U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 12:07 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
I would not say Pueblo is the mildest, as it is usually both hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than Colorado Springs.
I've been going through Pueblo my whole life. I've never been there on a day in winter(especially at night) where I have said "hey it's warm" or made note that it is pleasant. I know like all I-25 corridor cities it has it's nice days, but I've never really been there in winter on a banana growing day.

It's also brown, exposed and gets plenty of wind and it's not in the most attractive part of CO.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 12:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,773 posts, read 37,441,293 times
I will stick with Loveland and Berthoud (the garden spot of CO...) I rode my bicycle to work all but 3 days, the last yr I lived there. I rode in a few minor snow events, snow is usually gone by noon. (With a few exceptions / yr.

There is significant wind in most front range towns, at least a few times during the winter. Boulder can get some serious winds.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:58 AM

12,099 posts, read 20,344,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I've been going through Pueblo my whole life. I've never been there on a day in winter(especially at night) where I have said "hey it's warm" or made note that it is pleasant. I know like all I-25 corridor cities it has it's nice days, but I've never really been there in winter on a banana growing day.

It's also brown, exposed and gets plenty of wind and it's not in the most attractive part of CO.

Pueblo is no Arizona but we are known as the most northern southwest city and is usually warmer then the rest of the front range in the winter with less snow. I know this because as I kid I would hate it when I would wake up to sunshine, or just a light snow fall, while the rest of the front range had a major snow storm. Then the snow we would get would melt fast as Pueblo warms up fast. Pueblo can and usually does get into the 70's, even in January. I now understand that is a benefit and one reason people are looking at this city. As far as the summer. The days are warmer here but so are the evenings. That is perfect weather to play golf in. As far as being dry. The golf courses have sprinkler systems and are kept green in the summer and nice in the winter. I live by one and its used all year round.

Is this a city the OP would want to live in? Honestly I don't know but this city does have some of the most golf playing days in the state that is something I do know.

Last edited by Josseppie; 12-08-2011 at 10:12 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 12:26 PM

486 posts, read 1,234,640 times
Loveland and Berthoud???? Best weather? What? Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't think of those places as particularly warm in Colorado. I guess beause they are north of Denver.

Canon City area and the co-called "Banana Belt" of Colorado are nothing like Cancun in Mexico (of course). It's just a figure of speech.

Canon City and Pueblo area can be more accurately compared to Albuquerque, NM in terms of climate. Warm, dry, arid with some mild winter weather and once in a while a bad storm that will keep the furnaces blasting. Hot summers, nice fall & springtime.

Last edited by sesamekid; 12-08-2011 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 12:46 PM

486 posts, read 1,234,640 times
oh, and what about Grand Junction?

Weather similar to Canon City/Pueblo and it has great golf-courses like that award-winning one - Redlands Mesa.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:49 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,511,378 times
"Best" weather is somewhat subjective. The western slope areas like Grand Junction are probably some of the warmest and least snowfall in the state, but they can be ferociously hot in summer. (Much the same can be said of Canon City or Pueblo on the eastern slope.). The mountains would have beautiful (though short) summers, and long, cold, snowy winters.

Colorado Springs probably has a good balance, though that city has a lot of different micro-climates. Compared to Metro Denver, it's actually much cooler in summer in many parts of the city (particularly the northern/western part). In the winter, it does statistically get noticeably less snow than metro Denver, benefiting from a range of foothills to its north called the Palmer Divide.

Still, I think it's safe to say that you should like the idea of snow if you're going to come to Colorado. Anywhere in Colorado. Even the so-called banana belts feature reliable snowfall every winter, plus a week or two of arctic cold. If having a bit of snow is something that you dread rather than look forward to, you're not going to like it here.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:54 PM

12,099 posts, read 20,344,698 times
Something I forgot to mention was that Pueblo was named as one of the cities with the most sunshine a year in the nation. It was the only Colorado City to make the list. That should give you a idea of how much golfing you can do here.

Here is the list:

1) Yuma, Arizona 90
2) Redding California 88
3) Phoenix, Arizona 85
4) Tucson, Arizona 85
5) Las Vegas, Nevada 85
6) El Paso, Texas 84
7) Fresno, California 79
8) Reno, Nevada 79
9) Flagstaff, Arizona 78
10) Sacramento, California 78
11) Pueblo, Colorado 76
12) Key West, Florida 76
13) Albuquerque, New Mexico 76

The Link: America's sunniest cities - Americas sunniest cities - 14 (http://specials.msn.com/A-List/Lifestyle/Americas-sunniest-cities.aspx?cp-documentid=28843120&imageindex=14&cp-searchtext=Pueblo,%20Colo.%20&FORM=MSNIIT - broken link)

Old 12-08-2011, 06:33 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Pueblo is no Arizona but we are known as the most northern southwest city and is usually warmer then the rest of the front range in the winter with less snow. I know this because as I kid I would hate it when I would wake up to sunshine, or just a light snow fall, while the rest of the front range had a major snow storm. Then the snow we would get would melt fast as Pueblo warms up fast. Pueblo can and usually does get into the 70's, even in January. I now understand that is a benefit and one reason people are looking at this city. As far as the summer. The days are warmer here but so are the evenings. That is perfect weather to play golf in. As far as being dry. The golf courses have sprinkler systems and are kept green in the summer and nice in the winter. I live by one and its used all year round.

Is this a city the OP would want to live in? Honestly I don't know but this city does have some of the most golf playing days in the state that is something I do know.
Pueblo is certainly one of the warmer places in CO, however it has plenty of winter weather, cold temps and wind, as evidenced by the winter weather thread and all the pics you post. And as you tell us about storm after storm I always like to remind you where in the heck all the bananas are in this banana belt of winter storms LOL!

CO and PA are the 2 states I have always been linked to and have spent my whole life associated with or living in. Having done many winters in both states I really don't believe if you are looking for a "seachange"(aussie word) and you are over winter weather, that CO is going to be an upgrade. In fact I have always been reminded over the years, as most times when I would return to CO it would always be colder and that's on the Front Range as well. And as example this winter already in PA, the weather has been way more mild than in CO.

True that CO gets more sunshine, but the trade off is a hell of a lot more wind and more frequent wind. The other trade off is that PA has more stable weather patterns, whereas in Colorado the weather changes fast and frequently.

I've seen people play golf occasionally in CO in winter, but I don't think it's a big draw.

My end point is you will not be escaping winter in CO and you will likely be doing winter activities just as you would in any other winter climate.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:42 AM

291 posts, read 565,056 times
excellent, excellent data from everyone, Its not that we hate the snow but in northeastern pa we have snow and ice storms which cause alot of damage and make for long winters. The humidity in NEPA is also a draw back and from what I am gathering the dryness of Colorado would alleviate that problema and make temps feel as normal as they can...ex: In NEPA 85 degrees in the summer with 100% humidty makes you feel like you are in a rain forest, and this the norm lately rather than the excetion

Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 AM

169 posts, read 318,184 times
[quote=padad1;22047307] The humidity in NEPA is also a draw back and from what I am gathering the dryness of Colorado would alleviate that problema and make temps feel as normal as they can...ex: In NEPA 85 degrees in the summer with 100% humidty makes you feel like you are in a rain forest, and this the norm lately rather than the excetion[/quote

Haven't been here long enough to comment on your original post but wanted to say that you are spot on with THESE words. KY has similar humidity to PA, which was our main impetus for moving here, so I can verify that there's a world of difference between the humidity in those areas and Colorado. Thirty degrees in Colorado is not the same as thirty degrees "back east", it's MUCH more pleasant. In winter, with comparable temps, I'd say it feels ten degrees warmer, here, but comparable summer temps seem MUCH cooler because of the lack of humidity: best of both worlds. With temps in the forties, it's not unusual to see Colorado children on school playgrounds wearing shorts and t-shirts while their counterparts in the mid-Atlantic states would be bundled up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado