U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:44 PM

6,493 posts, read 5,217,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxnFlutman View Post
I see someone beat me to the punch. ALCOHOL KILLS THOUSANDS, I guess you'll know that now.... I've had friends who weren't alcoholics or ever in trouble with the law, etc, who died as their livers could not handle the booze... With a plant like marijuana, where not a single case of it ever killing anyone, yet you believe possessing it should deprive people of their freedom, and future, while a killer like alcohol, (which often kills innocent people around them), is freely available, is pure insanity, period....
Hey, you look like you'd enjoy my newly published post on the City-Data forums. In this exciting new edition, I say I don't think people should go to prison for marijuana affiliation. I also tell who the REAL killer is, and how they framed alcohol as a cold-breweded murderer! I'm sorry to hear about your friends (you did say 'friends', PLURAL, right? Interesting) But I still say it was the act of drinking it when they shouldn't. And if you told me they had no warning signs that they should stop, it'd be the first case I had EVER heard of. One for the Guinness indeed (pun intended).

Alcohol kills no one, unless this entire time we've been discussing a Mr. Edward Alcohol who has been videotaped shooting his victim dead. I do apologize if that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
You are blind, whether or not it's willful I don't yet know. Portugal decriminalized all drugs and usage dropped.
And how is decriminalization different from what I said should be done? Or do you not know the difference between decriminalization and legalization? And also, let's not compare Portugal and the U.S. It's a silly idea. The Portugese told me right before they aired 'Jackass'.

Quote:
They're already freely available to anyone who wants them, and most who want them are already using them. Rare indeed is a person waiting for the law to say it's okay.
You're theorizing at me again, DF. It's not that people are sitting around saying, "I'd do it, if only it were legal". It's that you have to know the right people (and they have to know you). It's NOT as easy as you're claiming, because I don't know any drug dealers nor have I ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 09:15 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,174,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
You're theorizing at me again, DF. It's not that people are sitting around saying, "I'd do it, if only it were legal". It's that you have to know the right people (and they have to know you). It's NOT as easy as you're claiming, because I don't know any drug dealers nor have I ever.
You live a sheltered life.

I don't know any "drug dealers" either, defining "drug dealer" as someone who makes their sole living from producing and selling and/or reselling drugs. Yet, if i want some, and from time to time, I do, a few phone calls is all it takes.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
You live a sheltered life.
I don't know any "drug dealers" either, defining "drug dealer" as someone who makes their sole living from producing and selling and/or reselling drugs. Yet, if i want some, and from time to time, I do, a few phone calls is all it takes.
Haha, well there ya go. To the extent that I'm not the only person in the U.S. who "lives a sheltered life", the law's serving a purpose.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,174,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Haha, well there ya go. To the extent that I'm not the only person in the U.S. who "lives a sheltered life", the law's serving a purpose.
You are one of the few.

I am a college educated, white collar professional. By day I advise corporate enterprises on what their strategies should be. Were you to see me in that role, based on your naivete, I'd guess it would shock you that I have such connections.

And yet, most of them look like me during working hours.

Things that make you go hmm.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
You are one of the few.

I am a college educated, white collar professional. By day I advise corporate enterprises on what their strategies should be. Were you to see me in that role, based on your naivete, I'd guess it would shock you that I have such connections.

No, this is just making me yawn, actually. Maybe I'll check with you guys tomorrow. Lock up! Alcohol may be just a few blocks away

Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,783,192 times
Quote:
You are one of the few.

It gives me no comfort to know that people working in responsible positions buy illicit drugs from criminals to use in their free time. I have to wonder what kind of ethics they have in their workplace if they can justify engaging in illegal activities when they are not working. Probably not very good ethics. I find it very strange that those who buy illegal marijuana can say with a straight face that their drug-dealing "connections" are somehow different than those who deal meth, cocaine, heroin, or other dangerous drugs. They're not. They are all slimeballs selling an illegal substance for profit. And they exist because fools like you financially support them.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:36 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
Just because toxic pharmaceuticals are legal does not make them good. Just because something like MJ is declared illegal does not make it bad. There are times when CIVIL DIS-OBEDIENCE is called for.
Individuals should not permit governments to overrule or atrophy their consciences, and that they have a duty to avoid allowing such acquiescence to enable the government to make them the agents of injustice.....Henry David Thoreau

The only obligation which I have a right to assume is to do at any time what I think right... Law never made men a whit more just; and, by means of their respect for it, even the well-disposed are daily made the agents of injustice.....Henry David Thoreau

That being said, even in the days when I used MJ frequently, I never spent a nickle on it. It was 99% locally grown. More than a year and half ago, when visiting a friend in CA, he gave me one joint of his home grown as a going away gift. I used the last of it a month ago. I use it so infrequently, that one joint lasted almost a year and a half. When it's gone it's gone. I don't miss it, but I sure do enjoy it when it is available. Abstinence is over rated. Been there, done that with no MJ, and no alcohol for more than 30 years. Then I got off my high horse, holier than thou attitude and CONSCIOUSLY made a choice to use it every now and then.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-20-2011 at 08:55 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 09:03 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,783,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Just because toxic pharmaceuticals are legal does not make them good. Just because something like MJ is declared illegal does not make it bad. There are times when CIVIL DIS-OBEDIENCE is called for.
Individuals should not permit governments to overrule or atrophy their consciences, and that they have a duty to avoid allowing such acquiescence to enable the government to make them the agents of injustice.....Henry David Thoreau

The only obligation which I have a right to assume is to do at any time what I think right... Law never made men a whit more just; and, by means of their respect for it, even the well-disposed are daily made the agents of injustice.....Henry David Thoreau

That being said, even in the days when I used MJ frequently, I never spent a nickle on it. It was 99% locally grown. More than a year and half ago, when visiting a friend in CA, he gave me one joint of his home grown as a going away gift. I used the last of it a month ago. I use it so infrequently, that one joint lasted almost a year and a half. When it's gone it's gone. I don't miss it, but I sure do enjoy it when it is available. Abstinence is over rated. Been there, done that with no MJ, and no alcohol for more than 30 years. Then I got off my high horse, holier than thou attitude and CONSCIOUSLY made a choice to use it every now and then.

My response:

Quote:
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.""Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
President Theodore Roosevelt - Third Annual Message to Congress, December 7, 1903

Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 AM

Ehh, I agree with CosmicWizard that a little civil disobedience is perfectly fine. But I don't agree that abstinence is overrated (one word). Reasons for it may be overVALUED, but I think abstinence from drugs of any kind is great! What could be better than getting your highs from something within than an external source?

And yes, before anyone asked, I've been your kind of high before.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 AM

169 posts, read 325,963 times
"The irresponsibility lies with those who think we need to stop people from pursuing these activities because they don't know how to mind their own business."

Hear, hear. You've managed to summarize my thoughts on this subject in this one sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado