U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,159,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post

Huh? That's exactly what we're doing, you just don't like it.
Well, you haven't done it yet on the federal level, and I doubt that it will happen. Why? Because I don't think the majority of the American people are really in favor of legalization--at least not vigorously enough in favor of it to devote the time and effort to make legalization a reality.

And, yes, I do not like like marijuana and other illicit recreational drugs. I don't use them, and I've never spent a nickel to buy them--and I won't. I wouldn't use marijuana if it was legal. I don't need that crap in my life, and I think people who do are pretty damned foolish. Unfortunately, when they wreck their lives with illicit drugs, their families, friends, and society get to pay for their folly, too. I've seen plenty of that over the years.

You can insult me all you want, but I know where my values are centered, I know where my moral compass is, and I don't have to apologize to anybody for how I live my life. And I don't need to ingest any chemicals to make me feel good about myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 AM

13,729 posts, read 21,563,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You can insult me all you want, but I know where my values are centered, I know where my moral compass is, and I don't have to apologize to anybody for how I live my life. And I don't need to ingest any chemicals to make me feel good about myself.
That's all very noble. But why do you feel the need to transcribe your belief systems on those that might benefit from the herb in ways that transcend your values, your moral compass, and your level of compassion?

Potheads are a pain in the neck, especially when you have to put your trust, hope, and sometimes lungs in their hands. But there are other defects of character that are/can be quite as annoying.

I did used to poke smot and that was the least of my worries. The way I drank booze, flirted with your wife, spilled and broke things, pushed you around and woke up the next day and asked you what happened the night before... now that was scary. In less than a month, it'll be 8 years since I had a sip of booze. This is a big deal for me. I have nothing against booze because I know that booze was/is not the problem. Booze is not the problem for you, her, them... so I say Bottoms Up! Cheers! Have a drink on me.

But... if you are drinking heavily or doing some drug that you can't control, let me talk to ya for a minute.

If you don't have any problems, hats off to you. It's nice to see what well-adjusted and perfect looks like.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:10 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,483,879 times
jazzlover wrote:
I know where my moral compass is, and I don't have to apologize to anybody for how I live my life. And I don't need to ingest any chemicals to make me feel good about myself.
Wether one uses MJ or not has nothing to do with morality or need. It is simply a choice.....one way or the other.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,218,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
That's all very noble. But why do you feel the need to transcribe your belief systems on those that might benefit from the herb in ways that transcend your values, your moral compass, and your level of compassion?

Potheads are a pain in the neck, especially when you have to put your trust, hope, and sometimes lungs in their hands. But there are other defects of character that are/can be quite as annoying.

I did used to poke smot and that was the least of my worries. The way I drank booze, flirted with your wife, spilled and broke things, pushed you around and woke up the next day and asked you what happened the night before... now that was scary. In less than a month, it'll be 8 years since I had a sip of booze. This is a big deal for me. I have nothing against booze because I know that booze was/is not the problem. Booze is not the problem for you, her, them... so I say Bottoms Up! Cheers! Have a drink on me.

But... if you are drinking heavily or doing some drug that you can't control, let me talk to ya for a minute.

If you don't have any problems, hats off to you. It's nice to see what well-adjusted and perfect looks like.
Very well stated McGowdog! I completely agree that pot isn't the problem, as booze isn't the problem, as (insert whatever substance here) isn't the problem. It's the person who makes the choice and who sometimes can't handle the effects. I know many people who occasionally toke the MJ, drink a few drinks, etc and are perfectly functional, well balanced, and productive human beings. I also know the opposite. I've dealt with the ultimate consequence of the opposite. I lost a brother-in-law to drugs! BUT, it wasn't the drugs that caused the problem, it was him. He wasn't willing or able to deal with the painful abuse he endured during his childhood. He had to mask his problem. Not everyone is using to completely black out and forget about their lives.

It's not my place to say what is "moral." Morality has nothing to do with smoking pot! It's only illicit because the government has deemed it so.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM

6,009 posts, read 4,959,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jazzlover wrote:
I know where my moral compass is, and I don't have to apologize to anybody for how I live my life. And I don't need to ingest any chemicals to make me feel good about myself.
Wether one uses MJ or not has nothing to do with morality or need. It is simply a choice.....one way or the other.
That's not necessarily true. Everything is subject to the question of its morality, whether it causes more harm than good. And to say the least, there is no consensus on whether or not marijuana is addictive.

jazzlover, do you have an educated opinion on marijuana's harmfulness (aside from how some people are irresponsible with it) or just how addictive it is, depending on your definition of both terms? I mean, vague comments based on your personal experience or people you know doesn't demonstrate much of a reliable compass...

Old 12-21-2011, 12:33 PM

Vic 2.0 wrote:
And to say the least, there is no consensus on whether or not marijuana is addictive.
If something being addictive makes it bad, then substances like sugar, table salt, coffee and many other commonly used substances are all bad things. Personally I choose not to pollute my body and mind with those things becasue I KNOW from having used them in the past that my body can't handle that stuff. However, I'm not going to lobby for a law to protect me from them.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:57 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
That's not necessarily true. Everything is subject to the question of its morality, whether it causes more harm than good. And to say the least, there is no consensus on whether or not marijuana is addictive.

jazzlover, do you have an educated opinion on marijuana's harmfulness (aside from how some people are irresponsible with it) or just how addictive it is, depending on your definition of both terms? I mean, vague comments based on your personal experience or people you know doesn't demonstrate much of a reliable compass...
Most "experts" are of the opinion that marijuana is not physically addictive, but that it is likely psychologically addictive. My experience with people that I have known that are regular marijuana users has been that, whether their addiction is physical or psychological, it tends to be pretty strong. Just like there are a lot of people who can drink alcohol and not be alcoholics, there are undoubtedly people who can use marijuana without becoming addicted to it. I think that is true with most any drug, with the exception of meth, which any drug expert will tell you is highly addictive with even just one use. The fact that some people may not become addicted to marijuana is hardly a ringing endorsement to encourage its use. As for other health issues surrounding marijuana use, there is no denying that heavy smoking of marijuana can lead to the same lung problems--emphysema and lung cancer--that smoking tobacco can. Lungs don't deal well with smoke, no matter what substance it comes from. I'm especially sensitive about that, having had close relatives die from lung cancer. Yes, there are other likely safer ways to ingest marijuana, but most people seem to choose to smoke it.

My experience has been that when any drug, legal or not, becomes the center of one's life, it is going to lead to a bad outcome. My experience with people that I've known who were heavy marijuana users pretty much supports that conclusion.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM

6,009 posts, read 4,959,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Vic 2.0 wrote:
And to say the least, there is no consensus on whether or not marijuana is addictive.
If something being addictive makes it bad, then substances like sugar, table salt, coffee and many other commonly used substances are all bad things. Personally I choose not to pollute my body and mind with those things becasue I KNOW from having used them in the past that my body can't handle that stuff. However, I'm not going to lobby for a law to protect me from them.
Fair enough. But how did you conclude that the addictiveness of marijuana and these substances are comparable? I'm just asking! I did always kinda figure coffee would be more chemically addictive than marijuana, but I'm not sure.

At this point, I'm not even concerned about the legal debate (I think we've kicked that dead horse enough). I just think we should all know what's good and what's bad.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:37 PM

Vic 2.0 wrote:
But how did you conclude that the addictiveness of marijuana and these substances are comparable
I use my own bodymind as my guage. I made the comparison to point out that in my bodymind, those substances are less agreebale than MJ. My bodymind can handle MJ much better than it can handle any of those substance. But, I use very little MJ ( about 1 joint per year ), and I completely gave up sugar, coffee, and table salt many years ago becasue I always felt so crappy when I consumed that crap.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 PM

169 posts, read 318,981 times
"You can insult me all you want, but I know where my values are centered, I know where my moral compass is, and I don't have to apologize to anybody for how I live my life. And I don't need to ingest any chemicals to make me feel good about myself.[/quote]"

Jazz, I never intend to insult you, that is until you start throwing around "idiot" and "moron". I respect everyone's opinion, that makes for great discussion, but if you act like an ass you're going to get treated like an ass. I was taught that people only respond to their own communication "style", in other words, if someone is an ass they want/need to converse in that manner or they're lost, hence, I'm an ass, to you. I enjoy your insights, regardless whether I agree with them. This world would be a pretty boring place if there wasn't dissension, but we can still be civil with one another.
Btw, no one said you should apologize for your positions, they are just as valid as mine. See? I can play nice.

Last edited by VenusAllen; 12-21-2011 at 02:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado