U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:41 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,627,946 times

Advertisements

In Europe even kids have wine with their dinner. In Germany beer is available in vending machines at many manufacturing facilities. It's part of their culture.
I think pot has and is becoming more mainstream and part our culture (using the term lightly).
A friend's mother (72 yrs) with 2 autoimmune disorders started taking edible MMJ last year.
She has demonstrated marked functional improvement when I last saw her.
It works for her and her daughter is pleased with her quality of life RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 02:06 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,494,281 times
I magine that even the most vehement anti-MJ posters on this thread would change their tune very quickly IF they ever received a diagnosis of a painful disease that MJ is know to provide pain relief for.

But then again...maybe not. Some of these guys seem like the type of people who would rather just suffer or drug out on an expensive and toxic pharmaceutical than do anything that might put them into the loser category they have created in their minds. Why trust God and/or nature when you can get the real thing from a man made pharmaceutical. The insurance company will even pay for it and make everybody elses premium a little bit higher.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:22 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,661,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I magine that even the most vehement anti-MJ posters on this thread would change their tune very quickly IF they ever received a diagnosis of a painful disease that MJ is know to provide pain relief for.
That's a red-herring bullsh*t argument, Wiz.

Oh yeah, there's a literal epidemic of chronic and otherwise untreatable painful disease among 20-somethings here in Colorado Springs that justifies all those MMJ cards. Right.

Fact is, there have been medical-grade THC drugs like Cannabinol available for over ten years, and they're RARELY prescribed, because there are almost always better drug options for those with a real medical problem (other than addiction).

So no, not going to change my tune, because I know that it's absolutely and easily possible for legitimately sick people to be treated without the circus that MMJ has become here.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:55 PM

169 posts, read 319,201 times
What makes me believe drug users are unfit is decades of experience, having worked with and supervised thousands of employees, including a non-trivial number of substance abusers. The reliability of known substance abusers was subpar, their absenteeism was abnormally high, and their general performance and levels of motivation were far below their peers.

Bottom line: if I know you use recreational drugs, I don't trust you to be a reliable employee in an
office setting...and much less so in any job where attention to detail translates to quality or safety. That evidence is far more compelling to me than a couple cherry-picked articles. And as a result, if I'm in charge, I WANT to know which of my employees uses, so I can get rid of them rapidly and preemptively.

Now that's a civil response. All fair points, Bob, and I can see why you feel the way that you do. I can relate to what you're saying but it seems we're arguing separate issues. I'll never advocate for anyone who comes to work under the influence, fire 'em, but bad employees do not good drug policy make. If you have a thief, lazy ass, drunk, whatever, you fire them, but you wouldn't lock them up at taxpayer expense, would you? Then why single out the smoker? As a supervisor, is the irritation they cause really worth the $40,000 per year it costs to house them? Granted, some users are content with their lot in life and it shows through poor work performance, dress, attitude, etc., but that's not just tokers, I've had plenty of lazy, non-users in my employ through the years just as I've had many outstanding tokers. According to some I should fire the outstanding toker and keep Mr. Lazy all because of an archaic law. Again, that's just ludicrous! Be careful what you wish for because the REAL losers might be all you'll have left to hire from the in the employee pool if you insist on throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
I would never, never, never, go to work under the influence of anything, though I've had my share of work hangovers in my forty-eight years. To me, accepting a wage under those conditions is more a character flaw than a substance problem. I'm no alcoholic, I just didn't always have the good sense to stop drinking at a decent hour the night before. Conversely, a pothead can smoke all he wants the night before, pounds of the stuff, joint after glorious joint, and he/she will be right as rain for you the next day because there is no residual effect from weed, unlike alcohol, NONE. It's also a mistake to assume that without the weed that they would magically morph into Employee of the Month. A bad employee is a bad employee regardless the reason, don't blame it on the weed.
Thanks again for the chance to share from the other side.

Last edited by VenusAllen; 12-13-2011 at 03:14 PM..

Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM

20,376 posts, read 37,929,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
In Europe even kids have wine with their dinner. In Germany beer is available in vending machines at many manufacturing facilities. It's part of their culture.
I think pot has and is becoming more mainstream and part our culture (using the term lightly).
A friend's mother (72 yrs) with 2 autoimmune disorders started taking edible MMJ last year.
She has demonstrated marked functional improvement when I last saw her.
It works for her and her daughter is pleased with her quality of life RP
My sister has a similar story.... She developed PolyMyalgia Rheumatica (PMR), an inflammatory disorder that causes muscle pain and stiffness, primarily in your neck, shoulders, upper arms, hips and thighs. Symptoms of PMR usually begin quickly over a few days, and usually goes away within a year or two after treatment.

She could barely move, her husband had to help her dress, get her in/out of bed, etc. She couldn't ride her horses, which for her was like being in jail. It lasted all of two years. The usual Rx of steroids and other meds did not kill the severe pain. Her neighbor gave her a joint to smoke, and she said the relief from the pain was amazing, so she kept a few around for the worst nights. She's over it now, she drove her pickup truck and rode her horses last month for the first time in 2.5 years, she was so happy. BTW, she just went through chemo and radiation for breast cancer in 2011, as if the PMR wasn't enough to deal with.

She's never been an MJ user, hardest thing she ever touches is a rum and coke on karaoke nights. But the MJ eased her pain when nothing else did, and for me, that's all the testimonial I need to be a believer.

Still, like Bob says, there's a lot of people hopping on the bandwagon to get the stuff without having to buy from the black market.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM

Mfbe wrote:
hardest thing she ever touches is a rum and coke on karaoke nights
Might not be that way for everyone, but in my body, a rum and coke would be alot harder than a toke on a joint. Under unusual circumstances I might put some rum into my body, but no way would I use coke. That coke ( coca cola ) is nasty stuff!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM

From the comments I've made in defense of MJ, one could easily get the impression that I'm a frequent MJ user. Actually I'm not. I've used MJ ( and usually just one toke ) perhaps a dozen times a year for the past 2 years. I may light up on 3 or 4 consecutive weekends, then go 6 to 8 months without. I enjoy the altered state of consciousness that it brings about. It's a great opportunity to experience the world from a different perspective for a few hours, which keeps me from taking my cherished beliefs too seriously. I think each one of us would be better off if we realized that our beliefs are just that...BELIEFS. It's all to easy to think that our beliefs are the way things really are, and MJ is great for poking holes in that unfortunate illusion .

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-13-2011 at 04:38 PM..

Old 12-13-2011, 04:04 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,178,099 times
With the possible exception of meth (in my opinion, the most dangerous of all drugs, for which those convicted of manufacturing it, distributing it, and selling it should be subject to the death penalty), every single illicit drug one can think of has a legitimate medical use--opiates for pain control, cocaine for certain medical procedures, etc. That still does not mean to me that they should be legalized for non-medical purposes. People forget (or never studied history to know) that many now-illicit drugs were once legal, with often savage results for users. Cocaine was widely sold, as were numerous opiate drugs, as just a couple of examples. They were made illegal for non-medical purposes when their dangerous and addictive properties became apparent.

I fully agree with Bob From Down South that being drug-free of illicit drugs in order to receive any government benefit (including student loans, Medicaid, welfare, SSI, etc.) or to obtain government employment would be a very good thing. That would probably do more to discourage illicit drug use than any other single thing. For once, maybe Colorado could take the lead and enact such legislation on the state level. What do you bet that the welfare and Medicaid rolls would drop like a rock?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:27 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,627,946 times
Hell, they used to put cocaine in the original Coca Cola. RP

Old 12-13-2011, 05:02 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,178,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Hell, they used to put cocaine in the original Coca Cola. RP
They also used to sell a concoction of alcohol and opiates called Laudanum over the counter. Not everything about "the good old days" was good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado