U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,634,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
And yet you keep on coming back to try...
Not worth the effort Bob since you don't know how to debate. Only spout & judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 02:52 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
CarawayDJ wrote:
BIG BIG difference. They actually started cleaning up the military in the mid 80's. I joined the Army right as they started clamping down. You could have fought a war with all of the soldiers being busted. Nothing like that now. By the time I left the Army I knew very few people getting busted for comping up positive. It happened, but rather uncommon. The military typically tests for anything and everything. I'm sure there is still drug use, but I'm also sure it is WAY less than outside of the military. Nobody with half a brain will risk being demoted, losing pay, and even being kicked out of the military just to smoke a joint.

Yeah, we're talking about different eras, aren't we. Back in the times I wrote about ( early 70s ), the military enlisted ranks and lower level officer ranks were mostly draftees rather than volunteers. A high percentage of those draftees didn't want to be there, but they chose what seemed like the lesser of two evils. Rather than going to prison, they reluctanlty became soldiers. Many of them only wished they could get kicked out......just by smoking a joint.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:17 PM

704 posts, read 1,497,099 times
Say what you want about the policy merits of legalization, but the goal should be to decrease the use of marijuana (which legalization does not seem to do). You're out of your mind if you find something valuable or good about marijuana use. It is a sad society--and, of course, we are a sad society--that needs a narcotic to bring enough excitement or interest to life to make it worth living. I don't think I've ever met a marijuana user/addict/whatever whose life I'd want to live for myself, which is why I often feel a real sense of sadness when I see (and usually smell) marijuana users on the light rail or coming out of a dispensary. These people are living for "the bud," which is really no way to live at all.

Call it corny, but I call it powerful: with God's grace, I've built a life that is worthy of living and it's a life far more exciting than the momentary highs of a drug-induced state of excitement. My hunch is that your average pothead has probably given up on that possibilty and has instead turned to a daily joint to do it for them. That's a sad existence, and it's one nobody envies.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:54 PM

GoneNative: I can honestly make a statement similar to yours...with God's grace, I've built a life that is worthy of living that ocassionally includes a minute amount of MJ that God so graciously included in the creation.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:43 PM

261 posts, read 620,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Say what you want about the policy merits of legalization, but the goal should be to decrease the use of marijuana (which legalization does not seem to do). You're out of your mind if you find something valuable or good about marijuana use. It is a sad society--and, of course, we are a sad society--that needs a narcotic to bring enough excitement or interest to life to make it worth living. I don't think I've ever met a marijuana user/addict/whatever whose life I'd want to live for myself, which is why I often feel a real sense of sadness when I see (and usually smell) marijuana users on the light rail or coming out of a dispensary. These people are living for "the bud," which is really no way to live at all.

Call it corny, but I call it powerful: with God's grace, I've built a life that is worthy of living and it's a life far more exciting than the momentary highs of a drug-induced state of excitement. My hunch is that your average pothead has probably given up on that possibilty and has instead turned to a daily joint to do it for them. That's a sad existence, and it's one nobody envies.
Well, I think it's sad that you think it's sad when someone smokes pot but they aren't really sad, in this sad society. That's just sad. When you feel the sadness overtaking you, I suggest you try minding your own business. It works wonders.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 PM

3,869 posts, read 13,044,988 times
Weed, pot is no more a narcotic than alcohol is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
It is a sad society--and, of course, we are a sad society--that needs a narcotic to bring enough excitement or interest to life to make it worth living..

Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 AM

GoneNative wrote:
It is a sad society--and, of course, we are a sad society
In reality, societies are not sad. For better or worse, they are what they are. You are projecting your own inner sadness on to society. It's a common strategy to avoid changing yourself. You might consider examining your thoughts and beliefs about MJ that are at the root of your sadness. Or if you prefer...just stay sad. It is your choice.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 PM

166 posts, read 368,399 times
So wierd, my husband and I were talking about this last weekend. My firm belief is this...when the generation who were shown the 1936 classic "Reefer Madness" during their formative years eventually dies off, this debate will end. Unfortunately, most of our lawmakers fall into that age group.....Google it~ you'll see what I mean... you can hear it in some of the arguments in this thread! My Dad says he was shown that movie when he went into the Army in 1953.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:25 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,709,803 times
Not everyone is the same. Not everyone has the same beliefs. Not everyone has the same physiology. Not everyone fits the mold of believing in God, or gods, or no such thing at all, and not everyone can solve every problem with alcohol, or marijuana, or ritalin, or claritin, or what have you.

But some things work for some people that don't work for others. So long as those things aren't harming the rest of us, I still don't see why we should care what someone is putting in their own body. I'm a vegetarian, but I do NOT go around telling everyone I know that they need to give up meat because I happen to disagree with it (or it disagrees with me.)

I think it's important that each of us are conscious of what we are doing, as frequently as we can be...but that's the most we can ask. Be aware of what you are doing, and then make your decisions appropriately. Beyond that, it's not really my business if pot, or God, or beef happens to make you feel better, function better or be better in your own point of view.

If someone can TRULY show me how this issue hurts our society as a whole, and I know plenty of very high functioning people that smoke, or drink, or do many other things, then I might change my mind. I used to be one of those people that bought into the Schedule 1 hype machine. Once I saw MJ in action I observed that it didn't fit the propaganda that had been pushed on me.

If it hurts us all, I'll change my tune, but otherwise, why are we trying to tell other people what they can and can't do with their own bodies?

Old 12-17-2011, 06:42 PM

14,489 posts, read 22,337,836 times
Zen, good points... but the law is the law. If you don't like the law, then vote. If you don't like the laws of one state or municipality, then change it or vote with your feet... or break the law and suffer the consequences.

If you break certain laws and get punished, they will tear up your right-to-drink-booze/take-drugs ticket. You might even be sent to treatment, prescribed some pharmaceutical, diagnosed with a nifty label and you will be part of the lucrative rehab industry.

The simple solution would seem to be to just put the chight down and find a new hobby. But we've gone too far to even suggest such a simple solution as we've tread on other people's values principles... politics... or another way to put it... we've stepped on their ego.

Last edited by McGowdog; 12-17-2011 at 06:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado