U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 03:36 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToNext View Post
I've been in Montrose 7 years now and hate it. I've been trying to turn it around, but there's nothing here to work with, so I'm throwing in the towel.

There's only one major reason to live here, and that's the scenery IF you
Just become a millionaire and then buy a second home in Colorado and spend time there whenever you want. Geez, it's so simple.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 03:40 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Wow. I've only lived here for two years, in Ridgway and now Delta and have tons and tons of friends. Friends all over the western slope including Montrose. Our conversations range from quantum theory, to baseball, to ranching. My friends are conservative to downright left wing liberals. We have great conversations. Montrose has some great places to eat, and I really like the Main Street area, and I love getting out and just exploring the area.

Oh well, good luck to you.
The problem, Jim, for people who don't fit into the small town lifestyle - and there are a number of us - is that you can't just go look for the right group of friends. In the small town, the choices are very limited.

contrast with urban environments, where you can find just about any type of friendships you want without looking too hard.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:35 PM

10,521 posts, read 11,628,203 times
To me Montrose isn't a small town. 20,000 is a lot of people, too big for me. Ridgway at 800 is the perfect size. Delta is almost too big for me at nearly 9,000 people. I dunno, I guess it's all in personality. I tend to talk to everyone I see, and am interested in their story.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:08 PM

6,881 posts, read 7,082,023 times
Quote:
Where do you meet these folks, short of advertising for friends on Townsend or your Main Street there in Delta. - LOL.

I've seen groups of retired-age folks at tables around town -- like City Market, Heidi's Deli, City Market snack area, but they appear to be couples. I joined the Sneffles group of the CMC back in '05, went to one meeting, was ignored -- except by the leader and his wife. Never experienced such an icy reception in my life - they were all grouped together in little chat bunches -- it was like I was invisible. Church? Tried that. Mostly couples or older widows.

I've gotten the idea Delta is friendlier than Montrose. I did tour the Bill Hettles rec center last fall and was going to start going there to work out, but 40 miles a shot is too much to drive there all the time, given the price of gas. I even buy my vehicles in Delta, as I don't like the dealer here and have heard the same from other people. I never considered Delta as a place to buy a home because it's not scenic up there, except for the Grand Mesa being there as a backdrop.

I really would like to make it here, but I've pretty much given up. Given the real estate market, I think I'll keep this house as a storage place for my stuff and just go traveling this coming year. Maybe I'll find someplace new to live.
From my observations and from talking to others this is what I have come to believe:

Men have a much easier time at making new friends in any community than women. Why? It's not because they are friendlier or nicer or anything like that. It's because married women want to keep single women far away from "their man". The men aren't willing to make it an issue so they will both just ignore you. Short of wearing a sign on your forehead saying "I don't want your dam* husband" - and that wouldn't even help - they just want you gone. Men don't react to other single men in the same fashion, so when Jim says how easy he has had it making new friends -oh what a surprise.

Best of luck to you - I have no answers.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Quote:
t
The worst mistake I ever made was thinking I could be happy in an area that used to be my annual vacation spot. Vacationing and living are two different things. When I finally decide to take a huge loss on my house and get out of here, my life will begin again, and the Western Slope will be nothing but a bad memory.

He told me that these mountain towns are traps for people with ambition and vision, and that "there are a lot of unhappy people (natives) in those places." Much later, I found out my boss was right. I wish I had stayed in love with Colorado by being a tourist here -- and nothing more. Moving here killed all the feelings I had for this state and pretty much the west in general. Yes, the scenery is great, but you can't make a life out of scenery alone. It's much better to live in a real place and have a picture of the mountains on your wall. Seriously.
Yep, that is something I always point out and I think a lot of people don't get it. Living someplace is way different from being a tourist, especially when it comes to mountain Colorado.

I reached that point with Vail and as I was getting into my 30's it was time to make a break to live my dreams. I actually had several opportunities for advancement and they were good opportunities. I would not have been fulfilled as a person, but I would have made a decent income and continued to live in a ski town. I chose to cut out of town to do what I really wanted with my life.

Now visiting as a "tourist" every year to visit family and friends, I actually get more out of my time there visiting, than when I lived there.

I found a lot of other people in Vail when they hit my age realized the same and many moved to Denver. Down there you could have a regular job and a regular house and work regular hours.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Yep, that is something I always point out and I think a lot of people don't get it. Living someplace is way different from being a tourist, especially when it comes to mountain Colorado.

I reached that point with Vail and as I was getting into my 30's it was time to make a break to live my dreams. I actually had several opportunities for advancement and they were good opportunities. I would not have been fulfilled as a person, but I would have made a decent income and continued to live in a ski town. I chose to cut out of town to do what I really wanted with my life.

Now visiting as a "tourist" every year to visit family and friends, I actually get more out of my time there visiting, than when I lived there.

I found a lot of other people in Vail when they hit my age realized the same and many moved to Denver. Down there you could have a regular job and a regular house and work regular hours.
I feel the same way. That is why I will always live on the front range and someday have a cabin in the mountains where I can use it to "escape the rat race".

Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 PM

41 posts, read 108,169 times
Thanks for all the responses. I was actually able to pay Montrose a visit this week! It didn't strike me as a fantasy mountain-resort town. It was a real life place with people going about their business like any other city with 20,000 people.
WhereToNext, thanks for your honesty! I can tell we have different perspectives, but I appreciate you sharing yours. I don't own a Kindle either, or an iPhone for that matter. I'm honestly not sure how what you described is much different from the situation I'd find in any rural area, except for the overpriced part.

Just so everyone knows, I'm looking at Montrose because of a job, not because of some pipe dream of mountain paradise living. I love to hike/ski/hunt and all that, but that is not the purpose of the move.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:35 PM

35 posts, read 63,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Just become a millionaire and then buy a second home in Colorado and spend time there whenever you want. Geez, it's so simple.
LOL -- I already HAVE a house here in CO. I just need to get out and travel more, which is the reason I retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The problem, Jim, for people who don't fit into the small town lifestyle - and there are a number of us - is that you can't just go look for the right group of friends. In the small town, the choices are very limited.

contrast with urban environments, where you can find just about any type of friendships you want without looking too hard.
Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
To me Montrose isn't a small town. 20,000 is a lot of people, too big for me. Ridgway at 800 is the perfect size. Delta is almost too big for me at nearly 9,000 people. I dunno, I guess it's all in personality. I tend to talk to everyone I see, and am interested in their story.

Jim, I tend to be more outgoing when I'm on the road. When I get home to my house and comfort zone, I seem to lose the spunk to go out hunting for friends -- so......I'll take that part of the blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
From my observations and from talking to others this is what I have come to believe:

Men have a much easier time at making new friends in any community than women. Why? It's not because they are friendlier or nicer or anything like that. It's because married women want to keep single women far away from "their man". The men aren't willing to make it an issue so they will both just ignore you. Short of wearing a sign on your forehead saying "I don't want your dam* husband" - and that wouldn't even help - they just want you gone. Men don't react to other single men in the same fashion, so when Jim says how easy he has had it making new friends -oh what a surprise.

Best of luck to you - I have no answers.
You are so right. Wives think we single women are all looking. We are NOT. I am so madly independent......there's no man who could put up with me, and I can't imagine living with anybody now -- except my two dogs. My Dad taught me to be independent -- well, he overdid it! LOL!

Thank you for a totally refreshing "take" on my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

You are very lucky to have found reality. Good post.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-26-2012 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Merged 5:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado