U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:58 PM

21 posts, read 70,304 times

Advertisements

Question: So if you're out of town, it snows, you have a public walkway packed with snow, the storm is over. You're then penalized for it not being cleared?

We can talk about generation this & that all day. Coke & extacy were commonly used more in the 70's - 80's than it is now not to mention easier to get access to. I'd rather have laziness than 20-40 age groups out causing trouble or driving drunk/high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:36 PM

808 posts, read 1,177,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
At 7:30 this morning, just about everybody 50 and older--some in frail health--were out shoveling their sidewalks--as is required by town ordinance. The 20 to 40-somethings in the neighborhood--many with perfectly healthy teenage children--were nowhere to be seen. NOT ONE. Most every time it snows, they either just wait for it to melt off, or until they get ticketed by the city for not clearing their walks. They are just too damned lazy to even get out and shovel a few inches of snow. It's pathetic.
Interesting, though my experience in our relatively upscale "mid-century" Colorado neighborhood (houses built 1950's and 60's) is almost exactly inverse. The people who actually care enough to take care of and update their yards and landcaping are the 35-50 age group. The yards of the older folks are almost invariably an embarassing eyesore. Its as if they stopped caring decades ago. With houses in the 350K -$500K range, one would think the home could be cared for at least slightly. When these folks finally die or sell and a younger family takes over, the appearance of a place finally begins to improve. Took my spouse and I the better part of three years to remake several decades of neglect in our large front yard, and neighbors driving by STILL slow down/stop to thank us for making the effort. Same thing is slowly happening all over, so it's kinda funny that some people think its the OLD who are responsible and the YOUNG that are lazy and/or inept, when my own eyes are telling me the opposite is so often true.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:46 PM

833 posts, read 1,383,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Exactly! I used to have the Plato quote bookmarked, but my computer crashed and I haven't restored that bookmark yet.
You must be too young and lazy, huh?

Old 12-05-2011, 05:58 PM
gn3

147 posts, read 358,679 times
In my neighborhood, there seems to be little, if any, correlation between sidewalk shoveling and age amongst able folks. All over the map. Of course, elderly folks are sometimes not able to do it, but that is hardly their fault.

I propose that if you want to see something, you will be inclined to see it.

I'm 30, and shovel my sidewalk, as well as that of my elderly neighbor.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 PM

85,025 posts, read 98,908,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gn3 View Post
In my neighborhood, there seems to be little, if any, correlation between sidewalk shoveling and age amongst able folks. All over the map. Of course, elderly folks are sometimes not able to do it, but that is hardly their fault.

I propose that if you want to see something, you will be inclined to see it.

I'm 30, and shovel my sidewalk, as well as that of my elderly neighbor.
I agree. We've lived in our 'hood 22 years now, obviously no longer young. Most of our neighbors are roughly the same age as us. Some shovel, some don't. DH and our next door neighbor are amost the first, every snowstorm, both in their 60s. Our yards aren't a wreck, either, smdenbcs.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:10 PM

1,442 posts, read 3,573,089 times
I enjoyed shoveling/snowblowing...the latter of which is my only option when my back isn't 'into it'. I'm 41 and clear my walk & driveway, as well as the walks of adjacent neighbors.

I have yet to see anybody on the street get fined by the City for not clearing their walkway. Just another 'feel good' law that never gets enforced, like so many others.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:16 PM

808 posts, read 1,177,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Our yards aren't a wreck, either, smdenbcs.
Not really trying to pick on anyone, mostly just making a larger point that "blanket generalizations" can, and do, cut both ways. Those who "fear for the future of the state and country" could just as easily consist of the traditional elderly curmudgeons (who invariably think the young are shiftless and irresponsible) AND the younger generations who may be confused as to why they and their kids will be paying for gargantuan debts run up by and for the benefit of the elderly curmudgeons, many of whom don't seem to keep their yards tidy.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:05 AM

833 posts, read 1,383,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
I enjoyed shoveling/snowblowing...the latter of which is my only option when my back isn't 'into it'. I'm 41 and clear my walk & driveway, as well as the walks of adjacent neighbors.

I have yet to see anybody on the street get fined by the City for not clearing their walkway. Just another 'feel good' law that never gets enforced, like so many others.
I have a feeling that being cited isn't the real worry if you don't shovel. Given our litigious society, I think you should worry more about someone slipping and suing you - "So, Mr. Shuffler, are you aware that by not shoveling you created a dangerous situation for my Client, Mr. Oops, who slipped and fell on the sidewalk you neglected to maintain as the law requires?"

Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,299,582 times
Having cleared my share of two foot deep Sierra Cement, I just have to chuckle. But I agree that after the initial laugh, a certain sadness sets in, having read Jazzlover's observations of a declining human spirit.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 PM

169 posts, read 318,458 times
Not really trying to pick on anyone, mostly just making a larger point that "blanket generalizations" can, and do, cut both ways. Those who "fear for the future of the state and country" could just as easily consist of the traditional elderly curmudgeons (who invariably think the young are shiftless and irresponsible) AND the younger generations who may be confused as to why they and their kids will be paying for gargantuan debts run up by and for the benefit of the elderly curmudgeons, many of whom don't seem to keep their yards tidy.

Early nominee for post of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado