U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,575,215 times

Advertisements

While I do agree with what you have been posting.
and I have been involved in a court case that involved many of the same case arguments that are involved in this case and I won.
It is not always a slam dunk for ether side.
While we can not fire for just any reason age/sex/ religion the catch is I/we donít need a reason.

Your services are no longer required, we will be letting you go immediately.
Why?
Becuse "Your services are no longer required"
You just got fired for no reason or for some unknown reason.
You still just got fired.

Under the employment-at-will doctrine, an employer can generally fire an employee for any reason or for no reason at all. However, there are some things that an employer can't fire an employee for. Employers cannot fire employees for reasons that would violate anti-discrimination laws. (For more information on employment discrimination laws read the article, "Employment Discrimination Laws You Should Be Aware Of".)
Can An Employer Legally Fire You Without a Reason?
Yes, it is legal.
You were an "at will" employee, which meant you could be left go, at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all.

*****by Bob Egelko, San Francisco Chronicle
January 24th, 2008
An employee who uses medical marijuana at home can be fired for testing positive for the drug at work, the California Supreme Court ruled today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is completely untrue.
Smoke all the weed you wish.
Legal or not it still caries consequences.

Colorado has no more of a drug problem than any other state.

Last edited by snofarmer; 12-10-2011 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 03:40 PM

40 posts, read 86,964 times
Fifteen reasons why young people are moving to Colorado

"3. Thanksgiving is affectionately dubbed "Danksgiving," thanks to the dozens of dispensaries that represent this city's major growth industry."

This is number 3!
really young people? I think you'd enjoy California more.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,504,006 times
At no time in my life have I ever consumed alot of alcohol or smoked alot of pot, but I have used both substances. A few years ago I ended a 30 year period of abstinence from both substances. Now I enjoy drinking a bottle of beer after work and having an ocassional toke. The past few years have taught me that completee abstinence is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated. Life is too short of deprive oneself of these simple pleasures. But if abstinence is your choice then so be it. Based solely on my personal experience, I think you are needlessly depriving yourself. But it's your life to live as you choose. So pat yourself on the back and stop wasting your time and energy telling anyone else how to live their life.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:39 PM

13,749 posts, read 21,602,767 times
In my program of abstinence over booze, I've been taught to not come off as a "temperance" person or a "reformer", and how "alcoholics won't stand for it".

While I don't speak for all recovering and recovered alcoholics out there, I do tip my hat to hard drinkers, teetotallers, moderate drinkers, social drinkers, etc. I speak for me. If you knew how I reacted to the consumption of alcohol more times than not, you might not offer that Fat Tire to me and may consider offering me a glass of water or a cup of coffee. But it wouldn't matter either way. If you offered me the beer, I'd thank you and reach for the coffee pot or the water jug.

I wish weed was legal in this country and let the chips fall where they may. I wouldn't smoke the stuff now because I no longer need it to feel better. My state of consciousness is what it is at any given time and if I get up and break ground to do something in my path that needs done, the mere accomplishment of the task and the creativity along the way is all the buzz I need. But that's me.

If some knucklehead is being a bad drunk or blowing bonghit after bonghit into the room, I'll step aside and go someplace else.

I preface any altruistic work with the troubled alcoholic with the initial questions, "So, do you think you have a problem with booze?", and "That being so, do you want to do something about it?" If I get a "no" there or a smartassed answer, I step back and say, "Wow, how about this weather?"

Old 12-12-2011, 03:32 PM

2,561 posts, read 4,887,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
In my program of abstinence over booze, I've been taught to not come off as a "temperance" person or a "reformer", and how "alcoholics won't stand for it".

While I don't speak for all recovering and recovered alcoholics out there, I do tip my hat to hard drinkers, teetotallers, moderate drinkers, social drinkers, etc. I speak for me. If you knew how I reacted to the consumption of alcohol more times than not, you might not offer that Fat Tire to me and may consider offering me a glass of water or a cup of coffee. But it wouldn't matter either way. If you offered me the beer, I'd thank you and reach for the coffee pot or the water jug.

I wish weed was legal in this country and let the chips fall where they may. I wouldn't smoke the stuff now because I no longer need it to feel better. My state of consciousness is what it is at any given time and if I get up and break ground to do something in my path that needs done, the mere accomplishment of the task and the creativity along the way is all the buzz I need. But that's me.

If some knucklehead is being a bad drunk or blowing bonghit after bonghit into the room, I'll step aside and go someplace else.

I preface any altruistic work with the troubled alcoholic with the initial questions, "So, do you think you have a problem with booze?", and "That being so, do you want to do something about it?" If I get a "no" there or a smartassed answer, I step back and say, "Wow, how about this weather?"
Excellent Post While I am just starting the road of recovery you have been on for a very sigificant time; I feel pretty much the same way.I have absolutely no issue with those who smoke cannibis or enjoy their spirits. I have just recently accepted the fact that using MJ for someone with my past is a very slippery slope and is not true sobriety for me. All that said... legalize it! MMJ in most cases imo is just a huge dog and pony show.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:10 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,193,673 times
Know what?--I don't need to smoke pot or use any other illegal drug to feel good, or to feel good about myself, or to "be cool." I do have a alcoholic beverage on occasion, but I can go months without that and not miss it. If alcohol was illegal, no sweat to me--I don't need alcohol to be happy.

I've also worked in jobs that any use of a federally illegal drug (including marijuana) would disqualify a person for hire, or lead to immediate termination if a drug test was positive. So, all you druggies out there can toke up all you want--it's nice to know that you won't be competing with me for a job in my professions.

As for the "there are successful people who use illegal drugs"--that's absolutely true. Wonderful artists, musicians, etc., for sure. One has to wonder how much MORE successful many of them might have been (or how much longer that they might have lived) had they not used drugs.

I do also think it interesting that potheads continually state that marijuana smoking is not harmful when study after study shows the marijuana smoking can cause chronic emphysema just like cigarette smoking can. Watching someone die from emphysema is about as horrific as it gets, whether it's from tobacco, or "safe" marijuana.

One final note: alcohol prohibition failed for the same reason that today's drug war is failing--there was insufficient political will to bust and incarcerate the users. If illicit drug users were subject to 3-5 years in the correction system (maybe making small rocks out of big rocks), there wouldn't be very many illicit drug users. Nor would the prisons be full--word gets around in society pretty fast that "quality" time in the penal system is not a fun way to spend part of one's life. Deterrence works. For drug dealers, life without parole, or--better yet--the death penalty, would do plenty to overcome the lust for profit that dominates today's drug distribution system.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,583,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
One final note: alcohol prohibition failed for the same reason that today's drug war is failing--there was insufficient political will to bust and incarcerate the users.
Mmmmmm.... incorrect. The Volstead Act did not outlaw anybody drinking alcohol.... it outlawed the "sale & manufacture" of alcohol. Drinkers weren't at risk of arrest in any way. However, many prohibitionists were not happy about that and proposed punishments for drinkers since they would not obey the unjust law:

Prohibitionists often advocated strong measures against those who did not comply with Prohibition. One suggested that the government distribute poisoned alcohol beverages through bootleggers (sellers of illegal alcohol) and acknowledged that several hundred thousand Americans would die as a result, but thought the cost well worth the enforcement of Prohibition. Others suggested that those who drank should be:
-hung by the tongue beneath an airplane and flown over the country
-exiled to concentration camps in the Aleutian Islands
-excluded from any and all churches
-forbidden to marry
-tortured
-branded
-whipped
-sterilized
-tattooed
-placed in bottle-shaped cages in public squares
-forced to swallow two ounces of caster oil
-executed, as well as their progeny to the fourth generation. v

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
If illicit drug users were subject to 3-5 years in the correction system (maybe making small rocks out of big rocks), there wouldn't be very many illicit drug users. Nor would the prisons be full--word gets around in society pretty fast that "quality" time in the penal system is not a fun way to spend part of one's life. Deterrence works. For drug dealers, life without parole, or--better yet--the death penalty, would do plenty to overcome the lust for profit that dominates today's drug distribution system.
You really do put the "C" in Curmudgeon.... don't you Jazzlover? Given the fact that 800,000+ people are currently arrested every year on marijuana offenses, I don't see how what you propose is any different. It still doesn't work and it costs us on the order of $80B a year. Deterrence does not work, 74 years of history is proof.

Throughout history, the prohibition of any mind altering substance has never been successful and has done nothing more than create black markets & foster disrespect for the law. It never ceases to amaze me how some people never learn from history. It has been said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over and expecting different results.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 PM

13,749 posts, read 21,602,767 times
Easy on Jazz here as I believe this topic to be just a tad below his pay grade. Now ask him about jazz music, the energy industry, or the weather... and you'll get another perspective.

Jazz says that he doesn't need drugs nor booze to feel better. He's got a system that works for him and he wants to let us know that he's a hellofa guy. Nothing wrong with that.

But why do Jazz and others think that anybody would risk their freedoms and life to do drugs? Because it feels bad? To punish themselves? I think not. Men and women drink alcohol primarily because they like the effects produced by alcohol. Don't believe this? Go to the store and look for the 30 packs of Dr. PEPPER.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:23 PM

208 posts, read 346,083 times
There is plenty "will to bust and incarcerate users". It's called keeping your job, if you are in the law enforcement industry. Police forces get federal dollars when they bust drug runners, just like DUI task forces are all federally funded and awarded prize money for everyone they convict.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:02 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,632,290 times
99% of the time, it's not my business what someone else puts in their body. That's between them and their body. So long as they aren't engaging in behavior that is going to negatively affect me, why should I care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado