U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2012, 12:59 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,189,413 times
Reputation: 9067

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
What I don't understand is that everyone is blaming Obama for not getting involved in state matters, but yet, these same people support Romney and his campaign that believes the state and private sector know what's best! I'm sure though, if he were to win this election, he would be heavily involved in the MMJ and legalization laws in those states. Talk about hypocrisy!
Yes, there are some idiots on the right-wing fringe who do not understand the function of the Federal government. The Federal government has numerous basic responsibilities, with which most educated and sensible conservatives will agree. I place Romney in the "sensible conservative" group in that regard:

*Preserving the security of the national borders and protecting the country from common foes outside the country.

*Facilitating interstate commerce.

*Regulate/tax imports and exports.

*Maintaining the basic physical and financial infrastructure necessary to facilitate the public safety and commerce.

*Conducting foreign policy.

All of that is contained with Section 8 of the US Constitution, to wit:

Quote:
Section. 8.

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
As for the regulation of marijuana, the first and third sentences of the Section 8 above give, in my opinion, clear authority to the Federal government to enact law to regulate the use and/or sale of marijuana (key phrases: "provide for . . . the common welfare of the United States", and "Regulate commerce . . . among the several states . . .").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2012, 01:52 PM
 
2,665 posts, read 2,114,559 times
Reputation: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
As for the regulation of marijuana, the first and third sentences of the Section 8 above give, in my opinion, clear authority to the Federal government to enact law to regulate the use and/or sale of marijuana (key phrases: "provide for . . . the common welfare of the United States", and "Regulate commerce . . . among the several states . . .").
Yeah? How is regulating marijuana providing for the common welfare? And if the commerce is totally intrastate, the commerce clause does not apply.

Not to mention, why did it require a constitutional amendment to ban booze, whereas marijuana merely takes congressional action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 02:03 PM
 
Location: The 719
13,747 posts, read 21,598,908 times
Reputation: 13341
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
...But that's contrary to American values. And the proof that that is contrary to American values is the fact that the Revolution was fought.

According to your values, it seems that the Revolutionaries would have went to a British court to settle their disputes and accept the ruling as ...
Woah! RED HERRING ALERT! Jazz was discussing the Civil War, not the Revolution.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
I don't need a judge to tell me that slavery is unjust. I don't need a judge to tell me that jetting mercury into ground water is unjust.
Woah! Gaslighting!

We were talking about decriminalizing marijuana at the State level, were we not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
What I don't understand is that everyone is blaming Obama for not getting involved in state matters, but yet, these same people support Romney and his campaign that believes the state and private sector know what's best! I'm sure though, if he were to win this election, he would be heavily involved in the MMJ and legalization laws in those states. Talk about hypocrisy!
Foul ball! Blame Romney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Not to mention, why did it require a constitutional amendment to ban booze, whereas marijuana merely takes congressional action?
Let me field this one Jazz, if I could;

It was the whacko and ...





... colorful as well as delusional thinking that lead to a temperance, reformist, and purist movement that brought on Prohibition. It was a bad mistake from the get-go.

There's nothing wrong with booze.

Let me repeat that.

There's nothing wrong with booze.

It's the misuse of the food/libation by some 10% to 20% of the population that lead to the problems/industry we see today.

Legalization/decriminalization of the Hippie Lettuce at the federal level would be a much more compelling argument imo.

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-06-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 02:16 PM
 
1,512 posts, read 1,532,610 times
Reputation: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Woah! RED HERRING ALERT! Jazz was discussing the Civil War, not the Revolution.
A red herring is an irrelevant argument. However, I used the Revolution to demonstrate American values, which are the fundamental question here.

By calling my argument a red herring, you're suggesting that Jazz's appeal to force reflects a truth and that I must include his false premise (government dictates right) in my argument.

Quote:
We were talking about decriminalizing marijuana at the State level, were we not?
Among other consequences, I believe so. Are you asserting a position that challenges my assertions? If so, please use statements rather than questions, so there is no confusion about your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,651 times
Reputation: 10
Exclamation use of pot?

This may be just a post from, as some people would say, a whimpey (sp?), old-fashioned person... but, I agree with you! According to the ongoing poll results (most respondants say 'yes' to pot legalization), I fall in a real minority (but then, polls can be interpreted however you want them to and are not a true representation of anything). Anyway, even tho pot is not really addicting (except to someone with an 'addictive' personality), it definitely opens the door to much darkness. People, in general, are not really aware of all the side effects, long term or short .., I have heard, from very educated, knowledgeable sources, that pot smoking effects the testosterone (sp?) cycles/levels in developing young boys, seriously and definitly effecting their sexual developement. Seriously! And, I don't know about you, but there is nothing I enjoy more than the loving, sexual closeness I have with my partner of the opposite sex! Really something I would in NO WAY EVER want to give up, or miss out on, or even think about playing around with. As far as what you indicated, I am really uncertain just how many people in CO are, in fact, pot smokers. And, the 'medical' use, and abuse, of pot is really bad. For medicinal users, use is certainly a valid option. But, for the many other users who abuse the system.., it is the old 'one bad apple spoils the whole barrel' routine. There are always those who delight in going against the law and doing what they want. I know, I was once there. But, after working extensively with youth in crisis, in trouble with the law, etc., I've seen too many cases of ruined, wasted lifes because of this misuse. Anywho, here I am, reflecting upon a serious delima in our country, everywhere as a matter of fact, hoping that God will prevail. He is in control, thank goodness! Signing off as a concerned citizen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 02:47 PM
 
1,512 posts, read 1,532,610 times
Reputation: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclem1 View Post
Anywho, here I am, reflecting upon a serious delima in our country, everywhere as a matter of fact, hoping that God will prevail. He is in control, thank goodness!
Where does God suggest that we should use the force of government against our fellow citizens when they are not directly hurting others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 02:48 PM
 
Location: The 719
13,747 posts, read 21,598,908 times
Reputation: 13341
Good points Jclem. Welcome to City-Data forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Where does God suggest ...
RED HERRING! God suggests nothing. God lets free will/nature/etc. happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 03:12 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,189,413 times
Reputation: 9067
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Yeah? How is regulating marijuana providing for the common welfare? And if the commerce is totally intrastate, the commerce clause does not apply.

Not to mention, why did it require a constitutional amendment to ban booze, whereas marijuana merely takes congressional action?
Congress chose the route of the 18th Amendment to put one more step in the process of Prohibition--requiring the states to ratify the Amendment before adoption. The prohibitions on marijuana and other illicit drugs were enacted statutorily--that was the Congress' discretion.

As to interstate commerce, anyone who thinks that marijuana procured "legally" under state law in Colorado if Amendment 64 passes will not be transported (and likely sold) interstate is a blooming idiot.

And many, many products are regulated under the Constitutional provision of "for the common welfare." In fact, most legislation that sets up regulatory authority begins with the preamble sentence, "In order to provide (promote) the common welfare, . . ."

People need to go study the nearly forgotten discipline of civics and government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 03:15 PM
 
1,512 posts, read 1,532,610 times
Reputation: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
RED HERRING! God suggests nothing. God lets free will/nature/etc. happen.
LOL. You and your red herring alarm are hilarious. The caps and exclamation make the post funnier.

I'm a Christian. For me, God suggests through the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 03:57 PM
 
Location: The 719
13,747 posts, read 21,598,908 times
Reputation: 13341
Well if that works for you, I say do it.

Happy Election Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top