U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 PM
 
1,742 posts, read 2,620,461 times
Reputation: 1923

Advertisements

Makes you wonder how Willie has thrived all these years.
RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2011, 05:29 PM
 
91 posts, read 145,660 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Most "experts" are of the opinion that marijuana is not physically addictive, but that it is likely psychologically addictive. My experience with people that I have known that are regular marijuana users has been that, whether their addiction is physical or psychological, it tends to be pretty strong. Just like there are a lot of people who can drink alcohol and not be alcoholics, there are undoubtedly people who can use marijuana without becoming addicted to it. I think that is true with most any drug, with the exception of meth, which any drug expert will tell you is highly addictive with even just one use. The fact that some people may not become addicted to marijuana is hardly a ringing endorsement to encourage its use. As for other health issues surrounding marijuana use, there is no denying that heavy smoking of marijuana can lead to the same lung problems--emphysema and lung cancer--that smoking tobacco can. Lungs don't deal well with smoke, no matter what substance it comes from. I'm especially sensitive about that, having had close relatives die from lung cancer. Yes, there are other likely safer ways to ingest marijuana, but most people seem to choose to smoke it.

My experience has been that when any drug, legal or not, becomes the center of one's life, it is going to lead to a bad outcome. My experience with people that I've known who were heavy marijuana users pretty much supports that conclusion.
Your entire argument is centered around fundamental misunderstandings.

A) Most experts do not agree that marijuana is "psychologically addicting." You made that up.

B) Marijuana does not lead to ANY of the more serious lung problems associated with smoking cigarettes. Marijuana has not been linked with lung cancer ever or even implied as a mild association. Keep in mind that there are billion dollar industries who have invested millions in research desperately trying to prove otherwise (mostly funded by DEA tax dollars, big pharma and the alcohol industry).

When you say things like "any drug expert will tell you [things most drugs experts won't tell you,] and then pass that off as a serious, objective point, you lose anyone with a triple digit IQ.

I don't post when I merely disagree with peoples opinions, but when literally everything someone says is factually incorrect I feel it's worth my time to correct it. In the future, please avoid arguments that you have not properly researched. It makes you look dumb and it adds nothing to the debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 PM
 
Location: TX
6,009 posts, read 4,948,214 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderduder View Post
A) Most experts do not agree that marijuana is "psychologically addicting." You made that up.
I'm not so convinced either way. There are numerous definitions of "psychologically addictive" floating around, and two sources I found in two minutes' time say that "It's possible to develop a psychological addiction to cannabis compounds including tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) found in marijuana and hashish" and "...it is known that marijuana use can lead to psychological addiction and social dependence."

Drug addiction: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Marijuana | CESAR

To be fair, however, the term is practically useless; best I can tell, it means "you want to keep doing it". Marijuana fits in somewhere between video games and candy. The fact that people go to treatment centers to be treated of their "addiction" could be more of a social influence or fear of the law than genuine addiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
Reputation: 9066
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderduder View Post
Your entire argument is centered around fundamental misunderstandings.

A) Most experts do not agree that marijuana is "psychologically addicting." You made that up.

B) Marijuana does not lead to ANY of the more serious lung problems associated with smoking cigarettes. Marijuana has not been linked with lung cancer ever or even implied as a mild association. Keep in mind that there are billion dollar industries who have invested millions in research desperately trying to prove otherwise (mostly funded by DEA tax dollars, big pharma and the alcohol industry).

When you say things like "any drug expert will tell you [things most drugs experts won't tell you,] and then pass that off as a serious, objective point, you lose anyone with a triple digit IQ.

I don't post when I merely disagree with peoples opinions, but when literally everything someone says is factually incorrect I feel it's worth my time to correct it. In the future, please avoid arguments that you have not properly researched. It makes you look dumb and it adds nothing to the debate.
So, I guess this article is full of crap, according to you. Does Marijuana Cause Cancer? | Psychology Today

There is a lot of controversy about marijuana use and lung cancer because there have been relatively few long-term studies of marijuana smokers, but it is common sense to me that if both tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke contain similar tars and chemicals, the effect on the lungs would be similar over time.

This article (with citations) from WebMD talks about the psychologically addictive effects of marijuana use. I guess they're full of crap, too, in your mind. Marijuana - Marijuana Use and Effects of Marijuana

And, I'm not "dumb." Go throw that epithet at somebody else--maybe the stoned losers I see hanging around all too regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,756 posts, read 16,459,702 times
Reputation: 9292
jazzlover wrote:
There is a lot of controversy about marijuana use and lung cancer because there have been relatively few long-term studies of marijuana smokers, but it is common sense to me that if both tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke contain similar tars and chemicals, the effect on the lungs would be similar over time.
Well jazz, I will say that I agree with you on this. Even though the lung cancer-MJ connection is not clearly established, common sense tells me that smoke ( of ANY knid ) in the lungs isn't the healthiest practice on the planet. More than any other reason, this concern is why I use MJ oh so rarely. But I have every intention of continuing to use it in moderation. Try it...you might like it! Is that what you are really afraid of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 09:47 AM
 
Location: TX
6,009 posts, read 4,948,214 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jazzlover wrote:
There is a lot of controversy about marijuana use and lung cancer because there have been relatively few long-term studies of marijuana smokers, but it is common sense to me that if both tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke contain similar tars and chemicals, the effect on the lungs would be similar over time.
Well jazz, I will say that I agree with you on this. Even though the lung cancer-MJ connection is not clearly established, common sense tells me that smoke ( of ANY knid ) in the lungs isn't the healthiest practice on the planet. More than any other reason, this concern is why I use MJ oh so rarely. But I have every intention of continuing to use it in moderation. Try it...you might like it! Is that what you are really afraid of?
Don't do it, jazz! This week, a joint. Next week, ya got a needle in both arms and you're jumping off a bridge somewhere. It's a gateway drug, just like Tic Tacs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2011, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Durango, CO
169 posts, read 318,351 times
Reputation: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jazzlover wrote:
There is a lot of controversy about marijuana use and lung cancer because there have been relatively few long-term studies of marijuana smokers, but it is common sense to me that if both tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke contain similar tars and chemicals, the effect on the lungs would be similar over time.
Well jazz, I will say that I agree with you on this. Even though the lung cancer-MJ connection is not clearly established, common sense tells me that smoke ( of ANY knid ) in the lungs isn't the healthiest practice on the planet. More than any other reason, this concern is why I use MJ oh so rarely. But I have every intention of continuing to use it in moderation. Try it...you might like it! Is that what you are really afraid of?
Vaporizer! No harm, no foul, and no smell, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Atlanta Metro
129 posts, read 177,496 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
So, I guess this article is full of crap, according to you. Does Marijuana Cause Cancer? | Psychology Today

There is a lot of controversy about marijuana use and lung cancer because there have been relatively few long-term studies of marijuana smokers, but it is common sense to me that if both tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke contain similar tars and chemicals, the effect on the lungs would be similar over time.

This article (with citations) from WebMD talks about the psychologically addictive effects of marijuana use. I guess they're full of crap, too, in your mind. Marijuana - Marijuana Use and Effects of Marijuana

And, I'm not "dumb." Go throw that epithet at somebody else--maybe the stoned losers I see hanging around all too regularly.

"Marijuana is the safest therapeutically active substance known to man... safer than many foods we commonly consume." - DEA Judge Francis L. Young


"And although there is a perfectly respectable case against using marijuana, the penalties imposed on those who reject that case, or who give way to weakness of resolution, are very difficult to defend." . . - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 06:43 PM
 
Location: TX
6,009 posts, read 4,948,214 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxnFlutman View Post
"Marijuana is the safest therapeutically active substance known to man... safer than many foods we commonly consume." - DEA Judge Francis L. Young


"And although there is a perfectly respectable case against using marijuana, the penalties imposed on those who reject that case, or who give way to weakness of resolution, are very difficult to defend." . . - William F. Buckley, Jr.
How is this a direct response to jazzlover's post? I mean, I agree with both of these quotes, but you quoted jazzlover beforehand. Are they supposed to be relevant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Atlanta Metro
129 posts, read 177,496 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
How is this a direct response to jazzlover's post? I mean, I agree with both of these quotes, but you quoted jazzlover beforehand. Are they supposed to be relevant?
Yeah...... His post talked about how harmful pot is, the quote I posted refuted that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top