Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:35 AM

57 posts, read 150,026 times

Advertisements

I was doing some research and I see there is a Continental Divide Landmark at (U.S. Highway 6, Loveland, CO 80538)
From the looks of google street view, thats private house. Does anybody have any more info or where I can see this landmark. I would assume that there could be multiple landmarks or signs.

Any help would be nice.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 10:56 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,354 times
It is not on private property, it's at the top of Loveland pass on the west side of the road. Can't miss it. There's a big parking lot across from it.
Photos for Colorado Continental Divide Landmark and Hike | Yelp

Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
There's also one on Monarch Pass highway 50 in the other Colorado.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:31 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Continental Divide at Loveland Pass

I presume you are referring to the top of Loveland Pass (11,990 elevation) on US 6, skirting the Eisenhower Tunnel to drop down past A-Basin and Keystone to Dillon, CO?

If so, I recall no house at the summit, with indeed the closest residence down below at A-Basin. If looking on Google street view one will find they have yet to drive that road and photograph it, although a number of pictures posted along its length. Several of them depict the summit, with a U.S. Forest Service sign denoting the summit, and as along the continental divide. The sign has a built stone foundation, and sign above in customary two-tone brown wood. (to find this on Google, begin at Dillon, then follow US 6 broadly to its intersection with I-70, and backtrack past the some of the hairpins to the denoted Pass Lake. A-Basin is marked twice for some reason, once further down the road where it really is, and then just on the road just above Pass Lake. In that vicinity one will find some pictures of this sign, both winter and summer.)

As a side note, the continental divide winds through Rocky Mountain National Park as well, Trail Ridge Road crossing it near Lake Irene at Milner Pass (10,758 elevation). But aside from the sign, one might not think so, as in having climbed up from the valley of the Colorado River, then somewhat level across that small valley at Lake Irene, and then continues on up. The highest point on the road (12,183 elevation) is not reached until past the Alpine Visitors Center. Although it comes before the rock cut, which one might think the highest.

West of Chama, NM on US 64, the continental divide is crossed before reaching the 'T' leading either on north towards Pagosa Springs, CO or west towards Dulce, NM. There is a sign marking the divide, if not as flamboyant, and one could be excused from thinking nothing at all, as but sloping meadow, all appreciable mountain peaks in the distance.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbittaudia4 View Post
I was doing some research and I see there is a Continental Divide Landmark at (U.S. Highway 6, Loveland, CO 80538)
From the looks of google street view, thats private house. Does anybody have any more info or where I can see this landmark. I would assume that there could be multiple landmarks or signs.

Any help would be nice.

Thanks
As others have stated, the landmark is atop Loveland Pass, US Hwy. 6, which is in the mountains. Loveland, CO 80538 is a city in Northern Colorado along the Front Range. Two different locations, but often mistaken for the same. Try searching for Loveland Pass instead.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:30 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
There is one in Rocky Mountain National Park too, closer to Granby

Old 12-06-2011, 04:41 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post

West of Chama, NM on US 64, the continental divide is crossed before reaching the 'T' leading either on north towards Pagosa Springs, CO or west towards Dulce, NM. There is a sign marking the divide, if not as flamboyant, and one could be excused from thinking nothing at all, as but sloping meadow, all appreciable mountain peaks in the distance.
The signs are similar in New Mexico regarding crossing the Continental Divide on U.S.550, ten miles west of Cuba, and on I-10, halfway between Lordsburg and Deming.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,247 times
There's also a Continental Divide marker directly below Wolf Creek Pass (our your left) on Hwy 160 when heading towards Pagosa Springs, Colorado. Nice, wide parking area. Beautiful spot.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:56 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Cottonwood Pass also has one....

Old 09-02-2016, 08:08 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Cottonwood Pass also has one....
Darn, you beat me to it!

OP, what kind of research are you doing? Are you looking at CD markers in Wyoming and Montana, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado