Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:47 AM

169 posts, read 373,225 times

Advertisements

Well Bob, I gotta agree that your statement is accurrrte as far as it goes, but it doesn't have very long legs. Chances are pretty darn good that there was very intense stress in their lives PRIOR to their drug ( including alcohol ) use. Here in GJ, many of the homeless are military vets who have fallen on hard times. While serving the country in combat zones, sh*t happens and they come back to the USA with PTSD and much worse. Additionally they get screwded over and neglected by the very government they served with their military service. So, in the bigger picture, a drug pipe is pretty small potatoes on their path to homelessness.

I wonder if Bob feels these same vets are "losers", too? Or perhaps he prefers "weak"? In Bob's world they need to "toughen up" and act like a man's man, slap the wives and kids around, like they did when Bob was growing up, and descend into the abyss of alcoholism. That there's a harmless elixir that aids them is irrelevant, they are in Bob's field of vision, taunting him from their perch on his sidewalk, and he won't stand for it. Sweep 'em under the rug, right, Bob? They saved your ass, you turn your back on theirs---seems about right .
This isn't just a PTSD thing, either, many maladies can be eased with mj. I've mentioned before I have a close family member that NEEDS mj to aid with their sleep, without which anxiety and depression quickly follow. This person had never seen mj until their late thirties and thought they were destined to live a life of hell, until mj came into their life. Btw, this "loser" has multiple degrees, how about you, Bob?
Karma, or whatever YOU call it, has a way of rearing its ugly head. Good luck with any sympathy when it comes calling at your door, Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 PM

35 posts, read 175,376 times
I'm a Colorado native, born and bred.

There are a TON of smokers in Colorado. I think when winter rolls around they don't know what to do with themselves. I think I'm the only person in Colorado who doesn't smoke marijuana.

As for legally, I guess they have the right. I see it as way over-abused. Like this guy I met, why he had a card I couldn't figure out because he was lifting furniture, driving, walking, talking, and otherwise healthy. I think it must be way too easy to obtain if you can say "owwie my back hurts" and they give you that. (I guess they figure its safer than Oxycontin or such).

As for towns, Glenwood Springs is alright. Depending on where you live, most people can't afford it with the rate of living to earning ratio. Or at least that was how it was when I lived there for 3 years. Grand Junction has it in the ghetto-y parts (like parts of Clifton). But then the same could be said for any town.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:07 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post

I wonder if Bob feels these same vets are "losers", too? Or perhaps he prefers "weak"? In Bob's world they need to "toughen up" and act like a man's man, slap the wives and kids around, like they did when Bob was growing up, and descend into the abyss of alcoholism. That there's a harmless elixir that aids them is irrelevant, they are in Bob's field of vision, taunting him from their perch on his sidewalk, and he won't stand for it. Sweep 'em under the rug, right, Bob? They saved your ass, you turn your back on theirs---seems about right .
In my experience, it's usually the drug or alcohol-addled loser that slaps his wife and kids around.

Regarding vets...as a vet myself I am grateful for their service. But my gut feel is that many of the kids that go into the Army would have ended up on the streets that much sooner had they not joined the service. An illiterate dropout veteran is still an illiterate dropout. And when he sticks a dope pipe in his mouth, well yes, he has become a friggin' loser. Being a vet doesn't earn you a lifetime of forebearance for your shortcomings, and dope use is a big one.

Quote:
This isn't just a PTSD thing, either, many maladies can be eased with mj. I've mentioned before I have a close family member that NEEDS mj to aid with their sleep, without which anxiety and depression quickly follow. This person had never seen mj until their late thirties and thought they were destined to live a life of hell, until mj came into their life. Btw, this "loser" has multiple degrees, how about you, Bob?
The medical doctors I trust tell me that this argument is a complete load of cr*p. If indeed the rare person really needs Delta-9 THC as a medication because none of the far better mainstream medicines can be tolerated, it can be prescribed in pharmaceutical grade (i.e. Cannabinol) without prostituting the system wholesale to enable a bunch of drug-seeking potheads to dishonestly claim chronic pain to obtain it.

Quote:
Karma, or whatever YOU call it, has a way of rearing its ugly head. Good luck with any sympathy when it comes calling at your door, Bob
I don't need sympathy from a doper. And I've observed that Karma usually works the other way...drug use has a very consistent way of facilitating an early stop at tragedy's doorstep.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:26 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
"The medical doctors I trust tell me that this argument is a complete load of cr*p. If indeed the rare person really needs Delta-9 THC as a medication because none of the far better mainstream medicines can be tolerated, it can be prescribed in pharmaceutical grade (i.e. Cannabinol) without prostituting the system wholesale to enable a bunch of drug-seeking potheads to dishonestly claim chronic pain to obtain it"

Maybe folks don't want to take a drug that is made in a factory? I hear the "pill" does nothing for your appetite or Nausea? It's for more than chronic pain.

"chronic pain" does not have to be debilitating to be chronic. If someone is controlling their pain they could go to work, not all of the users are disabled..

If we legalized it we can tax it, this tax will be used in part for rehabilitation, education, etc etc.so what bob is complaining about can be addressed and paid for by the users them selves. But most of them(homeless) are alcoholics first and foremost , alcohol a drug that has a physical addiction and withdraw symptoms.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:56 AM

169 posts, read 373,225 times
"But my gut feel is that many of the kids that go into the Army would have ended up on the streets that much sooner had they not joined the service."-Bob from down south

Give a man enough rope...

Last edited by VenusAllen; 01-18-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 03:47 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Shucky darn. Criticism from a self-confessed drug abuser. How could I not take you seriously?

Ask any cop...a drug pipe is standard issue gear for those living on the street. Oh yeah, now tell me that their drug use had nothing to do with how they ended up there.

But hey, you just keep paddling...that river in Egypt is very long indeed.
You no longer have any credibility Bob.... period. You do nothing but call people names because you don't have any facts... just what you think you know. You can't back anything up.... you have no links, you have absolutely nothing to stand on here. I say you were just a troll but then I think most trolls are smarter.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:54 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Bob wrote:
Being a vet doesn't earn you a lifetime of forebearance for your shortcomings, and dope use is a big one.
True again, but only from a from a very limited perspective. To me, forebearance is not something that needs to be earned, but rather something that a compassionate human being gives freely to everyone, regardless of a persons lot in life.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,446 times
I agree, but I mainly only feel that way about alcohol. As a college student, I don't see why people feel the need to drink all the time, just to get wasted and do stupid things. I mean, being in Boulder - we have mountains and huge rock walls to climb right outside, and yet I seem to be one of the few my age who actually enjoy the outdoors and take advantage of it as a means of having fun in life. Oh well, more fresh air for me then. Fortunately I've actually met some others that share the same interest and are always up for a hike.

A little of the same with the weed smokers, but smoking weed just relaxes a person, it doesn't make them do stupid things. And I'd MUCH rather smell weed smoke than cigarette smoke... Weed smoke actually smells kind of good (my opinion), and cigarette smoke just chokes me. I can't believe cigarettes are legal and marijuana isn't. It should be the other way around! Would I ever try it? Meh.

But yes, there are so many other ways to be a "not boring" person... Hell, we live in Colorado, there's unlimited things to do, just go outside. As for the person who said "boring to be around"... I think sitting on a couch doing nothing would be rather boring, compared to hauling yourself to the top of a 14,000 foot mountain on a sunny morning/day. Give me the mountain any day.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
You no longer have any credibility Bob.... period. You do nothing but call people names because you don't have any facts... just what you think you know. You can't back anything up.... you have no links, you have absolutely nothing to stand on here. I say you were just a troll but then I think most trolls are smarter.
An assessment of my credibility by a self-confessed drug abuser means nothing to me.

Referring to a self-confessed drug abuser as "a self-confessed drug abuser" is not name-calling, that's simply an observation of fact.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Bob wrote:
Being a vet doesn't earn you a lifetime of forebearance for your shortcomings, and dope use is a big one.
True again, but only from a from a very limited perspective. To me, forebearance is not something that needs to be earned, but rather something that a compassionate human being gives freely to everyone, regardless of a persons lot in life.
Sorry, but drug abuse isn't a person's lot in life...it's a life choice--a poor one--and not worthy of respect. The guys I respect are the ones that deal with life's tougher challenges without resorting to dope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado