U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,329,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Thank god Denver is 4hrs from here.
I'm sure the feeling's mutual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 AM

5,091 posts, read 13,202,483 times
There is nothing exceptional or new with young people moving to Colorado. You, who are young, think that you are exceptional and one of a kind in a new era, but that is just a self absorption of your youthful ego. Yet, all of us who moved to Colorado, in our youth, had the same mirror image of our own selves when we moved here in our own time.

In recent times in some of our memories, many young people moved here after World War II. They saw Colorado in military service and wanted to return. I met many of those, when I moved here 33 years ago, when I was young. There were people who preceded me in the previous decade of the 60s who moved here when they were young. They are shared similar ideas that they wanted to see something new; or they wanted the excitement of a new place; or they followed the same time honored delusions, that the grass is always greener on the other side; or there were more job opportunities here in their times. Let us not forget the youthful pioneers of the more distant past.

In a general sense, people who move tend to more of the young, wherever they move. Youth has less ties from whence they come, more potential for the future and have the energy and dreams that sometimes fade in age. Oh, I know some of you will say, I moved here in retirement or when I was older--but you are not the greatest of the whole movement of populations.

So, I sit back and see your comments and I ponder--eventually all of you will get old, and you will also chuckle at the comments of the future youth who think they are creating a new trend.

Livecontent

Old 12-04-2011, 12:42 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,329,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
There is nothing exceptional or new with young people moving to Colorado. You, who are young, think that you are exceptional and one of a kind in a new era, but that is just a self absorption of your youthful ego.
Who said they thought they were exceptional?

Plenty of oldsters move to places there like Colorado Springs. Your state seems to appeal to people of all ages.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 PM

704 posts, read 1,445,805 times
Since Denver has actually lost population, I wouldn't say that young people, or any people at all, are "flocking" to Denver. And Westword is hardly the Wall Street Journal, so take what you read therein with a grain of salt. I'm not saying that the report is false, but I think the conclusion that Denver is now a hipster paradise is a little suspect, especially when it's being compared to Phoenix.

And, finally, Denver's population is actually older, on median, than Colorado Springs or other metro area communities. Where's Westword's report about young evangelicals flocking to Colorado?

Old 12-09-2011, 12:57 PM

12,105 posts, read 20,406,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Since Denver has actually lost population, I wouldn't say that young people, or any people at all, are "flocking" to Denver. And Westword is hardly the Wall Street Journal, so take what you read therein with a grain of salt. I'm not saying that the report is false, but I think the conclusion that Denver is now a hipster paradise is a little suspect, especially when it's being compared to Phoenix.
No principal city on the front range, from Pueblo to Fort Collins including the city of Denver, has lost population. They might have had times they did in the past but as of the 2010 census every city was at its highest population.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
No principal city on the front range, from Pueblo to Fort Collins including the city of Denver, has lost population. They might have had times they did in the past but as of the 2010 census every city was at its highest population.
From 2008 or 2009, Denver lost about 30,000 people. You're correct, however, that from 2000 to 2010, Denver did gain population.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,629,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post

And, finally, Denver's population is actually older, on median, than Colorado Springs or other metro area communities. Where's Westword's report about young evangelicals flocking to Colorado?
As a Denverite, I even take the Journal with a grain of salt

Old 12-09-2011, 01:51 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,176,056 times
Well it certainly isn't for single women 20-30s, they don't really seem to exist here

Old 12-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
As a Denverite, I even take the Journal with a grain of salt
Westword is free, so it's not even worth a grain of salt.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,649,374 times
I'm surprised that some of you all didn't pick up on the obvious entertaining and playful tone of the article. The article was merely pointing out the fact that young adults are flocking to Denver, and presented a fun list of reasons why.

Of course it's easy to discredit an article written in the Westword (duh), but the fact remains that Denver is currently attracting young professionals like a magnet. Denver has fared better than many other cities in this recession, so many college graduates and young professionals are moving here to start their careers.

Here's an article from the Huffington Post (with credible data produced by the Brookings Institute). According to this list, Denver ranked #1 in net immigration of young adults from 2008 to 2010, followed by Houston, Dallas, Seattle, Austin, Washington D.C. and Portland.

America's Young Adults Flocking To These Seven Cities: Brookings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or