U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 03:30 PM

91 posts, read 99,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Oh dear, here you go again... would you like some cheese with your whine?
It appears you are hurt by the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,846 times
As a transplant from MI, I know a little about cold weather. I've lived here in Colorado for about 4 years now, and my only complaint weather-wise would be the wind. It's HORRIBLE!! Especially in the spring. That aside, my personal opinion is that it's generally warmer here than back "east". I remember it being over 70 degree's and sunny the winter before last in Pueblo. I'll take that kind of winter anytime!

Old 12-31-2011, 01:51 AM

16 posts, read 13,429 times
Living in Fort Worth and counting the days until we can leave the very very big city (DFW). CC and/or somewhere to the West of the front range in SE Co seems about where we want to go. I lived in CSprings during the mid 70's and remember the battle cry 'build a fence around the state!' Obviously that didn't happen and visiting the area several times since kinda shows some real wear and tear in The Springs particularly. I think we could handle the higher elevation living, but would appreciate any feedback about special considerations if any for taking care of a house or your vehicles say at 8,000 to 8,500 feet. I think I understand the 35 acre requirement for full use of water...no rain harvesting etc. I am a little wary of heating degree day costs especially living higher than 6,000 feet.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:06 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,524,802 times
Is Colorado a good retirement state. We Prefer the sunbelts and western areas of the US, although we liked Florida when we were there. Las Vegas and N. Calif is where family is so don't want to go back to Florida and be so far away. We are currently in Hill Country, Texas area (close to Austin).

We like the topography of foothills, stay just close to but not necessarily in the snow country (younger family would like to ski), mostly warmth....us going to be elders need hospitals close by, decent property tax rates and affordable housing 150 to 350 range. Do all the same lists of Colorado cities on this thread stay in the game....or get crossed off our list?

Old 01-01-2012, 10:46 AM

19,547 posts, read 35,604,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Is Colorado a good retirement state. We Prefer the sunbelts and western areas of the US, although we liked Florida when we were there. Las Vegas and N. Calif is where family is so don't want to go back to Florida and be so far away. We are currently in Hill Country, Texas area (close to Austin).

We like the topography of foothills, stay just close to but not necessarily in the snow country (younger family would like to ski), mostly warmth....us going to be elders need hospitals close by, decent property tax rates and affordable housing 150 to 350 range. Do all the same lists of Colorado cities on this thread stay in the game....or get crossed off our list?
IMO you want Phoenix, AZ. Look around Glendale, Avondale, Surprise area for some great values now that the bubble has burst.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:50 PM

9,810 posts, read 18,077,026 times
Quote:

Winter is the dominate weather pattern in Colorado over summer. I wouldn't associate "warmth" with Colorado although of course in the summer it does warm up, especially on the prairie or in the high desert.

If you mention the "foothills" I imagine you are talking about the "hills" above Denver? Those areas, especially some parts of them get plenty of snow and winter weather and tons of wind. They are not high desert places you find in Arizona where you might get a little touch of snow every year.

The foothills have never really taken off with major population growth unlike Denver and that's because it can get harsh living up there. Due to the steep Front Range, it's a crossroads for up and down draft temperature/wind currents. Sometimes it sits in the "brown cloud" that hangs above Denver in a temperature inversion. Sometimes it is violently windy. Sometimes you get nasty thunderstorms. Sometimes you get an updraft snowstorm out of the east that dumps 2 feet of snow.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:54 PM

3,296 posts, read 7,775,993 times
Quote:

I have to agree with Mike, look into AZ. If you prefer warm weather with foothills, etc. I think you would be much happier there. While the foothills of CO are beautiful, you may be surprised to know they can get quiet a bit of snow and will be pretty cold for 6 months of the year. Plus, to find affordable housing in your price range near hospitals is going to be hard along the front range. You might consider Canon City if you are dead set on Colorado.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:18 AM

7,735 posts, read 15,719,657 times
I am going to agree with Mike and Delta. Based on the feeling I got from reading your post, I think you'll feel more comfortable in Arizona than you would in Colorado. Like wanneroo mentioned, Colorado is more wintery than summery. The main similarity that Colorado has with Arizona is the dryness, but Colorado is quite a bit colder and winter is considerably longer. If you like red rock canyon country in a desert setting, you might consider Grand Junction-CO on the western slope near the Utah border, but we usually get a cold snap that persisits for several weeks with overnight lows around zero and day time highs only in the low 20s.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 PM

486 posts, read 1,167,935 times
Tucson Arizona and Albuquerque New Mexcio come to mind for nice weather and foothills within sight.

However, if you want to be closer to Colorado skiing - check out Canon City, CO. It's one of the few places in the state where winter doesn't seem to dominate nearly as much. Fall lasts late into autumn and sometimes flowers pop up in February. We get some snow, but it's not excessive like in most of the other foothill areas.

The landscape here is more high desert-like and pleasant scenery. Cost of living is VERY affordable (you could do very well in your price range). There is also a hospital in Canon City and less than an hour to larger hospitals in Colorado Springs & Pueblo. And many senior services for the elder folks. Also very low porperty taxes compared to other areas of the state. (for example, a 2000 square foot house would be around $800 per year).

Canon City is within 2 hours to skiing.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 PM

261 posts, read 579,157 times
Wow, I think this is the first honest thread I have seen about weather in Colorado. When I still lived in Colorado, I used to come on here and complain about winter a lot. Having escaped to S. Florida for a while, I now appreciate Colorado a lot more and realize that winter and the crazy weather is just part of the deal. We want to move back, but weather has little to do with it. I do miss the dry climate at times, though.

Everyone's bananas got frozen to the ground last year after a few nights where the temps dipped below freezing for a couple of hours. We are just a couple counties north of the Keys. I realize that it's not supposed to be taken literally, but, "banana belt" ... tee hee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado