U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 06:55 PM

840 posts, read 2,039,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If you want to go home, it really is quite easy, here's the STEP BY STEP GUIDE

There's No Place Like Home - YouTube

Love it Mike!

I'll do you one better......

Bobby Bare - I Wanna Go Home - YouTube
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 06:58 PM

19,063 posts, read 8,959,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan84 View Post

...But really, we are viewing this from the perspective of this being an opportunity to explore the Southwest and West areas of the US. ...
That's a very good way to look at it. This summer I took off for the Black Hills of South Dakota for 11 days. When I was living back East, that would be a major vacation and I'd have to be thinking of air connections. Here, I just jumped in the car and drove up.

Another favorite place of mine is Arches National Park, which is just a day away.

So I love the idea that I am now based in a place where I can more easily visit New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Wyoming without so much hassle.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:46 PM

5 posts, read 7,801 times
hey, can you guys be more specific about the neighborhoods? perhaps provide safe/nice zones based on specific streets. I want to outline the areas on a map so that when I'm in Pueblo in a couple weeks I can drive through these areas.
Thanks

Old 12-05-2011, 10:03 AM

bump

Old 12-06-2011, 04:14 PM

12,105 posts, read 20,397,841 times
Sorry I was busy over the weekend.

It depends if you want to live in a new or old area.

The historic area I would look at would be just north of downtown. Drive to Parkview Medical Center and you will be in the area. Another area would be Orman Ave kind of by Central High School but I would prefer by downtown if it was me. I forgot Aberdeen. It is a great area and its where Abriendo ends by Cleveland street.

Now if you want to live in a new area I would look at new areas I would look at Eagle Ridge on the north side. Drive by CSU Pueblo and you will see some areas that are nice and the south side and going towards Beulah.

To be honest Pueblo is to big for me to list all the possible areas. The best is to come and drive in those parts of town and talk to a realiter to see what is available and where.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:55 PM

just arrived in Pueblo. About to tour the city. Any suggestions on city highlights?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:34 PM

Welcome to Pueblo!

1) You need to see the Riverwalk and historic area, especially at night since they have Christmas lights on the trees and lights.

2) The reservoir just west of town. Take 4th street going west and you will see it.

3) The Pueblo Mall. Gives you a idea of what the shopping is like.

4) The housing area just north of downtown. It was rated as the best historic area in the state and one of the best in the nation. Some of the houses there are just fantastic. One of them is the historic Thatcher house. I can't think of the street names its on but its just south of Parkview Medical Center on Grand I think.

5) The historic county courthouse is a must see. Its in downtown and is one of the best historic buildings in the state in my opinion. Its on 10th street. If you get a chance go inside the main room.

6) City/ Memorial hall is another gem of a building. Its closed now as they are remodeling it but its nice from the out side to see. Its by the Riverwalk.

7) Drive around Eagle Ridge, on the north side, and the south side in areas off Pueblo Blvd, down by city park, or go west on Northern Ave and there are great subdivisions west of Pueblo Blvd.

8) If you have time a drive west to Beulah would be fun. Its about a 20 minute drive going west on Northern Ave or as its known here the Beulah highway.

9) If you like zoo's Pueblo has a zoo at the city park.

10) Going out to eat. I am not sure of your budget.

For the more expensive restaurants we have 1521 on Main street in downtown. The Chef won the iron chef contest. La Renascence, Rio Bistro, Mag Pies or Dc's on B street.

Mid prices restaurants I would suggest are: La Tronicas, Do Drop Inn (pizza), Angelo's Pizza on the Riverwalk, Cactus Flower, Nacho's.

These are just a few of the many selections in Pueblo as this is a great restaurant city for a town of 110,000 people.

These are just some suggestions. If there are things you like to do and wonder if pueblo has them then ask and I will let you know.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:44 PM

13,730 posts, read 21,568,684 times
Check out the Rosemount Museum, check out the River Walk area and maybe find a coffee shop or pub you would like, plan a morning/early afternoon trip to Bishop's Castle via southbound I-25 through Colorado City/Rye/San Isabel on hwy 165 or via Wetmore... I think 78 to 165 near the Rye/Westcliffe turnoff...

If down in the Riverwalk area, you can window shop and/or check out the scene up and down Union and Main and Victoria streets from about first street and west... towards D street. If you go further up Union or Main street towards Abriendo, you can check out the Rawlings Library.

Maybe go to Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum, The Nature and Raptor Center might have something going on...

ElectriCritters, 5:30-8:30 p.m. today-Sunday, Dec. 16-23 and Dec. 26-30 (no admission after 8 p.m.), Pueblo Zoo, City Park, $3-$6, 561-1452.

“Every Christmas Story Ever Told (and Then Some!)," Impossible Players, 7:30 p.m. today-Saturday and Dec. 16-17, Impossible Playhouse, $5-$10, 542-6969.

"A Christmas Story," Steel City Theatre Company, 7:30 p.m. today-Saturday and Dec. 16-17; 2:30 p.m. Sunday and Dec. 18, Central High School, $5 (with canned-food donation for Care and Share), 994-8298 or sctcpueblo.com.

‘Winter Remembrance’
A "Winter Remembrance" lantern-lighting ceremony is scheduled for 5 p.m. today at El Pueblo History Museum, 301 N. Union Ave. The ceremony will recognize those who died in the 1854 Christmas attack on El Pueblo trading post by the Muache Utes, both the people at the post and the Native Americans.
Following the ceremony, the museum will have its winter mercado in the trading post's six rooms and in the placita. The mercado will illustrate what frontier life was like when the trading post was occupied. There will be living-history interpreters, games and stories for children, and a talk on the massacre for adults at 6 and 7 p.m. Refreshments will be for sale and the gift shop will have its holiday sale. The mercado will last until 8 p.m.
For more information, call 583-0453.

The week's live entertainment, featuring Pueblo performers:

Beer Barrel, 2113 E. Evans Ave.: Gypsy and The Beat with The Kid, 8:30 p.m. today.

Big Daddy's Sports Bar and Billiards, 4111 Club Manor Drive: Jeffrey Alan Band, 9 p.m. today; Taylor's Bayou, 9 p.m. Saturday; Carlos Crull, Richard Clark and John Turner, 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday.

Broadway Tavern and Grill, 127 Broadway Ave.: Broken Angel, 9 p.m. today; Carlos Crull and friends, 9 p.m. to midnight Wednesday.

D.J.'s Pizzeria, 190 W. Palmer Lake, Pueblo West: acoustic open mic with Pueblo Songwriters and Musicians Association, 7 to 10 p.m. Wednesday.

The Downbeat, 1335 E. Evans Ave.: Fat Chance Blues Band, 8:30 p.m. today and Saturday; open mic and blues jam, 7 to 10 p.m. Thursday.

Felice's Pizzeria, 1725 W. Pueblo Blvd.: Atomic Fireballs, 8 p.m. today;
Lone Wolf, 10 p.m. Saturday and 6 p.m. Tuesday; Carlos Crull, 7 p.m. Thursday.

The Grove Tavern, 901 E. C St.: Silver Eagle Band, 9 p.m. today and Saturday.

Jimmy's Tavern, 324 S. McCulloch Blvd., Pueblo West: Steve Day, 8 p.m. today.

Legends, 1023 S. Pueblo Blvd.: Southern Belle, 9 p.m. today; Fully Involved, 9 p.m. Saturday; Gypsy acoustic, 7 to 11 p.m. Sunday; open mic with Broken Angel, 8 p.m. Thursday.

On the Rocks, 331 Main St., Canon City: Jazz with Wasabi, 7 to 10 p.m. today.

Park East, 720 Goodnight Ave.: Andy Clementi and Ryan Walter, Wednesday.

Patsy's, 425 S. Santa Fe Ave.: Razz Band, today and Saturday.

Riverside, 4021 Jerry Murphy Road: XL, 9 p.m. Saturday; Second Sunday Jazz with Riverside Express, 7 p.m. Sunday; open mic with C.D.R., 9 p.m. Thursday.

Shonnabea's, 327 Main St., Canon City: Jim Bosse, 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday.
Trani's Dance Club, 336 S. Santa Fe Ave.: Jorica Band, 7 p.m. Saturday.

A lot of info I found above was from Pueblo's local paper, the Chieftain.

Just trying to get you some quick info.

What kind of food do you like? I can give you a few of my food recommendations.

For Italian, I like Giodones on the Mesa (23344 E Us Highway 50, Pueblo, CO 81006 719-542-9751), which is closed Monday and Tuesday. I like Mi Ranchito out on the Mesa near there as well.

I like DJ Steakhouse (4289 N Elizabeth 719-545-9354), although it recently changed management and may or may not have the same food/service.

I like La Renaissance on 217 E Routt Ave 719-543-6367.

I like Park East which is north of Thatcher on Goodnight. Thatcher is also Lincoln and 4th Street, but west near Orman and Prairie. Goodnight is at the east end of the Park... thus the name.

I like Tony and Joes Pizza down on the south end of Pueblo Blvd near the South Side Walmart. It's a bar atmosphere. Pizza isn't cheap, but it's good. Also, if your on the south end, you can go to the El Camino Las Vistas area at night to check out Christmas lights.

You can go up to the shopping area on the north end of town where they have a Barnes and Chernobyl, Tinseltown, the Mall, all on the Club Manor ave and Hwy 50 area, or go up Elizabeth west of I-25 north of Eagleridge and go to Kohls, Bed Bath and Beyond, Harley Davidson Outpost (blech!), Best Buy, Chilis, Johnny Carinos, etc.

Hope some of this helps.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:00 PM

Great post and some great suggestions McGowdog! I saw some things I now want to do.... That is what I mean by Pueblo has a lot to do for a city of our size.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:57 PM

16 posts, read 33,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan84 View Post
I appreciate ALL the input guys. I'm starting to put things into perspective.

From previous threads i've read and from these postings, it's quiet entertaining to see such opposing positions on Pueblo. I do see Joss as a die-hard Puebloen, so I understand it may not be as bright as the picture he paints...but i wouldn't say it seems misleading. And i can also agree with McGow on some of the perspectives he brings up.

To clarify a few things....we are from the Ft. Lauderdale area....but we don't live like rock stars or anything. Most of the time we enjoy peace and quiet, but do like the ability to go out for drinks when we want, or go to the corner and grab a bite to eat. I'm just worried there even isn't enough of that around in Pueblo Pueblo West.

Yes, I think we do understand that we will be relocating to a much smaller city, and expect to be bored at times. But really, we are viewing this from the perspective of this being an opportunity to explore the Southwest and West areas of the US. Meaning any time off I get (weekends, vacations), we will be traveling out of town to explore, partake in outdoor activities, or seeing other major cities (Las Vegas, LA, Denver, San Francisco, etc). TBH, I'm more concerned about my fiancee who will not be working. Seems she may really get bored, having nothing to do while i'm working everyday.

I think my previous paragraph kinda outlines on what we are looking for...we want to explore...be it a small town or large metropolis. And since we've never been West or Southwest, we see this as an opportunity to do so...it does not necessarily mean FOREVER. Now, if you guys start to tell me that Pueblo really isn't a good hub to do the things we want to do (outdoor sports, traveling to other cities and national parks) then I think it would be no question to avoid going.

To be quite honest, I do see that a place like Colorado Springs might be a better fit to what we're looking for in Colorado. But we aren't scared of trying out different things...especially if it's not for too long of a time.

Also, I probably should have mentioned that we wouldn't feel binded to Pueblo forever. If I received an offer and take it, I'd only be contracted to a year and a half. At which, if we really enjoy the area, may choose to stay, or move on to another place.

But again, we are really concerned on actually finding the right house. As we have not had any luck searching the internet. I'll be PMing you shortly GreenScout.

Thanks again for the advice guys
If you want a low-cost hub to explore the Southwest then Pueblo is perfect. Colorado Springs might be perfect too but it will cost twice as much for comparable housing. And, if you're interested in New Mexico and Arizona then you'll be 40 min closer (if you're driving) from Pueblo. You can play outdoor sports like golf, tennis, etc almost year-round in Pueblo. There are top notch mountain biking trails nearby, water sports on the Pueblo reservoir and mountains just a short distance away. Ski in Monarch or drive further to Crested Butte or meet everyone from Denver in Summit County. Durango is closer to Pueblo than Springs or Denver. Telluride is about the same either way. Weekend trips to Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins are no problem from Pueblo although you would be closer of course from the Springs.

Biggest factor if you're an outdoors-oriented couple: the weather in Pueblo is better than anywhere else in the state. So you'll have more time for outdoor recreation. Restaurants in Pueblo are excellent if you like mexican or italian and there are some fantastic places to grab a beer and a bite to eat. Where else can you get a Slopper or a Pass Key special?

Of course, you can plenty of good eats in Colorado Springs - dine in style at the Broadmoor or grab some good german food at the Edelweiss. Someone else can tell you about the best spots - I don't know as much about restaurants in Co Springs.

Another key factor if you're trying to decide between Pueblo and Colorado Springs - politics. Colorado Springs has a strong military presence and El Paso county is a "red" county - Democrats rarely win anything. Pueblo has traditionally been a "blue" county although I have to admit I haven't been following the local politics or election results there very closely. You can certainly find liberal neighborhoods in the Springs and conservative neighborhoods in Pueblo but, overall, that's the way things shake out.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or