Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:01 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
So you would turn down a line of coke or a gram of shrooms? How about pharms? Designer drugs? Or are you a weed purist?

If so, then good for you.

I do believe and understand that there may be social/moderate/occasional pot smokers. Are they the norm? Not statistically and not what I've seen in them.

In my circle of people now, I don't even see or smell or hear about the stuff. I like it this way.
I only smoke pot. Been smoking for 45 years now and I learned a long time ago (as a teenager) that the chemicals were the bad stuff. Made that decision when I was 16 years old and anybody with half a brain does. I smoke pot & I like it a lot, I like red wine, and a few beers will occasionally make their way past my lips & down into my gullet as well.

That being said, everybody that I know who smokes pot, only smokes pot and does not partake of any chemicals for a high. They are professionals, executives, well paid responsible people who simply prefer the pleasure of cannabis over alcohol and intoxicants that are realistically much more damaging to your body & mind. For every lowlife toker you see on the street there are untold numbers of people who smoke that you never know about. Those same professionals and business executives mentioned above who have too much at risk to ever let anybody else know that they partake. I did that for most of my 45 years. However, now that I'm retired, I have no need to maintain that charade. I speak freely about my enjoyment of cannabis and have watched those around me over the years become more & more accepting of this (relatively) benign substance. Our own government as now estimated that close to 50M people smoke pot regularly in the use. That's approximately 15% of the population.

BTW, my background? I have been married for 37 years with 3 kids (aged from 28-36), had a long successful career in technology (I'm an electrical engineering grad.... smoked all through college), raised and educated all three of those kids, worked and saved long & hard for retirement, and now get to enjoy the fruits of my labor by buying land in Durango and building a beautiful Timber Frame home to enjoy the southwest. I was able to save and invest wisely and my retirement savings are substantial. I can guarantee that there are many more like me on CD and you see many of their comments in this thread.

Many people believe that there are no social, moderate, or occasional smokers. That's because they only see what's on the surface, the lowlifes & idiots who have no discretion in most things they do so pot is no different to them. Unless & until they actually spend years with a person and know them well, they will never understand how that person could actually be a pot smoker. That my friend is the piece of information that you lack which leads you to an inaccurate opinion about the profile of tokers in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
I'll judge whomever and however the hell I want.

If you put yourself in my shoes and come to the conclusion that I'm wrong... as if there's a wrong here, then bite down hard, build a bridge and get over it.

This is where I stand.

If you don't want what I have, then don't do what I do.

If you want what I have, then get your ass up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
As for drinking, in Germany many employers have beer vending machines. Is that wrong?

Don't you recall seeing me mention something about "If you want to drink, that's your business"?

I'm not a reformer nor a temperance person in any way. This is where I stand. Weed is illegal. I agree that it shouldn't be schedule 1. But don't drink or pill in such a way that you put me at risk.

Go find your favorite recreational pot smoker right now. When they burn through that 1/4 oz, where are they going to get that next one? Answer me that? From the corrupt cop down the street right?

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-09-2012 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-09-2012, 09:35 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Ol' SoButt just made the case against legalization. What he basically said in the above post was that work, family, and legal considerations at least moderated his pot use (but he still did it, despite the legal and other risks), but now that those restraints are lifted, he can use as much as he wants as often as he wants. That says two things:

1. That such prohibitions are least somewhat a deterrence to use.

2. That pot is an addiction, whether psychological or physical, that he does not want to or can not control. When people are willing to sneak around and engage in activities that are illegal, could wreck their career, could raise havoc with their family, then they have an addiction or substance abuse problem. And just because they got away with it doesn't change that.

I also don't buy the professional success crap. Two of my favorite jazz performers were Billy Holiday and Chet Baker. Both, by any estimation, were masters at their craft and professional successes. And both were heroin addicts. Notwithstanding their professional success, substance abuse wrecked their personal lives and caused them to die prematurely. No, pot ain't heroin, and legal alcohol abuse is as much or more destructive than pot abuse. Still, I don't see a reason to add more stuff to the list of what people can legally abuse and become addicted to.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:00 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Oh, for the person who keeps asking where smokers get their supply, I have a close relative who gets it from his brother who lives in the country and grows it himself. This is in a state where it doesn't stand a chance in heck of becoming legal in any way, any time soon.

Not everyone is funding the cartels.

Of course if it became legal, then no one would be funding the cartels.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,115,680 times
If you have your MMJ card you can grow up to 6 plants for your own personal use. No cartels.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
No, pot ain't heroin, and legal alcohol abuse is as much or more destructive than pot abuse. Still, I don't see a reason to add more stuff to the list of what people can legally abuse and become addicted to.
Its already out there and easy to get the only difference is now it will be regulated. That is why I voted for the measure. Personally I think its a matter of "when" not "if" its legal across the nation.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Oh, I was referring to Marijuana for recreational use.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
reps again.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
I only smoke pot. Been smoking for 45 years now and I learned a long time ago (as a teenager) that the chemicals were the bad stuff. Made that decision when I was 16 years old and anybody with half a brain does. I smoke pot & I like it a lot, I like red wine, and a few beers will occasionally make their way past my lips & down into my gullet as well.

That being said, everybody that I know who smokes pot, only smokes pot and does not partake of any chemicals for a high. They are professionals, executives, well paid responsible people who simply prefer the pleasure of cannabis over alcohol and intoxicants that are realistically much more damaging to your body & mind. For every lowlife toker you see on the street there are untold numbers of people who smoke that you never know about. Those same professionals and business executives mentioned above who have too much at risk to ever let anybody else know that they partake. I did that for most of my 45 years. However, now that I'm retired, I have no need to maintain that charade. I speak freely about my enjoyment of cannabis and have watched those around me over the years become more & more accepting of this (relatively) benign substance. Our own government as now estimated that close to 50M people smoke pot regularly in the use. That's approximately 15% of the population.

BTW, my background? I have been married for 37 years with 3 kids (aged from 28-36), had a long successful career in technology (I'm an electrical engineering grad.... smoked all through college), raised and educated all three of those kids, worked and saved long & hard for retirement, and now get to enjoy the fruits of my labor by buying land in Durango and building a beautiful Timber Frame home to enjoy the southwest. I was able to save and invest wisely and my retirement savings are substantial. I can guarantee that there are many more like me on CD and you see many of their comments in this thread.

Many people believe that there are no social, moderate, or occasional smokers. That's because they only see what's on the surface, the lowlifes & idiots who have no discretion in most things they do so pot is no different to them. Unless & until they actually spend years with a person and know them well, they will never understand how that person could actually be a pot smoker. That my friend is the piece of information that you lack which leads you to an inaccurate opinion about the profile of tokers in the country.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,115,680 times
Weed tourism might help our economy.
Amendment 64 in Colorado, and pot vote in Washington raise specter of weed tourism | 9news.com

Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post

My father is like you. He actually didn't really smoke the stuff for most of his professional years. Only recently, with MMJ has he started smoking again. He finds that is allows his back spasms to relax and he doesn't have to take prescription pills for it. He's very successful, has a great reputation, and is not someone I would describe as a pothead! I know of several other people in my community who are very successful and enjoy the occasional toke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Ol' SoButt just made the case against legalization. What he basically said in the above post was that work, family, and legal considerations at least moderated his pot use (but he still did it, despite the legal and other risks), but now that those restraints are lifted, he can use as much as he wants as often as he wants. That says two things:

1. That such prohibitions are least somewhat a deterrence to use.

2. That pot is an addiction, whether psychological or physical, that he does not want to or can not control. When people are willing to sneak around and engage in activities that are illegal, could wreck their career, could raise havoc with their family, then they have an addiction or substance abuse problem. And just because they got away with it doesn't change that.

I also don't buy the professional success crap. Two of my favorite jazz performers were Billy Holiday and Chet Baker. Both, by any estimation, were masters at their craft and professional successes. And both were heroin addicts. Notwithstanding their professional success, substance abuse wrecked their personal lives and caused them to die prematurely. No, pot ain't heroin, and legal alcohol abuse is as much or more destructive than pot abuse. Still, I don't see a reason to add more stuff to the list of what people can legally abuse and become addicted to.
Jazz, I respect your opinion about many things in regards to Colorado, even though I don't agree. This however, really doesn't sit well with me. You have no right to tell someone they are dependent on a substance simply because they enjoy it. That's ludicrous! Yes, there are plenty of lowlife potheads, just like drunks, and prescription pill junkies. My own brother-in-law died of an overdose of pills at the young age of 26. Yes, there is potential for abuse for anything in life! However, I know many more successful people who drink socially, smoke socially, but otherwise are outstanding citizens. The old line you keep throwing out there that it's illegal at the federal level, therefore you shouldn't do it, it just plain old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado