me understand what Jazzlover is talking about when he says this area is victim to heavy development. Jazz, perhaps you can explain yourself???

It is very rural around here. Seriously, people in town have chickens in the backyards, sometimes goats or pigs. There is a lot of space to roam and ride. There are no fancy ski resorts here, no posh hotels or fancy restaurants. Just mom & pop type businesses. Sometimes I feel people here are stuck in a time warp, like they still live the way rural people did 60 years ago. And that is actually a nice to thing to see if you are the type of person seeking peace and quiet and privacy with friendly neighbors to help in times of need.

NOTAM, I would encourage you to do a search on the forum and read all the threads on Canon City (Florence and Penrose and the rest of Fremont County are generally included on those as well).

And come and visit to see for yourself! There are lots of Texans around here. I think you would feel very much at home. The climate here is gentler than most every other part of Colorado, so probably not too far off from what you are used to.

If your job is in Florence, than you have to option of living there, or Penrose, or Canon City because they are all so close. If you don't mind driving to work for 30 mins you can go even further west toward Cotopaxi, Texas Creek area. I know many people who chose to live out there because you are right there for hunting & fishing out your back door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or