U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 PM

91 posts, read 107,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Temps can easily drop into the single digits anywhere in Colorado in winter. And the snow can get bad anywhere in Colorado as well.

The difference you will find in the lower elevations of Colorado compared to NE PA is there is less moisture, the snow has less moisture content, so it dries out a bit quicker rather than being soggy all winter like in NEPA. The snowfall totals are similar just that Colorado snow is more air than water.

Some people are able to golf year round but in the winter due to wind and cold it will be more limited, if not impossible at times. It is certainly not a totally year round golfing destination like say Scottsdale, AZ.

I wouldn't buy into any "Cancun of Colorado", Colorado is the highest average elevation state, with the lowest average temperatures in the continental 48 and some of the worst winter weather and wind around. There is nothing that resembles any bananas or Cancun in Colorado. There are parts of the state that are more pleasant, but the dominate weather pattern in Colorado is winter not summer. All the places people describe as tropical resorts I have been frozen to my bones in winter at.

I'm a 4th generation Coloradan and at the moment living in northern PA, I can easily say I have been just as cold or colder on the Front Range of CO in winter as I have in PA. The plus with Colorado is more sun, the bad, more wind and wind chill.
The climate in Colorado, especially Denver, is so over-rated. I know, I live in the Denver area. BTW, there are officially 246 sunny days in Denver, not the 300 days the chamber of Commerce would like you to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,349,187 times
Having lived in Colorado all my life, and in several places in the state, I would suggest Glenwood Springs, to Rifle. Beautiful early spring, warner and less snow in winter, and not as hot is summer as GJ.

Not near the heat and wind as the front range, and eastern plains

Old 12-23-2011, 10:28 AM

12,845 posts, read 23,236,992 times
Some extremely amateur calculations give me these places given these criteria:

not too hot
not too cold
less rain
less snow

:

Rush
Buena Vista
Salida

Castle Rock got lopped off when I factored in rain.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:09 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,913,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mikey1 View Post
The climate in Colorado, especially Denver, is so over-rated. I know, I live in the Denver area. BTW, there are officially 246 sunny days in Denver, not the 300 days the chamber of Commerce would like you to believe.

Splitting hairs. 246 is still a lot more than many other states in the country.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:28 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,036,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Pueblo is no Arizona but we are known as the most northern southwest city and is usually warmer then the rest of the front range in the winter with less snow. I know this because as I kid I would hate it when I would wake up to sunshine, or just a light snow fall, while the rest of the front range had a major snow storm. Then the snow we would get would melt fast as Pueblo warms up fast. Pueblo can and usually does get into the 70's, even in January. I now understand that is a benefit and one reason people are looking at this city. As far as the summer. The days are warmer here but so are the evenings. That is perfect weather to play golf in. As far as being dry. The golf courses have sprinkler systems and are kept green in the summer and nice in the winter. I live by one and its used all year round.

Is this a city the OP would want to live in? Honestly I don't know but this city does have some of the most golf playing days in the state that is something I do know.
How are those golf courses looking right now? I have to laugh looking back on this thread a few weeks later as Pueblo is now buried under a mountain of snow and we have bare naked ground here in the depths of mountainous Pennsylvania.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:35 PM

6 posts, read 7,364 times
Default Best Year Golfing Weather

I'm a former resident of NE Pa. and have lived in Colorado Springs for 22 years. We can get cold for a few days and go back up to the 60's in Jan.
I can golf almost year round here but do have to put up with "Winter Greens" in COS.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:22 PM

602 posts, read 840,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mikey1 View Post
Oh dear, here you go again... would you like some cheese with your whine?

Old 12-24-2011, 12:54 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,368,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
How are those golf courses looking right now? I have to laugh looking back on this thread a few weeks later as Pueblo is now buried under a mountain of snow and we have bare naked ground here in the depths of mountainous Pennsylvania.
They have snow on them at the moment. To be honest the entire city of Pueblo is under a blanket of snow from the last 2 storms but it has just been a week. The first storm was on Tuesday and we got 10 inches of snow and the second storm was on Wednesday night and Thursday. By the time it was done there was 14 inches of snow in my backyard. I think we got 6-9 inches but some of the snow from the first storm melted Wednesday so its hard for me to get a accurate total from the second storm. That means we are now going on 5 days where the golf course has been covered with snow thus unplayable. I will see how long it takes to melt and report back to you.........

Old 12-24-2011, 01:24 AM

3,108 posts, read 4,667,863 times
While it is funny to watch people split hairs over minor differences, here is what you need to know about a possible move to Colorado.

1. There are three basic climate zones: one for the plains, one for the mountains, and one for the western slope. The mountains are the coldest and wettest of the three. The other two generally have hot, sunny, and dry summers and cold, sunny, and dry winters.

2. While the golf courses on the plains and western slope may be open all year, there is not a place in the state to enjoy a good round of golf between November and April. The courses all turn off their irrigation systems so the grass goes dormant and the ground is hard. If you want to play that badly in the winter, hop on a plane (or drive) to Vegas, Phoenix, or Albuquerque.

3. Don't be swayed by the stories about snow in June and September. While it can snow in early June, a June snowstorm is as rare as a hurricane hitting New Jersey - It happens about once every 20 years or so. Any snowstorm after April 1 and before October 15 is likely to be wet, heavy and melted within 36 hours.

4. Josseppie's mission in life is to convince everybody that Pueblo is the best place to live in all of the universe. Pueblo is warmer than Denver, but there is little difference when the temperature in Denver is 35 and the temperature in Pueblo is 45. You are not going to be golfing in either city at the time. I think a bigger difference is in July when its 92 in Denver and 102 in Pueblo. A temp of 92 is the upper limit of comfortable when golfing or enjoying outside activities; a temperature of 102 means I am staying inside. You can always layer up for cooler weather, but you can't do anything about really hot weather.

5. Regardless of the climate, the Denver metro area is where most of the jobs are in both teaching and public health. If you want to come and teach, I hope that you don't have too much experience. The most experience credit you will get here is about 5 years. In any case, you will likely take a big pay cut for the "privilege" of living in Colorado.

6. The Denver metro area is also where most of the golf courses are. The quality of the public courses are very good and your chances of catching on as a golf coach is probably better in Denver than anywhere else.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,368,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post

4. Josseppie's mission in life is to convince everybody that Pueblo is the best place to live in all of the universe. Pueblo is warmer than Denver, but there is little difference when the temperature in Denver is 35 and the temperature in Pueblo is 45. You are not going to be golfing in either city at the time. I think a bigger difference is in July when its 92 in Denver and 102 in Pueblo. A temp of 92 is the upper limit of comfortable when golfing or enjoying outside activities; a temperature of 102 means I am staying inside. You can always layer up for cooler weather, but you can't do anything about really hot weather.
I have to say I love how my reputation precedes me here.

As far as golfing its not just me who says that but one of Pueblo's marketing tools is that we have some of the most golfing days of any city in the state. That does not mean we are like Arizona as we are colder in the winter and not as hot in the summer which brings me to my next point. Sure Pueblo gets above 100 in the summer but like the very cold days in the winter they are few, usually less then 15. Generally speaking its in the 90's and that is perfect to golf in the morning and in the evening as its warm. Even when it is above 100 its just barely above 100 and never above 110 so people golf early and late and the people who don't might it being a dry 100 are out in the sun. Trust me I live by a golf course and I see them all day golfing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado