Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:55 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,112,464 times

Advertisements

We even have cool high schools.

I couldn't resist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,151,482 times
It's not nice to pick on the retarded drunk guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
McGowdog wrote: People who say they are recovering aren't. I said I am recovered.

Just curious...what is it exactly that you have covered up again?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM

3,116 posts, read 5,028,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCityKid View Post
I have gotten the feeling that a lot of people in Colorado smoke pot. I feel that pot smoking has become a widely accepted activity.

I personally am against all illegal drug use. So these questions are specific to illegal pot use.
Are there a lot of pot heads in Colorado?
Are there a lot of casual pot smokers?

Regarding legal pot use...
Do you feel it is abused?

And how does this compare around the state from the small towns to the big cities?

Thanks
Back to the original question.
I guess there are a lot of pot heads since the pot for recreational use passed. But I didn't realize it before the vote. I voted against it and assumed everyone else would also.

Personally I'm against the abuse of legal and illegal drugs. I don't enjoy the company of drunks, smokers, non-stop texters, people who can't help answering their cell phone while talking to you (or while driving), drug abusers (prescription, legally available or illegal drugs) or pot heads. That being said I recognize the rights of others to do as they choose within the law. I'm happy enough to not frequent the venues that support those activities. I do wish they would make all of the above illegal while driving. I can avoid them in my own routine but not out on the open road.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:00 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,877,212 times
Congrats to Colorado from Maryland.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:38 PM

166 posts, read 432,160 times
McGowdog wrote..."If you want to smoke weed, do any mind-altering drug, abuse alcohol (hats off to folks who can control and enjoy their drinking btw!) etc., that's your business"

What about folks who can control and enjoy their MJ smoking? no hats off to them? Why the double standard with the booze?

FWIW, I haven't touched the stuff for 30 years. I have a grown up job and have to pass a pee test from time to time.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:03 PM

17,952 posts, read 27,393,132 times
You just answered your own question.

I drive at work. Sometimes a 9 speed 24 yard Brigadier, sometimes a 10 ton tandem dumper, sometimes a Cat or 5 yard Volvo.

I have a CDL. Should I smoke weed?

No. Partly because it's against the law.

Partly because my company will fire my ass if I do.

Partly because I don't want to. I've found a sufficient substitute, remember?

If you want to be a skateboarder living in your grandma's basement, light up.

Oh but don't get caught, be careful, continue to hang with scumbag dealers who can get it for you, stay away from children, and stay away from girls/guys/etc who can find a guy /gal/etc who has his/her $#!# together.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:14 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,433,024 times
Oh, now McGowdog, don't burst the potheads bubble with the nasty little truth that smoking pot may very likely preclude them from getting a decent job (whether the weed was legally obtained or not).

Examples from my area in rural Colorado, here are some of the best-paying and most plentiful jobs and if the employer will hire someone who tests positive for pot prior to hiring or will keep them on the payroll if they test positive for pot use later.

Natural gas field workers - For most reputable companies, no tolerance.

School districts - For most, no tolerance.

Coal mines - No tolerance.

Most county and local government - For most, no tolerance.

Hospitals - No tolerance.

Railroad - No tolerance (in fact, one major railroad will not even hire cigarette smokers).

Federal jobs (e.g., Forest Service) - For most, no tolerance.

Now, admittedly most of those places may have pot-using employees who slip through the cracks because the employee can "fake" the test, or because the employers don't test as frequently as they should. My prediction is that, if the legalization actually goes into effect, there will be more drug testing by employers and more employers who place a specific prohibition on hiring or retaining employees who use pot. That is perfectly within those employers' right to do and I'm sure that they will do it.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:33 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,819,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Oh, now McGowdog, don't burst the potheads bubble with the nasty little truth that smoking pot may very likely preclude them from getting a decent job (whether the weed was legally obtained or not).

Examples from my area in rural Colorado, here are some of the best-paying and most plentiful jobs and if the employer will hire someone who tests positive for pot prior to hiring or will keep them on the payroll if they test positive for pot use later.

Natural gas field workers - For most reputable companies, no tolerance.

School districts - For most, no tolerance.

Coal mines - No tolerance.

Most county and local government - For most, no tolerance.

Hospitals - No tolerance.

Railroad - No tolerance (in fact, one major railroad will not even hire cigarette smokers).

Federal jobs (e.g., Forest Service) - For most, no tolerance.

Now, admittedly most of those places may have pot-using employees who slip through the cracks because the employee can "fake" the test, or because the employers don't test as frequently as they should. My prediction is that, if the legalization actually goes into effect, there will be more drug testing by employers and more employers who place a specific prohibition on hiring or retaining employees who use pot. That is perfectly within those employers' right to do and I'm sure that they will do it.
Institutionalized tyranny. Do they tolerate drinking on the job?

Old 11-08-2012, 04:33 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,423,473 times
Jazz,

There are some jobs where it will be impossible to smoke pot at the same time there are a lot of good paying jobs that are ok with it as long as you smoke pot on your own hours, much like drinking. Someone will just have to decide what is important in his or her life and every choice has consequences. However now that it is legal in Colorado there is one less consequence the person has to worry about.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:39 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,433,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Institutionalized tyranny. Do they tolerate drinking on the job?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado