U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:29 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,186,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
"The irresponsibility lies with those who think we need to stop people from pursuing these activities because they don't know how to mind their own business."

Hear, hear. You've managed to summarize my thoughts on this subject in this one sentence.
When morons support criminal activity like the illicit drug trade that compromises public safety and encourages disregard of duly enacted law, then it does become somebody's else's business. If there is a common thread among illicit drug users, it is usually that they are self-indulgent jerks who think only of themselves and the hell with what their "habit" does to anyone else--directly or indirectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM

20,380 posts, read 37,943,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
When morons support criminal activity like the illicit drug trade that compromises public safety and encourages disregard of duly enacted law, then it does become somebody's else's business. If there is a common thread among illicit drug users, it is usually that they are self-indulgent jerks who think only of themselves and the hell with what their "habit" does to anyone else--directly or indirectly.
Typical of you to refer to those who disagree with your views as "morons" or "criminals" or "jerks" ... which means our fathers and grandfathers were all of these things for drinking during prohibition, and most of them did just that, and found alcohol as readily available on every block just as MJ is available today on every block.

The real jerks and morons back then were the ones who shoved prohibition down the nation's throat, a bunch of bible-thumping ninnies who thought they were doing the "christian" thing, i.e., I'm referring to the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, a bunch of morons and jerks if ever was.... Now we have the government telling us MJ is bad, and even though I've never touched it or any other substance, my opinion is to make it fully legal and tax the hell out of it as we do for tobacco and alcohol. I've alcoholics in the extended family, and I've a B-I-L now in hospice at a V-A hospital as he dies of lung cancer....from smoking....yet people want to keep on insisting that MJ / MMJ is bad for them....bah humbug!

Down the road we can also legalize the world's oldest profession, regulate it, and tax the hell out of it too...but we'll save that topic for a thread in P&OC. It's time we got the "moral" ones the hell out of everyone's private lives and bedrooms.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:49 AM

6,009 posts, read 4,971,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
"The irresponsibility lies with those who think we need to stop people from pursuing these activities because they don't know how to mind their own business."

Hear, hear. You've managed to summarize my thoughts on this subject in this one sentence.
Yeah, well people should have more thoughts on the subject. Irresponsibility and "not minding your own business" (which is a ridiculous cliche first uttered by a toddler, albeit in fewer words) are entirely separate concepts, almost opposites in fact. Please pay more attention to the statements you agree with.

I'll admit I was flat-out mocking the idea that alcohol itself is responsible for so many alcohol-RELATED deaths. But it's thinking like that that ensures marijuana stays illegal in the first place. People fear the substance and downplay the importance of educating people to use it responsibly. Not that I think your average U.S. citizen is ready to handle either substance properly, but the point is they might be someday if we stop blaming human behavior on inanimate objects.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:50 AM

169 posts, read 319,306 times
"What could be better than getting your highs from something within than an external source?"

Ummm, getting high from weed, I thought we were making that clear. If I could replicate the feeling internally I'd be all in, but since I can't, pass the bong.
As I stated earlier, this isn't about right and wrong, it's about the misinformed jamming their morals down our throats and using an archaic law to back up their beliefs. Jazz has made it abundantly clear in this, and many other threads, that he is a sheep, that the gubmint is the final arbiter of everything that happens in his life, but at least he has the cajones to admit it. He won't see it that way but it's the truth. He, and so many others in this thread, allow someone else to decide how they should lead their lives but as John Fogerty so eloquently states: "It ain't me." Roughly five-hundred blue-blooded legislators make the rules for the other three million of us, but every now and then, they need reminding who's in charge: I'm doing my part.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:07 PM

'Better' being subjective, I don't think getting high from weed is any better than getting "high on life" (we really need a less lame cliche here though). Like I'm saying, you wanna talk freely accessible? It doesn't get any better than a natural high. I don't have to waste time or money acquiring mine, you know?

No one who is misinformed should tell you what you should or shouldn't do. I'll agree with you on that.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,499,096 times
There have been times in my life when I fully believed that a so-called natural high was superior to a high induced by an external substance. Then it dawned on me that this attitude was merely an unproven assumption that getting high without an external source was somehow better than getting high from an external source. Wether I get high from sitting on the top of a mountain that took many hrs of strenuous hiking to reach ( I do this often! ), or get high from an intense workout in the gym ( I've been doing this 5 days a week for the past 40 years! ), or get high from 20 mins of meditation ( been doing this daily for most of my adult life! ), or get high from a toke on a joint while sitting on my ass in the comfort of a friends house...it's all the same to me. Making one kind of high supposedly better than another high is the chicanery of the ego, attempting to classify experience into a silly pyramidal heirarchy.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-20-2011 at 12:19 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 12:16 PM

2,561 posts, read 4,886,527 times
Colorado will be one of the first states to fully legalize MJ. For those cowering in fear over this very thought: Weep not that the world changes but that you remain stagnant.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Colorado will be one of the first states to fully legalize MJ. For those cowering in fear over this very thought: Weep not that the world changes but that you remain stagnant.
That I like. All of it.

CosmicWizard, I admitted "better" is subjective. But that being the case, to the extent you are still in control of your own mind (not a "sheep", to put it one way?), you can come to believe either choice is superior. Why not choose one that makes you physically active rather than lazy, costs less, and doesn't put you in jail?

Old 12-20-2011, 12:43 PM

76 posts, read 156,497 times
Default Question about Colorado people on weed

Question: Do a lot of people in Colorado smoke pot?

Answer: Yes

Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 PM

169 posts, read 319,306 times
"Then it dawned on me that this attitude was merely an unproven assumption that getting high without an external source was somehow better than getting high from an external source."

This says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado