U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:35 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,461,314 times

Advertisements

padad1 wrote:
and the temps routinely drop to the singel digits during winter
And the temps VERY routinely drop to the singel digits during winter just about EVERYWHERE in Colorado. Double digit below zero readings are common in many parts of Colorado. You are not going to avoid singel digit tempertaures in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,362,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Pueblo is certainly one of the warmer places in CO, however it has plenty of winter weather, cold temps and wind, as evidenced by the winter weather thread and all the pics you post. And as you tell us about storm after storm I always like to remind you where in the heck all the bananas are in this banana belt of winter storms LOL!
Agreed Pueblo does get snow and cold temperatures. That is why I posted Pueblo is no Arizona. From reading the OP posts I get that they are not looking for no snow just less snow and cold with no humidity. Based on that criteria Pueblo is the warmest city on the front range with the most golfing days.

Quote:
CO and PA are the 2 states I have always been linked to and have spent my whole life associated with or living in. Having done many winters in both states I really don't believe if you are looking for a "seachange"(aussie word) and you are over winter weather, that CO is going to be an upgrade. In fact I have always been reminded over the years, as most times when I would return to CO it would always be colder and that's on the Front Range as well. And as example this winter already in PA, the weather has been way more mild than in CO.

True that CO gets more sunshine, but the trade off is a hell of a lot more wind and more frequent wind. The other trade off is that PA has more stable weather patterns, whereas in Colorado the weather changes fast and frequently.
I have not been to PA but I do pay attention to weather and I would say overall Pueblo is warmer then they are with less humidity so it defiantly feels warmer. To be fair I would say that is the case with most of the front range cities and Grand Junction. Now weather does change fast here, especially in the spring, but the cold snap does not last long and in a day people are back out in the warm weather.

Quote:
I've seen people play golf occasionally in CO in winter, but I don't think it's a big draw.
Now I don't golf, kind of ironic since my back yard is a golf course, but I have always heard that in the winter golf is a big draw in Pueblo from the cities in the northern front range.

Quote:
My end point is you will not be escaping winter in CO and you will likely be doing winter activities just as you would in any other winter climate.
Colorado is one of the states you can do both in. Something that makes this a fun state to live in, at least in my opinion.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:05 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,909,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
"Best" weather is somewhat subjective. The western slope areas like Grand Junction are probably some of the warmest and least snowfall in the state, but they can be ferociously hot in summer.
Maybe the hottest in the summer, but definitely not the warmest part of the state in winter. Grand Junction weather is very cold in winter months.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:30 PM

80skeys wrote:
Maybe the hottest in the summer, but definitely not the warmest part of the state in winter. Grand Junction weather is very cold in winter months.
Even If the temperatures stayed within the bounds of the long term norms, the climate in Grand Junction is a climate of extremes...with very hot summers and very cold winters as the norm. But staying within the bounds of the norms, has not been the case during the 5 and a half years I've lived in Grand Junction. EVERY summer ( June-July-August ) has been HOTTER than the long term norm and EVERY winter ( December-January-February) has been COLDER than the long term norm. The climate of Grand Junction seems to be moving in the direction of greater extremes, with even HOTTER summers and even COLDER winters. But that's based on a 5 year snapshot and may or may not portend a permanent change.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:39 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,031,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have not been to PA but I do pay attention to weather and I would say overall Pueblo is warmer then they are with less humidity so it defiantly feels warmer. To be fair I would say that is the case with most of the front range cities and Grand Junction. Now weather does change fast here, especially in the spring, but the cold snap does not last long and in a day people are back out in the warm weather.
Oh yeah there are times in winter where the jet stream dips to the deep south and warm air rises along the front range of Colorado, bringing temps into the 60's in January, but it never lasts.

A check of accuweather right now shows you colder at night and warmer or the same temp in the day for the next 2 weeks.

And single digit temps at night are common everywhere in Colorado in winter.

At the end of the day, I don't believe that CO is an upgrade over PA, maybe even less so. At least in terms of if you want to skip out on winter.

In the summer time it's often cooler here in PA and also due to the lower elevation, we don't get charbroiled by the sun. True in Colorado the humidity is less, but the sun is way more intense due to the thin air and elevation.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:56 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,488,436 times
I must say, I am looking back with fondness on Western PA, which I feel had nice weather, generally.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:47 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,203,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
I am hoping that someone on this forum can help. I need to know what areas of Colorado offer the best year round weather. I am a golfer whose family enjoys the outside lifestyle. We are not enormous snow people but will be moving from northeast PA where the snow can get bad and the temps routinely drop to the singel digits during winter. Any help would be great.
OP, I think you will find most of Colorado to have a milder climate that northeast PA, with the exception of the mountains. My husband grew up in northwest PA and he loves the weather in CO compared with the east. There is really no humidity and even though CO gets some good snow, it usually melts within a day or two. Most people in CO maintain an active outdoor lifestyle throughout the year. It sounds like you'll both need work, so I'd probably look at areas that have jobs and narrow your search from there. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:04 AM

8 posts, read 17,170 times
Default Best Weather

Look into Grand Junction. Beautiful golf courses and overall mild winters.We typically have warmer days then Montrose. Any other questions...just ask.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:35 AM

^ This is true most of the time, but when one of the dreaded inversions get set up, the lower valley locations like Grand Junction are often COLDER than higher elevations. Two winters ago, Montrose was warmer than Grand Junction for most of the winter. Even Aspen was warmer alot of the time.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:04 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,909,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco77 View Post
overall mild winters.

Huh? way off base there. last winter when I was there, we had literally three months where the temperature didn't get above 25
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado