U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2011, 10:43 PM
 
24,696 posts, read 26,777,106 times
Reputation: 22704

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCityKid View Post
I personally don't like to be around high people, I feel they act funny and it just makes me uncomfortable. I enjoy drinking but i hate being drunk and I hate being around drunks. I just generally love my mindset the way it is and prefer not to alter it too much.
Why do people smoke so much? It seems like a religion to some people.
I just feel that sitting on a mountain and breathing in the fresh air is the greatest high there is.
I'm with 'ya. Personally, I don't care what people do, as long as they don't smoke that crap around me. I get really mad when people smoke it openly on the street. I don't want to inhale that crap. It's also not appropriate to smoke it openly on the street (as is also the case with drinking alcohol openly on the street).

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-09-2011 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2011, 10:50 PM
 
24,696 posts, read 26,777,106 times
Reputation: 22704
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
gosh you seem boring to be around
I think it's sad that so many people think they need drugs to be "interesting" or to enjoy life. That kind of thinking is one of the indicators of a substance abuse problem, as well as an indicator of emotional problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 PM
 
24,696 posts, read 26,777,106 times
Reputation: 22704
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
1. You can fire a person on the spot for any reason or for no reason, in every state.
This is completely untrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 10:57 PM
 
1,051 posts, read 1,575,345 times
Reputation: 1883
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You forget one salient fact: Marijuana is still illegal under Federal law--whether you agree with that or not. Under the Supremacy Clause, the Federal government can crush the medical marijuana industry in Colorado or anywhere else in the United States at any point it chooses to do so.
Ah but the feds choose not to do so in Colorado as they have done in California because unlike California, Colorado regulates the MMJ industry so the feds continue to be hands off here. Colorado has done an exemplary job and I expect that in the near future, full regulation of recreational cannabis will be a reality.

Quote:
As for medical marijuana, here is my take: THC is the active ingredient in marijuana. For those who need its effects for legitimate medical purposes, make THC a prescription drug manufactured under the same rigorous testing, distribution, and sales regulations that other prescription pharmaceuticals are. That would make sense. Of course, it wouldn't make the "poser" potheads happy who game the medical marijuana laws so they can get high. If we listen to those idiots, maybe we should just let a bunch of amateurs with little regulation or oversight brew up morphine for "medicinal" use, too.
Come on Jazzlover, once again, you spout the government propaganda but little in the way of facts. Smoked marijuana contains thousands of substances called cannabinoids in addition to THC that are responsible for many of the medicinal properties. THC in prescription form (which has existed for years... trade name Marinol) does not and cannot contain these substances because they are unable to transform them into a pill, lozenge, or any other non-smokable form. Marinol is not only not as effective as smoked cannabis but it costs thousands of dollars every year for a prescription. Far more than smoked or vaporized cannabis. Cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy and combatting constant nausea are unable to keep pills down. Smoked or vaporized cannabis is far more effective. In addition, Marinol turns them into zombies for hours on end leaving them unable to function day to day, unlike smoked or vaporized cannabis. Oh, and your straw man argument on morphine is laughable at best... really? What does morphine have to do with anything we're discussing here?

Quote:
By the way, I think it's telling that the average age of people getting marijuana cards in Colorado because they suffer from "chronic pain" has dropped to about 24 years old. Either they are lying (fancy that) about what they are using marijuana to "treat" or they are a bunch of complete wusses about what "chronic pain" is.
Well imagine that.... when you take a benign substance that is in high demand, is prohibited, priced like gold, and make it possible to obtain for medical use, people might actually lie to obtain it! Who would ever have thought that this could happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 PM
 
2,665 posts, read 2,104,034 times
Reputation: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
And supporting criminals, gangsters, and Mexican drug lords. If you think that those sleazeballs are are not involved in the growing, transporting, and selling of marijuana, then your head is so far up that you will never be able to see that Colorado sunshine.
That's true, to a certain extent.

Unfortunately for your argument, that's caused by the law banning the substances, not the substances themselves. Were they legal, and grown, distributed, and sold by legitimate business, that would disappear overnight.

Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it. This aspect is a large part of the reason prohibition was repealed. Then, as now, the "cure" is worse than the "disease".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 PM
 
2,665 posts, read 2,104,034 times
Reputation: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You forget one salient fact: Marijuana is still illegal under Federal law--whether you agree with that or not. Under the Supremacy Clause, the Federal government can crush the medical marijuana industry in Colorado or anywhere else in the United States at any point it chooses to do so.
That may have been true a week ago, but this past week SCOTUS refused to take a lower court case ruling the opposite, thus affirming the case by refusing to act. It found under the 10th Amendment that States rules can and do override Federal rules, to the extent that a Federal agent attempting to arrest people for federal violations that were in compliance with state laws are themselves subject to arrest and prosecution. It hasn't garnered much publicity that I've seen, but it nonetheless happened and has far reaching and broad implications, even if said implications have yet to play out.

Quote:
Of course, it wouldn't make the "poser" potheads happy who game the medical marijuana laws so they can get high. If we listen to those idiots, maybe we should just let a bunch of amateurs with little regulation or oversight brew up morphine for "medicinal" use, too.
Why do you find getting high simply for pleasure so harmful that it ought be banned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Silverthorne, Colorado
884 posts, read 1,463,087 times
Reputation: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think it's sad that so many people think they need drugs to be "interesting" or to enjoy life. That kind of thinking is one of the indicators of a substance abuse problem, as well as an indicator of emotional problems.
I agree, but I mainly only feel that way about alcohol. As a college student, I don't see why people feel the need to drink all the time, just to get wasted and do stupid things. I mean, being in Boulder - we have mountains and huge rock walls to climb right outside, and yet I seem to be one of the few my age who actually enjoy the outdoors and take advantage of it as a means of having fun in life. Oh well, more fresh air for me then. Fortunately I've actually met some others that share the same interest and are always up for a hike.

A little of the same with the weed smokers, but smoking weed just relaxes a person, it doesn't make them do stupid things. And I'd MUCH rather smell weed smoke than cigarette smoke... Weed smoke actually smells kind of good (my opinion), and cigarette smoke just chokes me. I can't believe cigarettes are legal and marijuana isn't. It should be the other way around! Would I ever try it? Meh.

But yes, there are so many other ways to be a "not boring" person... Hell, we live in Colorado, there's unlimited things to do, just go outside. As for the person who said "boring to be around"... I think sitting on a couch doing nothing would be rather boring, compared to hauling yourself to the top of a 14,000 foot mountain on a sunny morning/day. Give me the mountain any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 12:48 AM
 
Location: The 719
13,627 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Reputation: 13279
I've been dreading this thread... but it just won't seem to go away. Why it's in the Colorado subforum is beyond me. But here it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCityKid View Post
I personally am against all illegal drug use.
I personally could care less about illegal drug use. It doesn't affect me anymore. When I worked for my brother installing floors across the US and border town Mexico and Canada, I had to work with knuckleheaded tradesman who used to pocket that crap and take it through airports just so they'd have some on the other side because they "work better" when they have access to the crap.

I wouldn't normally care if they poked their smot or not... but I had to room with these idiots and work with them and travel with them.

They risked their own safety and they sure as #### risked mine without any remorse.

And oh, my brother smoked the stuff too... so he didn't care much about my complaints of having to deal with these knuckleheads... so long as they didn't get busted. One actually did get busted and had to leave the job site. They just brought in another installer who didn't smoke the stuff. This was in Mexico too... but they dealt with ordinance stuff and he shouldn't have even been smoking cigarettes out there... but he did both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCityKid View Post
Regarding legal pot use...
Do you feel it is abused?
I don't give it much thought. I'm concerned with the abuse and misuse of alcohol moreso than weed. Isn't weed what you do to keep from getting in trouble with booze?

I agree with others in here who think it's idiocy to label this drug a schedule I. I am sober one month shy of 8 years now. Because I don't drink booze, I sure don't poke no smot. Nor do I snort nor smoke coke, crack, meth, etc. I don't abuse pills. I don't smoke cigarettes, nor do I chew Cope. I drink a few cups of coffee a day.

Because I am sober from booze, I have an interest in sobriety... for those few of us who not only have an issue with booze, but the even fewer of us who want and need to do something about it.

I could care less about those folks who can drink ... or even take drugs... successfully. We who are sober on my path could care less about alcohol reform, temperance, etc.

There's a criminal element to marijuana and other drugs that is a fact. Because of this fact, if you use drugs and someone gets ripped off, raped, killed, etc. so you can poke some smot, that sickens me. But... whateryagonna do? Vote. I'm not so sure our government isn't to blame in all this garbage. But I can do my part. Don't smoke the ####.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCityKid View Post
I just feel that sitting on a mountain and breathing in the fresh air is the greatest high there is.
I have an even better high. It's getting my own house in order to where I don't have to be on a mountain top being holier than thou to get my kicks. I can be at work, at home, in traffic, in the grocery store checkout, etc., and you knuckleheads can be doing your thing and I can be totally free. I can enjoy life regardless of all the other stuff going on in the world.

Since I stopped working for my brother, I don't see anybody smoking weed, don't smell it, don't even hear about it.

In my opinion, it's nothing like it was in the 70s and 80s and even the 90s. But, I don't hang out in bars anymore either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCityKid View Post
Thanks
You're welcome.

There was a time when I liked to smoke the stuff. I used the stuff on many occasions in my late teens and early 20s to control my alcohol use. I used to like the really good stuff, like Humboldt County Skunk. It was very expensive, but you would only need a couple of hits to get baked for an hour or two... easier on the lungs.

The reason I don't smoke the stuff now besides it being illegal and it putting me in a position to have to hang out with losers who deal it and because it leads to lethargy and munchies and a messed up concept of time, is that I have a spiritual high that I can tap into. The use of weed would not only blow that to heck, but it would become a chronic habit that's hard to break... despite what "they" say.

You get high on weed and it takes you to a state of consciousness that is quite "high". But it's a borrowed or stolen experience and it's not long lasting. When you body fights the invasion, you come crashing down and you're left with the state of consciousness which is "stoned". Then the next time you smoke the stuff, you get not so "high" and a longer comedown or "stoned". This condition gets worse and worse, never better, and before you know it, you don't know why you still smoke the garbage, but you also find it hard to quit.

That's my experience anyway.

Now, medical marijuana... like you say, another thread for another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 AM
 
Location: Colorado
2,561 posts, read 4,867,738 times
Reputation: 2219
The most educated, physically fit and rather affluent city in the state has by far the largest concentration of marijuana users..Ok i'll say it now before someone beats me to it. "Oh the Irony!" I am not saying weed is harmless by any means but this exaggerated call to arms movement against the drug by a very small misinformed minority of this state is just simply archaic. I no longer smoke myself because those last two brain cells are in full competion with one another but don't think for a second one can quickly spot the potheads. I'll show you a few friends of mine who look like they just got done shooting a J Crew advertisement that have wake and baked for years while holding down postions of prestige.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 02:29 AM
 
Location: Hemet CA
2 posts, read 2,879 times
Reputation: 11
I really do not know if smoking Pot is a horrible thing are not. My son in California does but it helps him because he is chemically imbalance as it is. For the last year or so the government has been trying to make it legal but the law has not been pasted but yet it is still fine to get a medical card for it. Personally, they should just put into law like a cigarettes so that it would not be so bad and the teenagers will get bored with it and move on to another thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top