Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,289,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
So than, how do we deal with the prescription drug problem? With teens and the military it's as bad or worse than MMJ. Are you go going to ban this too? RP
In many cases, testing also works for those drugs, too. I know the military treats a positive drug test for unprescribed prescription drugs (opiates, synthetic opiates, etc) the same as pot, cocaine, and meth.

But regardless, your argument seems to be that if we can't catch some of the abuse, we should turn our backs on ALL of it. No, you still have to do what you can to clean up your workplace. It pays off big when you make the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Bob from down south wrote:
I know the military treats a positive drug test for unprescribed prescription drugs (opiates, synthetic opiates, etc) the same as pot, cocaine, and meth.
My introduction to MJ took place while in the Air Force. Apparently the military has made some BIG changes since the early 70s when I was an Air Force Sargeant. During my days in the military, MJ use was rampant and e-a-s-y to obtain, and this was on a base far away from combat. From the stories I've heard, it was far more rampant in Viet Nam. Not even in Boulder after my discharge, was MJ so noticable or available. In the 70s, Boulder was pretty tame compared to the Air Force with regard to the use of MJ.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-14-2011 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,315 times
We will NEVER protect people from themselves, period. Everything these days has to dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Stupid people doing stupid things (as in nature) are eliminated from the gene pool, what's wrong with that? Do we have to protect the meek, weak and stupid?
Our species is becoming less viable with each generation. RP

Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 AM

proveick wrote:
Stupid people doing stupid things (as in nature) are eliminated from the gene pool,
Kinda reminds me of the saying, If ignorance is bliss, where are all the happy people. Obviously, that it not the case, nor apparently is your statement above. There is still a myriad of stupid people populating this planet, and I imagine that will continue long into the future.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,072 times
Thought this would be of some interest. Cannabis plant extracts can effectively fight drug-resistant bacteria. - ABC News

What gets me here, with all these arguments, is that people are failing to realize there are more ways to use MMJ without smoking it. Many of the legitimate medical users out there choose another method, as they can't tolerate, or don't want to smoke their medicine. It also seems like many people here on this thread think all MMJ users are losers, wouldn't think the same if their employee, etc. was taking a prescription for their condition. Many of these prescriptions are more dangerous, deadly and subject to abuse than MMJ. My brother-in-law, who died of an overdose recently was prescribed his medication from a "legitimate" doctor. The medicine he was prescribed has a history of abuse, yet the doctor chose to prescribe him a bottle of 100 pills right after he returned from a 48 day rehab for abuse of this drug!!! I don't know of anyone who has died from MMJ. I just can't fathom how we, as the general public without any medical background, can argue that pharmaceutical drugs are somehow better than a natural plant in it's unaltered state.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
And yes, I label all dopers as losers. There's too much risk in trying to identify the elusive theoretical doper that can and always will control his illegal habit and keep it away from the workplace, and the many I've seen that THINK they can control it, and who THINK they're God's gift to their employer, but most certainly are not.
They're anything but elusive my small minded friend, they're actually very common. You come into contact with them every day and don't even realize it because they don't fit your "stereotype" of stoners. Doctors, lawyers, professional business people through all walks of life.

I believe it because I know it's true. If I were to believe in stereotypes and generalizations, I would believe that all people "from down south" are narrow minded and unable to see past the tip of their nose. Fortunately, critical thinking tells me that's not true. I'm one of millions of educated professionals who know the truth and don't accept 70+ years of propaganda. Keep wallowing in your misconceptions & hate.... your loss.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:52 AM

I'd be willing to bet that even the staunchly conservative, anti MJ business owner, who puts their employees thru a rigorous drug screening.....does NOT administer that same drug screening to their customers. When it comes to the bottom line, their principles, morality, and judgementality fall by the wayside because they are schrewd enough to know that the losers money is as good as anyone elses money.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
They're anything but elusive my small minded friend, they're actually very common. You come into contact with them every day and don't even realize it because they don't fit your "stereotype" of stoners. Doctors, lawyers, professional business people through all walks of life.

I believe it because I know it's true. If I were to believe in stereotypes and generalizations, I would believe that all people "from down south" are narrow minded and unable to see past the tip of their nose. Fortunately, critical thinking tells me that's not true. I'm one of millions of educated professionals who know the truth and don't accept 70+ years of propaganda. Keep wallowing in your misconceptions & hate.... your loss.
So now it's "hate." That's pretty amusing.

If I were to believe in stereotypes and generalizations, I guess I would believe that men who beat their wives and girlfriends are losers. Oh, wait, I do believe that... I believe that those who illegally use recreational drugs are losers, yes, based on a fairly large sample of observed behavior over the years, including that of other self-professed sucessful educated professionals that failed to recognize the effect their drug use was having on their professional performance. I also believe that those who rob people at gunpoint are violent sociopaths...DANG...there's another one of those awful generalizations.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I'd be willing to bet that even the staunchly conservative, anti MJ business owner, who puts their employees thru a rigorous drug screening.....does NOT administer that same drug screening to their customers. When it comes to the bottom line, their principles, morality, and judgementality fall by the wayside because they are schrewd enough to know that the losers money is as good as anyone elses money.
Geez, what an irrelevant non-sequitur. SO WHAT??!!

If I'm a business owner, my interests lie in getting the best performance I can from my employees, minimizing unnecessary costs, and in preventing them from hurting themselves and others in the process. My responsibility in that capacity doesn't extend to the behavior of my competitors, my customers, or to the citizens of Bulgaria, either.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:51 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Bob from down south wrote:
I know the military treats a positive drug test for unprescribed prescription drugs (opiates, synthetic opiates, etc) the same as pot, cocaine, and meth.
My introduction to MJ took place while in the Air Force. Apparently the military has made some BIG changes since the early 70s when I was an Air Force Sargeant. During my days in the military, MJ use was rampant and e-a-s-y to obtain, and this was on a base far away from combat. From the stories I've heard, it was far more rampant in Viet Nam. Not even in Boulder after my discharge, was MJ so noticable or available. In the 70s, Boulder was pretty tame compared to the Air Force with regard to the use of MJ.
The use of illegal drugs and abuse of alcohol varies and depends on the individuals and shows in different military units and the applicable Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) which populated those units.

In a Combat Arms unit with Combat MOSs, more of the individuals (I am not saying everyone) are of the lower economic classes and have more a familial and cultural history of abusing drugs and alcohol. So, it is the individual, not the military that is the problem in many cases--not all. In combat, that can stress much of good learned behavior.

I was in a very selective Intelligence Unit in Army where most had higher education, more came from higher economic classes. They were rated as more intelligent per the military testing and were trained in more challenging MOSs. I cannot remember any minorities in my unit, and there were no woman, as units were not sexually mixed at that time. Now that I think of it, there were no woman in any of the intelligence schools, I attended. We also worked with civilians from the NSA and other less known and secretive govt. agencies and there were no woman--surprisingly, I never gave that a thought before. Yea, woman were really discriminated against.

From my memory, there was no abuse of alcohol or drugs from the more educated and highly trained. Some of the lower trained operators and support personnel, that were attached to the Intelligence field station, did abuse alcohol. Of course, we all had to have very high security clearances, so illegal drug abusers would not have been selected. Again, it is more the individual not the military that defines behavior.

I worked, managed and hired in Boulder and the abuse of drugs and alcohol was a problem with a select few, not all, but more than my own individual experiences in the military. Many of the college students and others in Boulder are innately intelligent, but some of those can only think within the group, and are affected by group peer behavior. Many of the abusers of drugs were easy to identify with the lack luster performance and lack of attention to detail, especially those high on MJ in the workplace. I found the same sort of people when I went to colleges in New York. No matter how much these people talk ,about how they feel drugs are a new wave, they do not represent anywhere near the whole of America.

I agree with other posters, as I would never hire anyone using MJ. I would have less assurance in any worker using MJ, where attention to detail is important. It may make some of you feel good, feel important, love yourself, relax but when work has to be done, jobs have to be accomplished and where lives and welfare of others are vitally important--you are not the ones I would select to be my employee, physician, accountant, policeman, fireman, bus driver or any one that I need to rely on for any services and help. I do not even seek to be your friend or make your acquaintance. You are just another irritant of life, that I seek to ignore and avoid.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-14-2011 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado