U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 05:51 PM

22,055 posts, read 10,266,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Lol, I really do enjoy your posts Jazz.....

Speaking of shoveling snow, when I was growing up, I thought shoveling snow, mowing grass, and pulling weeds were great opportunities to make a little money.... Do teenage boys not need a little pocket money where you live Jazz?
I was thinking the same thing. But in Virginia where I lived for many years, finding boys to shovel was a rare thing. I finally bought one of those little electric snow blowers that was mostly just powerful enough for sidewalks.

Here in the townhouse complex I'm in I'm lucky. At 3" they plow the streets and shovel the walks, literally right up to your garage door and front door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 05:53 PM

22,055 posts, read 10,266,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You would think so, but teenagers everywhere apparently don't think they need to "lower" themselves to do much of any real work at anything. It's pretty pathetic. Back when I was young, I saved enough money working summers and vacations (Christmas, etc.) from about age 13 on that I was able to pay almost all of my way through 4-years of college with no debt and minimal help from my parents. What I see today is a glaring lack of work ethic in young people--no surprise, since many of their parents lack one, as well--and it seems to hold that way when those kids grow up, too.

As to Joss's comment, I've never hired anyone to clear my sidewalks, driveways, etc. of snow--EVER. I've always done it myself--and that includes when I lived in Wyoming, where I would get 3-7 foot high drifts on my 1/4 mile-long driveway several times every winter. I never missed work from being snowed in, either, in the several years I lived there. I guess some people can handle "real" winter and some people can't.
I never hired out to shovel snow when I was young, but I lived in western NYS, so we got the lake effect snows off both Lake Erie and Lake Ontario sometimes, and I often had to shovel our driveway which would be a foot or two or more deep, and then would go over to help the neighbors.

You're right, today the kids just won't do physical work.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:16 PM

840 posts, read 2,104,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I was thinking the same thing. But in Virginia where I lived for many years, finding boys to shovel was a rare thing. I finally bought one of those little electric snow blowers that was mostly just powerful enough for sidewalks.

Here in the townhouse complex I'm in I'm lucky. At 3" they plow the streets and shovel the walks, literally right up to your garage door and front door.
Huh... I guess a lot has changed since I was a kid..... I'm not even that old. Hell, I'm only 37.... My folks made sure I had what I needed, sometimes even something I just wanted, but for the most part, if I wanted money for something, I had to earn it myself.....

One time I actually got in a fight with another kid from the neighborhood when he saw me with my shovel and declared, "Hey, get off! This is my block!"

Old 12-03-2011, 07:57 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,299,877 times
Work in general is pretty lacking it seems like

For example, it's going to take RTD 6 years in total to add a line on the lightrail from Denver to the airport, maybe 20-30 miles?

The transcontinental railroad was built in 6 years with 1860s equipment

Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Like, dude, just let it melt.

I wouldn't worry about the future Jazz, you'll be dead and gone and my generation will be dealing with the 50,000 Billion dollars in debt the baby boomer and hippie generation left behind. It will be ugly, mean, violent, probably even a world war is coming, but enjoy now because you'll be the last generation to enjoy long retirements off the public trough with nice pensions, social security and medicare as well as living in relative peace, tranquility and prosperity.

We'll even have to shovel sidewalks and roads too because there will not be any money for any luxuries like snow plowing. So all the fat lazy teenagers should enjoy themselves right now as well, because it wont be so fun in 2025.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:15 PM

347 posts, read 714,013 times
If it makes you feel any better, I'm in my twenties and I shoveled today. I know what you are getting at though... do you feel a little like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino sometimes?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:45 PM

7,169 posts, read 6,443,923 times
I dont shovel snow ever.I break trail to my truck or jeep and it gets packed down good for me.some of my neighbors shovel and plow and when it clears and the sun comes out they are all ankle deep in mud to be tracked in the house. not me I got nice clean white ice paths. don't fight mother nature. oh our town has dirt roads hence my reasons for doing it my way

Old 12-03-2011, 10:16 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
In Pueblo we don't get a lot of snow but when I do get a cabin in the mountains it will be in a more urban part and I will have a heated driveway and sidewalk so when it does snow all I have to do is turn on the heat and the snow will melt.
Thanks for making my case about the younger generations and their frequent lazy attitudes.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:46 PM

7,169 posts, read 6,443,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That is why I live in the city and have no desire to live in a rural area. In Pueblo we don't get a lot of snow but when I do get a cabin in the mountains it will be in a more urban part and I will have a heated driveway and sidewalk so when it does snow all I have to do is turn on the heat and the snow will melt.
cabin in the mountains with a heated walk and driveway? where will it be in Disneyland?

Old 12-03-2011, 10:57 PM

840 posts, read 2,104,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
cabin in the mountains with a heated walk and driveway? where will it be in Disneyland?
To be fair, such things do exist. One company I worked for got a contract to plumb a 2.8 million dollar custom home which included a snow melt system for the 300' driveway.... Kind of like in floor radiant heat, but in your driveway......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado