U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 AM

9,060 posts, read 17,378,535 times

Advertisements

I QUIT

In my late adolescence and early twenties it was recreational fun and amusing. Now smoking weed just makes me lethargic, unmotivated, procrastinative, and even depressed. Everybody is wired differently with different body chemistry as some seem unaffected by it and some are even energized by it. It seems to be juvenile to me now and many of my old friends that are chronic potheads seem to live pretty dull lives and still center themselves around weed doing the same things they were years ago, never evolving or changing very much. I'm glad I've grown out of that.

As I said there are certainly exceptions and there are some productive pot smokers living meaningful lives. It's just my observation from my past use of it and others closely associated with me that it does have detrimental effects, it's NOT HARMLESS as so many seem to believe. However it is a pretty lightweight drug when compared to booze and hard drugs like cocaine and meth. Weed is actually worlds apart from those substances and does not trigger violence. For me it just triggers lethargy and boredom.

With all that said though I don't care for weed and would rather not be in the company of potheads, I strongly oppose prohibition of marijuana. The penalties are ridiculous, the rates of incarceration in the US in which illegalized marijuana contributes to are absurd, and the violence prohibition triggers with the cartels and trade from Mexico is tragic. It would save the US and Mexico a lot of grief and money if marijuana were legalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCityKid View Post
I just feel that sitting on a mountain and breathing in the fresh air is the greatest high there is.
I couldn't agree more.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 12-09-2011 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,546,936 times
I don't see race or religion. Or sex
Your are right you can’t fire someone for those reasons, well at least you can't admit it. I don't hire petite women as I need someone who can lift #50lbs all day long.

I you can fire someone for “no reason” at all.
“We no longer require your services, your fired”
‘you don’t fit in with the crew”
“your fired here is your check.
My wife is a upper management for a large company that is world wide, she to can fire someone for “no reason”.

The only time I need to dot the I’s or cross the t’s is if sex, race or religion plays a role.
If your religion is disrupting the work force I will fire you for it.

Your right the test for pot only tells you that THC has been metabolized by the body.
What you fail to grasp is I or any business can have a “0” tolerance policy. It will not matter when you smoked the pot , at home or on the job. If you test positive you will be fired.
It does not matter if it is legal or not.

If you are on the clock and watching the game on Sunday ?
I sure can, again if you smoke pot and get tested on Tuesday you will be terminated on the spot.
I’m waiting for this lawyer to school me, as I was a supervisor for a business that was a union shop
And I did fire people. I’ve been lower management at a couple of other business also and I have yet be schooled.
The union tried to school me, we did give a few 2nd chances but they were gone with in a year.
For a business that has a “0” tolerance policy it does not matter if you got high on your own time or not or if it is legal or not.
So the business can still provide a work place free from people who could be under the influence.

Legalizing it will not limit the employers rights to have a drug free work place to have a safe work force one that is not under the influence.
There will still be consequences for being under the influence of drugs in the work place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Maybe we need to have this discussion over a beer, because this Internet thing just isn't cutting it. I guess we are talking past each other.
Under the employment-at-will doctrine, an employer can generally fire an employee for any reason or for no reason at all. However, there are some things that an employer can't fire an employee for. Employers cannot fire employees for reasons that would violate anti-discrimination laws. (For more information on employment discrimination laws read the article, "Employment Discrimination Laws You Should Be Aware Of".) An employer also cannot fire an employee for reasons that would violate public policy. For example, an employer cannot fire an employee because that employee turned the employer in for violating the law.

Can An Employer Legally Fire You Without a Reason?
Yes, it is legal.
You were an "at will" employee, which meant you could be left go, at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all.(non union)

(MoneyWatch) By now, you've probably heard about the car salesman in Chicago who was fired for wearing a Green Bay Packers tie to work the day after the Bears lost to the Packers in the NFC Championship game. Full disclosure: I know as much about football as I do about quantum physics and care about it even less. But what I do care about is civility in the workplace. In this case, I'm not sure who was the bigger offender: John Stone, for his thoroughly bone-headed choice of neck wear; or Jerry Roberts, the Chevrolet dealership's general manager, for his hotheaded reaction. Boys, grow up!
To answer the first question on everyone's mind: Yes, apparently firing Stone was perfectly legal. "Under Illinois at will employment law, any employee without a contract can be fired for any reason as long as it's not an illegal reason,"
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505143_1...uld-you-maybe/

*****by Bob Egelko, San Francisco Chronicle
January 24th, 2008

An employee who uses medical marijuana at home can be fired for testing positive for the drug at work, the California Supreme Court ruled today.

i have worked for 1.5 years at the same place. my direct supervisor knows i have a medical card and the company is going to start enforcing a random drug test policy. I t has had a policy as far as policies and proceedures are concerned but has never been enforced. Due to a large amount of injuries recently they are going to begin enforcing the policy. Can i be fired if i test positive for marijauna?

The California Supreme Court established in Ross v. RagingWire Telecommunications, Inc. (2008) 42 Cal.4th 920, that the Compassionate Use Act did not prevent an employer from enforcing conditions of employment prohibiting the use of marijuana. If your employer has a policy regarding positive drug tests, then yes they can fire you if anything out of concern that being under the influence of this drug affects your job performance.

Last edited by snofarmer; 12-09-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 09:20 AM

169 posts, read 318,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
VenusAllen wrote:
someone decided weed was bad
That someone would be the likes of the pharmaceutical companies, pesticide companies, cotton growers, the wood pulp industry, etc. The AMA was initially against the prohibition of cannabis because many doctors of that era recognized the healing benefits of MJ. During WW2, farmers were recruited to grow cannabis for uniforms, ropes, etc to supply the military. MJ is currently illegal, primarily because it would harm the profits of certain special interests. A smear campaign filled with lies and half truths to induce fear has been going on for generations now, resulting in a high percentage of the population being totally brainwashed against it. If the gubmint say so...it must be true. That's my 2 cents!
Well said. If you don't mind I'll throw my two cents in with yours and we'll be worth nearly a nickel.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,658,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
VenusAllen wrote:
someone decided weed was bad
That someone would be the likes of the pharmaceutical companies, pesticide companies, cotton growers, the wood pulp industry, etc. The AMA was initially against the prohibition of cannabis because many doctors of that era recognized the healing benefits of MJ. During WW2, farmers were recruited to grow cannabis for uniforms, ropes, etc to supply the military. MJ is currently illegal, primarily because it would harm the profits of certain special interests. A smear campaign filled with lies and half truths to induce fear has been going on for generations now, resulting in a high percentage of the population being totally brainwashed against it. If the gubmint say so...it must be true. That's my 2 cents!
I'll tell you what, Wiz, it's a pretty skid-row looking crowd I see coming and going from the MMJ dispensaries in Colorado Springs. But just as I have come to see some usefulness in having the loser class extensively tattooing themselves so that the rest of us can easily identify them, I am becoming comfortable with the idea of them making themselves even lazier and stupider than they already are so they don't accidentally get mixed up too much with the productive part of the population.

Users are losers

Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,580,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
I'll tell you what, Wiz, it's a pretty skid-row looking crowd I see coming and going from the MMJ dispensaries in Colorado Springs. But just as I have come to see some usefulness in having the loser class extensively tattooing themselves so that the rest of us can easily identify them, I am becoming comfortable with the idea of them making themselves even lazier and stupider than they already are so they don't accidentally get mixed up too much with the productive part of the population.

Users are losers
Been a toker for 44 years now and all of my toker friends are doctors, lawyers, and otherwise successful people. If you stand outside of a bar, you'll see some drunks mixed in with the responsible drinkers. If you stand outside of a clinic, you'll see some stoners mixed in with the people who have legitimate medical needs.

You can't generalize about any particular group of people and be accurate. Doesn't matter if you're talking about stoners or truck drivers. Our last 3 presidents smoked pot. You most likely come into contact with pot smokers every day and don't even know it.

And for the record, I don't even know any lazy pot smokers. I know they're out there just like the lazy people who game the system and get all of the govt handouts they can get. I've worked for 40 years now, have managed to put three kids through school, and have well into 7 figures in retirement savings. During that time, I've smoked pot almost every day. i far prefer smoking pot to drinking alcohol, far safer & not the least bit tortuous to my body. Your delusional painting of all pot smokers is all in your head.

Like I said before, modern society just doesn't practice critical thinking anymore.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:13 AM

169 posts, read 318,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post

Users are losers
As I said earlier both sides are so dug in on this issue that compromise is terribly difficult but I ask you two sincere questions: do you drink, and do you have first-hand experience with pot, and not from thirty years ago? Please don't expound on your answers with more "loser" comments, just a simple yes or no.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:25 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,481,319 times
Thanks for the memories Mike. I laughed so hard the first time I saw this film ( #27 ), that I thought I get thrown out of the theatre. One of the best comedy films ever made IMO. The government missed their calling! They're better at comedy production than hollywood.

SoButCountry wrote:
Our last 3 presidents smoked pot.
True, but Bubba didn't inhale!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:54 AM

1,975 posts, read 2,857,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I don't see race or religion. Or sex
Your are right you can’t fire someone for those reasons, well at least you can't admit it. I don't hire petite women as I need someone who can lift #50lbs all day long.

I you can fire someone for “no reason” at all.
“We no longer require your services, your fired”
‘you don’t fit in with the crew”
“your fired here is your check.
My wife is a upper management for a large company that is world wide, she to can fire someone for “no reason”.
Yeah, this Internet thing just isn't getting it done for us. We can agree to disagree. Let me rephrase things. I'm not saying you can't technically do that. I am saying that you can place yourself at risk for lawsuits if you just fire people for no reason. It will bit you in the behind at some point. Most attorney's would tell someone wanting to file a case they have no recourse. They would look at the letter of the law. And then you have guys like this... Minnesota Attorney for Positive Drug Alcohol Test Wrongful Discharge Termination - Trepanier & MacGillis P.A. Law Firm - Minneapolis, Minnesota

Old 12-09-2011, 12:08 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,217,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Been a toker for 44 years now and all of my toker friends are doctors, lawyers, and otherwise successful people. If you stand outside of a bar, you'll see some drunks mixed in with the responsible drinkers. If you stand outside of a clinic, you'll see some stoners mixed in with the people who have legitimate medical needs.

You can't generalize about any particular group of people and be accurate. Doesn't matter if you're talking about stoners or truck drivers. Our last 3 presidents smoked pot. You most likely come into contact with pot smokers every day and don't even know it.

And for the record, I don't even know any lazy pot smokers. I know they're out there just like the lazy people who game the system and get all of the govt handouts they can get. I've worked for 40 years now, have managed to put three kids through school, and have well into 7 figures in retirement savings. During that time, I've smoked pot almost every day. i far prefer smoking pot to drinking alcohol, far safer & not the least bit tortuous to my body. Your delusional painting of all pot smokers is all in your head.

Like I said before, modern society just doesn't practice critical thinking anymore.
I absolutely agree with this. I too know many professionals who use MJ on a regular basis. They all perform their jobs well, are educated, and well respected in their professions. Not everyone who smokes pot is a lazy loser.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:41 PM

704 posts, read 1,444,448 times
Oh brother.

As to the original question: No, the vast majority of Coloradans do not smoke marjuana. Studies show that marijuana use in Colorado is, sadly, relatively high, at least compared to other states. And medical marijuana is legal so marijuana users have easier access to the drug. That said, the VAST majority of people have nothing to do with pot.

They tried legalizing recreational use of marijuana here a few years ago and it failed by a large margin. And cities and counties across the state, even more liberal communities like Fort Collins, are banning medical marijuana dispensaries.

I don't know where the people who have posted that "everyone smokes mariuana" live, but it's not where most of us live (thanks goodness). There is definitely a hyper-ethusiastic pothead subculture here, but it is a very small minority.

I hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado