Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Chalk Pueblo up as another county that will not fight the new law. I had a feeling this would happen but its nice to see it official.

This is from the Pueblo Chieftain:

"Just as our office has abided by the medical marijuana provisions of our state constitution, we will abide by the provisions of this amendment to our state constitution once it is legally on the books," said Pueblo County District Attorney Bill Thiebaut.

The link: Thiebaut will comply with new pot law - Pueblo Chieftain: Local News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Sonic_Spork wrote: I think the new slogan has become "Rocky Mountain HIGH"

When I told my envious friend in California that the people of Colorado voted to legalize MJ, he wrote back that it gives Rocky Mountain High a whole new meaning.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Here a notable article in the WaPo proposing to end the War on Drugs.

Excerpt: Since its launch in 1971, when President Nixon successfully branded drug addicts as criminals, the war on drugs has resulted in 45 million arrests and destroyed countless families. The result of this trillion dollar crusade? Americans aren’t drug free — we’re just the world’s most incarcerated population. We make China look like Woodstock. We’re also, according to the old definition, insane; despite overwhelming evidence of its failure, our elected officials steadfastly refuse to change course.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:02 PM

20,381 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Ya know, I sound like a total tinfoil-head here, all conspiracy theories and whanot, but I believe that Obama was permitted to say anything he wanted, but then when he was elected, those wielding the power, money, and influence made it very clear to him that ending MJ prohibition wasn't going to be allowed.

CosmicWizard knows this, and he's right. There are some very big and wealthy interests who have reason to want the war on drugs to continue.

- The timber and paper industry
- The plastics and chemical industry, and their suppliers
- Illegal black market interests, cartels and warlords
- Big Pharma
- For-profit prisons

^ These are the big players who want no part of legal MJ and/or industrial hemp. I doubt that Obama has what it takes to stand up to them.

Oh, and that's not even counting the foreign interests who may wish to see the US economy remain weak, such as perhaps China for instance. The last thing some of our global neighbors want is for us to suddenly have a great new resource that we can grow and manufacture stuff from, when they'd much rather we had to import it at great cost from them...

There is SO much more to this than considerations of the merit or harm of MJ the smokeable psychoactive substance.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Shoot, you left out the booze industry, for sure the biggest loser of all.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 AM

United Nations threatens Colorado, Washington state over marijuana decriminalization laws

Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,089 times
As if they don't have MUCH bigger concerns to deal with.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
As if they don't have MUCH bigger concerns to deal with.
Actually it's high on their priority list for a number of reasons, listed in my prior posts and in the comments on this article. Big business, big government, big media, big UN. All appendages on the same big ugly beast. When the wealth and power and control is threatened, the dogs start barking.

The real question is, are the people and the local leaders going to bark back, or roll over?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 AM

Sonic_Spork wrote: Big business, big government, big media, big UN.

None of these entities are sustainable. They will all follow the dinosaurs into oblivion. It's already starting to unravel.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Sonic_Spork wrote: Big business, big government, big media, big UN.

None of these entities are sustainable. They will all follow the dinosaurs into oblivion. It's already starting to unravel.
Hope you're right brother.

I don't mind more globalization in some respects. I like how you can go to some of these microlending sites now, and loan a modest amount of American dollars to a would-be entrepreneur in a third world country and because of the absurdity of the exchange rate, they are able to totally get a start in life. (Kiva is the website I'm most familiar with.) The default rate on those loans is surprisingly low, although as an investment it's not a big return, the karma...wow. I like people being good to other people, on scales both local and global. I do not think we should isolate ourselves in a tight bubble and be blind to everyone outside our borders.

What I object to is the corruption at the highest levels, and the increases in opportunity for said corruption to flourish the more powerful those interests become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado