U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:41 AM

85,021 posts, read 98,892,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Not really trying to pick on anyone, mostly just making a larger point that "blanket generalizations" can, and do, cut both ways. Those who "fear for the future of the state and country" could just as easily consist of the traditional elderly curmudgeons (who invariably think the young are shiftless and irresponsible) AND the younger generations who may be confused as to why they and their kids will be paying for gargantuan debts run up by and for the benefit of the elderly curmudgeons, many of whom don't seem to keep their yards tidy.
The debt thing is a red herring. I am not on SS yet, but I have been paying into it since 1969. In the pre-SS days, these same younger generations had to help support their parents after retirement. The national debt has been a growing concern (pun intended) for many decades. I don't get your "issue" of untidy yards. There are a lot of people in my 'hood ages 50+, and no one has a messy yard. OTOH, in my old 'hood, which had a lot of 20-30 somethings, some of the yards were all dried up and a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 08:21 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,444,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Work in general is pretty lacking it seems like

For example, it's going to take RTD 6 years in total to add a line on the lightrail from Denver to the airport, maybe 20-30 miles?

The transcontinental railroad was built in 6 years with 1860s equipment
Your logic is a bit perverse. It's not that simple. Yes construction took six years, but route planning for Transcontinental Railroad started in 1830. The first feasibility studies for the proposed route were done in 1845. Plans to survey, finance, and engineer the railroad started in 1859, and were approved by congress and signed by the President in 1862. Construction lasted from 1863 to 1869. So the entire process took 39 years. Which is probably longer then a comparable project would take today.

Regardless comparing construction of a transcontinental railroad to that of a light rail line is comparing apples to oranges. A better analogy I think would to compare the construction of Denver's original light rail system in the early 1900s, to RTD's timetables. I don't know the exact timetable of the construction. But I know that the Denver Tramway bought the Denver Lakewood and Golden Railway in 1904 and reopened it five years later in 1909 as a light rail line.

That seems to be pretty comparable to RTD's timetables. Plus the Denver Tramway's project would have been much simpler, because they didn't over-engineer everything. They most likely just replaced the rails, put up poles and overhead wires, and build wooden shelters at each station. With transit projects today, they reconstruct the entire landscape and infrastructure around the rail line. That takes a lot more money and time.

So in short if public works projects take longer today then they used to, I'm pretty sure that the reason is environmental impact studies and over-engineering. Rather then how hard people work. Just saying.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:25 PM

166 posts, read 358,162 times
Those who criticize the younger generation have clearly forgotten who raised it.....

Old 12-11-2011, 04:39 PM

18,968 posts, read 8,900,001 times
Methinks a few people are taking this general conversation just a bit too seriously.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:59 AM

10,557 posts, read 11,653,218 times
It's supposed to snow here tomorrow. Here we go again.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:33 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,463,186 times
jazzlover wrote:
....why I fear for the future of the state and country
Your obsession with this fear is the quantum blueprint that has the power to attract what you fear into existence.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:58 AM

808 posts, read 1,177,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The debt thing is a red herring. ... I don't get your "issue" of untidy yards.
Well, my basic point is to simply observe that if to engage in "generational warfare" is the goal, there is PLENTY of ammunition pointing in all directions. This is not a case where one super-power holds all the nuclear warheads on ICBMs pointed at the other but rather a case where BOTH generations have legitimate gripes and launching an attack is basically pointless, in the "mutually assured destruction" sense of the Cold War. So instead of throwing stones when your house is made of glass, perhaps we're all better off keeping our various projectiles to ourselves. Put another way, I'm suggesting we consider the log jutting from our own eye before we criticize our neighbor for the speck sitting in his. And if projectiles must be thrown (as they invariably are), then be prepared for your own house to be exposed for the glass it most-certainly is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado