U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2011, 12:24 PM
 
20,313 posts, read 37,815,914 times
Reputation: 18102

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I absolutely agree with this. .... Not everyone who smokes pot is a lazy loser.
True! And though most adults do drink alcohol, not all of us who drink are living under a bridge....
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
2,221 posts, read 4,653,541 times
Reputation: 1682
Funny, but I don't see a stream of well-dressed professionals coming/going from several MMJ businesses that are situated near other businesses I patronize (an electronics store and a music store to be specific). The clientele is NOT the responsible professional crowd some here would suggest. They're mostly tattooed, raggedy dirty-looking street people.

And I also note that the majority of the MMJ businesses in Colorado Springs are located in areas well-populated with other businesses that cater to the loser class...pawn shops, liquor stores, tattoo parlors, payday loan sharks etc.

As a retired cop told me yesterday..."I can count the number of felony arrests I've made where the subject did NOT have a dope pipe in his/her pocket on two hands."

The people I know who smoke pot regularly are all, to a person, fairly characterized as lazy losers. That sample group is large enough for me to draw a more generalized conclusion, despite the protests of those that would try to have us believe that routine pot usage among the hard-working and successful is commonplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 02:59 PM
 
1,051 posts, read 1,576,702 times
Reputation: 1883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Funny, but I don't see a stream of well-dressed professionals coming/going from several MMJ businesses that are situated near other businesses I patronize (an electronics store and a music store to be specific). The clientele is NOT the responsible professional crowd some here would suggest. They're mostly tattooed, raggedy dirty-looking street people.

And I also note that the majority of the MMJ businesses in Colorado Springs are located in areas well-populated with other businesses that cater to the loser class...pawn shops, liquor stores, tattoo parlors, payday loan sharks etc.

As a retired cop told me yesterday..."I can count the number of felony arrests I've made where the subject did NOT have a dope pipe in his/her pocket on two hands."

The people I know who smoke pot regularly are all, to a person, fairly characterized as lazy losers. That sample group is large enough for me to draw a more generalized conclusion, despite the protests of those that would try to have us believe that routine pot usage among the hard-working and successful is commonplace.
LOL, well to do tokers don't have a need to go to a clinic. They have suppliers who can provide high quality weed for them discreetly. I don't have to try to convince anybody of the the existence of a higher class of smoker than you would believe exists. It's a fact, they simply do. You don't know of them because they maintain a low profile, just as I do. You must think that all marijuana in existence is sold at these clinics.... and again you would be wrong. I've never had to go to a clinic for pot. I have contacts and suppliers who can fulfill my needs without calling attention to me or themselves. That's called "discretion". Why would a doctor, lawyer, or any other professional call public attention to the fact that they consume....only to be ridiculed by those with narrow minds.

Somehow I don't think that the people here are the stereotypical stoners that you seem to think all tokens are: The 10 Most Successful Potheads on the Planet… Cool Enough to Admit It : COED Magazine

In a few more years, I'll be retiring and building a lovely new house on the western slope with gorgeous San Juan views. I'll relax on my porch and enjoy some fine cannabis and a glass of red wine while taking in the views & fresh air. I'll be mortgage free and still have a six figure income in my retirement. So you just go on believing that what you see near your electronics store & music store represents all who enjoy pot. Your world must be very small indeed. There are currently 30 million regular pot smokers in the US. The brush you paint them all with must be very wide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 03:44 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
Reputation: 9066
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
LOL, well to do tokers don't have a need to go to a clinic. They have suppliers who can provide high quality weed for them discreetly. I don't have to try to convince anybody of the the existence of a higher class of smoker than you would believe exists. It's a fact, they simply do. You don't know of them because they maintain a low profile, just as I do. You must think that all marijuana in existence is sold at these clinics.... and again you would be wrong. I've never had to go to a clinic for pot. I have contacts and suppliers who can fulfill my needs without calling attention to me or themselves. That's called "discretion". Why would a doctor, lawyer, or any other professional call public attention to the fact that they consume....only to be ridiculed by those with narrow minds.

Somehow I don't think that the people here are the stereotypical stoners that you seem to think all tokens are: The 10 Most Successful Potheads on the Planet… Cool Enough to Admit It : COED Magazine

In a few more years, I'll be retiring and building a lovely new house on the western slope with gorgeous San Juan views. I'll relax on my porch and enjoy some fine cannabis and a glass of red wine while taking in the views & fresh air. I'll be mortgage free and still have a six figure income in my retirement. So you just go on believing that what you see near your electronics store & music store represents all who enjoy pot. Your world must be very small indeed. There are currently 30 million regular pot smokers in the US. The brush you paint them all with must be very wide.
And supporting criminals, gangsters, and Mexican drug lords. If you think that those sleazeballs are are not involved in the growing, transporting, and selling of marijuana, then your head is so far up that you will never be able to see that Colorado sunshine. Unfortunately, those of us who do not use illicit drugs get to put up with all the criminal activity and violence perpetrated by the criminals who produce, transport, and sell the stuff. And they would be out of business were it not for their stupid-ass customers like you who support them. You are a criminal when you purchase and use illicit drugs, whether you make a six-figure income or not, and whether or not you get caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Prague
1,975 posts, read 2,851,542 times
Reputation: 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
And supporting criminals, gangsters, and Mexican drug lords. If you think that those sleazeballs are are not involved in the growing, transporting, and selling of marijuana, then your head is so far up that you will never be able to see that Colorado sunshine. Unfortunately, those of us who do not use illicit drugs get to put up with all the criminal activity and violence perpetrated by the criminals who produce, transport, and sell the stuff. And they would be out of business were it not for their stupid-ass customers like you who support them. You are a criminal when you purchase and use illicit drugs, whether you make a six-figure income or not, and whether or not you get caught.
Yeah, the Mexican drug cartels are as violent as they come. They do some horrific things. Supporting their industry isn't much different than sending paychecks to a terror group. Why someone would not go to a clinic and instead choose to put money in the pockets of cold-blooded killers is a mystery to me.

For all intents and purposes, medical pot IS legalization. I dare say that no adult will be denied a prescription at those clinics. If all you have to do is say you have anxiety, what is there to deny? That being said, why would anyone not get it through quasi-legal means (quasi because it still goes against federal law) and instead support brutal murderers? Isn't that one of their main arguments for legalization? Reduce crime, put the cartels out of business (not likely though...crack, coke, etc)? So even when a legal avenue exists, people still choose to support the criminals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Durango, CO
169 posts, read 318,351 times
Reputation: 257
Using the term "illegal" in an attempt to condemn those of us who are on board with MMJ is childish. You have no desire to discuss issues, only to force your opinion on others. "Illegal", in this case, ONLY means that many, many, moons ago someone outlawed weed, but that doesn't mean it will always be so. Fortunately, "illegal" doesn't have to mean forever, otherwise Rosa Parks would still be sitting on the back of the bus. "Illegal" is just a matter of degree, and wrongs usually get righted in time, unless one doesn't have the backbone or the intelligence to question authority.
I also got a chuckle from those commenting on the cartels, etc. It's because of knuckleheads that want weed outlawed that we are forced to buy from the very sources you decry. Your unwillingness, or inability to understand the issues, is the very reason we have cartels: YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. Btw, I have my MMJ card so I'm good .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
Reputation: 9066
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
Using the term "illegal" in an attempt to condemn those of us who are on board with MMJ is childish. You have no desire to discuss issues, only to force your opinion on others. "Illegal", in this case, ONLY means that many, many, moons ago someone outlawed weed, but that doesn't mean it will always be so. Fortunately, "illegal" doesn't have to mean forever, otherwise Rosa Parks would still be sitting on the back of the bus. "Illegal" is just a matter of degree, and wrongs usually get righted in time, unless one doesn't have the backbone or the intelligence to question authority.
I also got a chuckle from those commenting on the cartels, etc. It's because of knuckleheads that want weed outlawed that we are forced to buy from the very sources you decry. Your unwillingness, or inability to understand the issues, is the very reason we have cartels: YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. Btw, I have my MMJ card so I'm good .
You forget one salient fact: Marijuana is still illegal under Federal law--whether you agree with that or not. Under the Supremacy Clause, the Federal government can crush the medical marijuana industry in Colorado or anywhere else in the United States at any point it chooses to do so.

As for medical marijuana, here is my take: THC is the active ingredient in marijuana. For those who need its effects for legitimate medical purposes, make THC a prescription drug manufactured under the same rigorous testing, distribution, and sales regulations that other prescription pharmaceuticals are. That would make sense. Of course, it wouldn't make the "poser" potheads happy who game the medical marijuana laws so they can get high. If we listen to those idiots, maybe we should just let a bunch of amateurs with little regulation or oversight brew up morphine for "medicinal" use, too.

By the way, I think it's telling that the average age of people getting marijuana cards in Colorado because they suffer from "chronic pain" has dropped to about 24 years old. Either they are lying (fancy that) about what they are using marijuana to "treat" or they are a bunch of complete wusses about what "chronic pain" is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Durango, CO
169 posts, read 318,351 times
Reputation: 257
[quote=jazzlover;22057197]You forget one salient fact: Marijuana is still illegal under Federal law--
I didn't forget anything, I just find it retarded.

Under the Supremacy Clause, the Federal government can crush the medical marijuana industry in Colorado or anywhere else in the United States at any point it chooses to do so.
Hmmm, telling that they don't, wouldn't you say? Face it, the laws are about to change and then what will you have to say when it's no longer illegal? Oh, that's right, as soon as something becomes legal it's no longer wrong---my bad.

Of course, it wouldn't make the "poser" potheads happy who game the medical marijuana laws so they can get high. If we listen to those idiots, maybe we should just let a bunch of amateurs with little regulation or oversight brew up morphine for "medicinal" use, too.
Why are "they", idiots? And what's a "poser" pothead? I've never heard that ridiculous term used. Again, the only reason they bother to "game" the system is because people like you force them underground, but that's all changing. Your game of throwing insulting names around is so tiresome.

By the way, I think it's telling that the average age of people getting marijuana cards in Colorado because they suffer from "chronic pain" has dropped to about 24 years old. Either they are lying (fancy that) about what they are using marijuana to "treat" or they are a bunch of complete wusses about what "chronic pain" is.
Forgive me, those of you who are indeed in pain, but I happen to agree with you: most probably don't have chronic, or any, pain, at all: they're just doing whatever necessary to get high...DUH. Great detective skills, Officer Obvious. Btw, I knew you'd find a way to get an attack in on those meddling kids, so, .

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-10-2011 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 10:34 PM
 
1,051 posts, read 1,576,702 times
Reputation: 1883
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
And supporting criminals, gangsters, and Mexican drug lords. If you think that those sleazeballs are are not involved in the growing, transporting, and selling of marijuana, then your head is so far up that you will never be able to see that Colorado sunshine. Unfortunately, those of us who do not use illicit drugs get to put up with all the criminal activity and violence perpetrated by the criminals who produce, transport, and sell the stuff. And they would be out of business were it not for their stupid-ass customers like you who support them. You are a criminal when you purchase and use illicit drugs, whether you make a six-figure income or not, and whether or not you get caught.
The only reason gangsters & criminals get involved is because of the tremendous profits generated by the "prohibited" substance. If tobacco was illegal, the government would be fighting tobacco cartels. Obviously nothing was learned from the prohibition of alcohol which gave rise to organized crime in the US. I am a criminal because the government has declared that they decide what I put in my body. 44 years now and still tokin' and proud of it.

Zero body count compared to alcohol and tobacco and 800,000 citizens arrested every year has made the US the most highly imprisoned country in the world. The US has 5% of the world's population and 25% of the world's prisoners. Really something to be proud of, isn't it? The private prison industry lobbies for more prisons & tougher laws so that more otherwise law abiding citizens can be imprisoned, more college aged kids can have their lives ruined. It's a disgrace when the laws against the substance cause more harm than the substance itself. You obviously support the policies responsible for this shame.

Your moralizing does nothing to change the fact that I'm an otherwise law abiding citizen who pays ten of thousands of dollars in taxes every year, and I obtain my pot from a source who grows it themselves, locally. 60% of the pot consumed in the US is grown indoors, in the US, by private citizens, not by cartels. Like it or not, the government is responsible for the cartels. Their prohibition policies created them by making this benign substance... this weed of all things as valuable as gold. You know nothing about this issue besides what the government tells you and you swallow it whole. Get your head out of your a$$ and look at the facts instead of the propaganda. Think critically about this issue and understand what 70 years and hundreds of billions of dollars spent on the war on drugs has done. It has done nothing to reduce use which is as high as it's ever been & growing, filled our prisons, and ruined hundreds of thousands of lives. Yes... really something to be proud of. I generally respect your opinions Jazzlover but you're doing nothing but spouting moral judgements here. Unfortunately, they're simply not based in fact but in stereotypes & prejudice.

Whether you believe it or not, there are millions of tokers out there just like me. White, educated professionals who enjoy fine cannabis much as we enjoy fine wine. Tough if you don't like it, but then you don't understand it either because you're blinded by your moral judgements of us.

Change is coming whether you like it or not. A recent Gallup poll showed 51% of Americans in favor of legalizing recreational pot and 70%+ in favor of medical pot. The generations are changing and the coming generations don't buy the government propaganda as you so willingly do.

Just remember that as is the case with alcohol prohibition, those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Like it or not, this genie can't be put back in the bottle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
2,221 posts, read 4,653,541 times
Reputation: 1682
We've currently got a US Attorney General that won't do his job. That's the only thing I find "telling" about the Feds not enforcing the federal marijuana laws at the moment. Jazz is correct that they can start federal enforcement at any time they want...and I suspect that when Eric Holder and his even more worthless boss eventually get evicted from their offices, things could change around here...and rapidly. I would be gut-laughing for a month if the database of Colorado MMJ card holders were appropriated by the Feds and used to round up the local potheads.

I would think some enterprising group setting up surveillance cameras on the public thoroughfares that approach the MMJ dispensaries would be an interesting development, too. I wonder how many of the clients would be comfy knowing their pictures are being taken going into those places for future posterity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top