U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:24 AM

10,263 posts, read 10,009,697 times

Advertisements

Fifteen reasons why young people are moving to Colorado - Page 1 - News - Denver - Westword

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:34 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,355,007 times
It should be 15 reasons people are moving to Denver as they only talked about that city. Typical Denver centric attitude you see from that part of the state.

Maybe I will do my own list and make it Pueblo centric.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:19 AM

10,544 posts, read 11,637,607 times
Denver Denver Denver. Denver is NOT Colorado. It's Denver.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:52 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,103,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Denver Denver Denver. Denver is NOT Colorado. It's Denver.
But don't you know?--metro Denver is the known center of the universe. Nothing else in the rest of Colorado matters--it is just supposed to a "park" so that metro residents and out-of-state "pilgrims" have a place to go to goof off.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 AM

18,906 posts, read 8,878,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
But don't you know?--metro Denver is the known center of the universe. Nothing else in the rest of Colorado matters--it is just supposed to a "park" so that metro residents and out-of-state "pilgrims" have a place to go to goof off.
It's not different in a lot of places. New York is not New York City. Bangkok is not Thailand.

And Denver is a great place, but so are the other parts of the state. Together they make a whole.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:51 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,838,130 times
Wink Denver & world beyond

'Green chile might have gotten its start in New Mexico, but it reached its peak in Denver, where it's best enjoyed smothering a Mexican hamburger, which was definitely invented here (unlike the much-touted cheeseburger).' [1]

I'm not exactly sure why anyone moves to Colorado, but as far as green chile is concerned the suggestion the authors do not repeat their opinion in New Mexico. That is a place where even Lotaburger includes green chile on its hamburgers and recipes, in fact known for it, and one could probably write a PhD dissertation on whether a restaurant exists in the state which does not offer green chile with something.

Actually, that list of their's might be more fun than accurate. I suppose no lack of beer variety to choose from would be a draw to any younger demographic, if suspicious they might spend much time enjoying it at the public library.

It is all Denver-centric, and my guess that this goes for many Coloradoans of all ages. There is that iconic poster of the world from New York City, with it of course prominent in the foreground, and then not far beyond the Hudson river a diminutive San Francisco off in the distance. One could miss Denver entirely in looking at that, not to mention all of Kansas. The same poster from an urban Colorado perspective probably has Denver front and center, and with respect to farmers out east, the known universe of the state then spreading out to the west in mountain slopes and ski resorts. All centered upon Denver, of course.

We may all be that way, in viewing the world as it looks from our front door. But since Denver the largest city, and the greater front range where most everybody is, one could be excused for feeling somewhat left out in Durango, and entirely forgotten and lost in Silverton. Last I checked, local television news in southwest Colorado consisted of stations from either New Mexico or the Colorado urban front range, with more usually the only mention of what might be happening around you maybe for ten seconds on the weather report and the temperature.

My guess, a lot of young people still probably come to Colorado in dreams of the mountains, no matter where eventually ending up. If maybe chic urban Denver may suite them better in many respects.

1) 'Fifteen reasons why young people are moving to Colorado,' Westworld
Fifteen reasons why young people are moving to Colorado - Page 1 - News - Denver - Westword

Old 12-03-2011, 06:15 PM

10,544 posts, read 11,637,607 times
Grand Junction has all the networks, in high def too. Mesa and part of Montrose County are the only places permitted to watch them. Delta and Ouray counties right next to Mesa county is forced to watch Denver. Why do I care about the nightly murders in Aurora, or the weather in some front range county 500 miles from me or some rodeo in Wyoming? I don't.

Like I said before, Denver is Denver. It's not all of Colorado.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:24 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,483,936 times
I imagine "young people" move somewhere where there's some kinda chance of getting a job, and that seems like Denver, only.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:56 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I imagine "young people" move somewhere where there's some kinda chance of getting a job, and that seems like Denver, only.
They probably move places where other young people move. People like being around other people who are like them. Colorado has been "branded" by our culture as a place for young people. Consider yourselves lucky. How uncool it must be to live in states like Pennsylvannia, Ohio, or Indiana that are "branded" as places for old left behinds.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,681,000 times
Thank god Denver is 4hrs from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or