U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 PM

12,104 posts, read 20,376,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
That Denver photo is one of the typical "hype" photos. It was taken with a long telephoto lens to bring the mountains "closer" in the photo. It also was taken on one of the winter days when the Chinook winds blew the "brown cloud" smog layer that Denver frequently suffers in the winter to the east and out of the photo. Just like those Playboy pin-up girls probably never look as good in person as they do in the magazine foldout, Colorado seldom looks as gorgeous in person as it does in the promotional photos. When Colorado is at its most beautiful it is incomparable, but no one should labor under the misconception that anyplace in Colorado looks that beautiful all the time, or that all of Colorado is as pretty as its prettiest spots. In fact, a lot of Colorado can be downright desolate--either some of the time or all of the time.
With all due respect you don't need a special telephoto lens to take a great picture of the mountains behind any front range city. To prove my point this is a picture of snow capped mountains behind a crane being used to build a new tower at Parkview Medical Center in downtown Pueblo. If I can do this in Pueblo it can be done in Denver too.

Here is another picture. Again I used no special lens.

Last edited by Josseppie; 12-15-2011 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 02:31 PM

52 posts, read 106,522 times
Jazz, I was looking through public domain photographs to try to show how arid the climate is here and thought that particular Denver photograph had enough of the treeless landscape to show the true aridity of the climate here. The others are obviously "touristy" photographs but were meant to show off some of the areas I was talking about. Obviously I think the OP is in for a shock when he/she sees what is is truly like out here.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skifreak189 View Post
Jazz, I was looking through public domain photographs to try to show how arid the climate is here and thought that particular Denver photograph had enough of the treeless landscape to show the true aridity of the climate here. The others are obviously "touristy" photographs but were meant to show off some of the areas I was talking about. Obviously I think the OP is in for a shock when he/she sees what is is truly like out here.
I have a extensive library of photo's. I think this one shows how arid the area is. I took this one while flying over Pueblo and the surrounding area.

This is the Pueblo reservoir. Due to the summer haze you can't see the mountains in the distance.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,130,110 times
Joss,

I've been doing scenery and landscape photography longer than you've been alive (including for commercial publication). I've shot with everything from 17mm wide angle to 500 mm telephoto (those being lens focal lengths for 35 mm film cameras). I also am pretty darned familiar with the location in Denver that I referenced. It was shot with a telephoto lens.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Joss,

I've been doing scenery and landscape photography longer than you've been alive (including for commercial publication). I've shot with everything from 17mm wide angle to 500 mm telephoto (those being lens focal lengths for 35 mm film cameras). I also am pretty darned familiar with the location in Denver that I referenced. It was shot with a telephoto lens.
Maybe it was but my point is you can get a great shot of the mountains from the front range without using a special lens. Lets be honest I am not the best photographer and if I can do it from downtown Pueblo it can be done with downtown Denver as the mountains are higher and the buildings are actual sky scrapers.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:46 PM

50 posts, read 90,523 times
Back on topic how long of a drive can you expect from co springs to vail on a Friday night after work. How about a Saturday morning?

I get that it's arid and dry but it is still pretty beautiful. Does anyone have any shots of some parks near Colorado springs?
Instead of trying to downplay the place why dont you guys show me some personal shots of why it's beautiful? =)

Old 12-15-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrrsh26 View Post
Back on topic how long of a drive can you expect from co springs to vail on a Friday night after work. How about a Saturday morning?

I get that it's arid and dry but it is still pretty beautiful. Does anyone have any shots of some parks near Colorado springs?
Instead of trying to downplay the place why dont you guys show me some personal shots of why it's beautiful? =)
Its hard to say as it depends on traffic, time of year, weather etc. I would give yourself about 4-5 hours as you have to go over 2 mountain passes. As far as my pictures I hope you don't take it as I think you would not like it here and I am one of the more pro Colorado posters here. I happen to think Colorado is one of the more beautiful states in the nation. As far as your question about a picture of Colorado Springs. As I stated I have a extensive photo collection and that includes some of the Springs.

This was taken from the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. Its not a picture of a park but I thought you might like it.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:37 PM

52 posts, read 106,522 times
Expect a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive to Vail each way on the weekends under the best of driving conditions and zero traffic, which doesn't happen anymore. By 7 AM on Saturday morning it is LA/Washington D.C./Chicago/Atlanta style traffic on I-70 from Denver to the resorts. The normal 2 hour drive from Denver to Vail can easily take 4 hours under these circumstances, especially if it is a powder day. I live in Fort Collins on the north side of Denver so it is about equidistant from Fort Collins to Vail, just coming from the opposite side of Denver. If you don't mind taking the side roads and driving in some seriously "sketchy" conditions on a two lane, ice and snow covered road there is a back way to Summit County and Vail from Colorado Springs rather than the standard I-25/C-470/I-70 route. This is not something that I would recommend on a weekly basis unless you are a die-hard skier like I am. Also, Colorado is notorious for taking a beating on your car. You must know how to drive in snow & ice at 11,000+ in elevation, have excellent snow-tires, and get going early. The only way to beat traffic is to "beat them to the punch" in getting up to the ski resorts. The key is to get past a particular stretch of interstate on I-70 called Floyd Hill during the 6:00-7:00 hour. Anything after that and you risk an LA style traffic jam for the 70-80 miles west of Denver to the resorts moving between 5-25 mph. When I go skiing it takes me about an hour to get down to Denver from Fort Collins and to I-70 and then another hour to hour and a half to reach Summit County. Vail is an additional 30-45 minutes past Summit County. On a Saturday morning I typically leave Fort Collins around 4:30-5:00 AM. I imagine that if you left on a Saturday morning you would want to do the same from Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs is a little further from I-70 than Fort Collins, so probably closer to 4:00 AM. It's insane I know but here is what you will be stuck in if you don't get going at that insane hour. Friday afternoons aren't nearly as bad, but be ready to pay quite a bit for a hotel room up there.

I-70 Ski Traffic to the Resorts

Remember the key is to get past Floyd Hill during the 6:00-7:00 hour. This doesn't guarantee that you will miss all the traffic, but it gets you past the worst part. Regardless of the number of people, traffic does slow down towards the Eisenhower Tunnel on snowy days.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:48 PM

50 posts, read 90,523 times
Lol thats nuts. How much do cheap rooms usually run up there? Maybe itd be best to just drive up Friday and crash in your car lmao.

4am isn't too bad, it's worth it I'm sure. Usually on bus trips from LI to Vermont we are in the bus at that time. Usually sleep on the way up but I'm sure that the loss of a few hours of cramped greyhound sleep is worth it for the drive to vail. So you do/do day trips then?

Old 12-15-2011, 06:20 PM

For day trips its actually better to ski in Summit county. It saves you about a hour in each direction and in my opinion the ski areas are just as good if not better. Personally I prefer Keystone as they have night skiing so you can leave a little bit later, miss the morning traffic of people trying to be at the ski areas as soon as they open, and ski till 5 or 6 and get home at a decent time and get more then a full day of skiing. Plus by leaving at that time you miss most of the traffic from the people who leave right at 4.

For staying the night in Summit county it can cost between 80 to 150 dollars a night, at least that is what I usually pay.

Another ski area you might want to consider is Monarch. Its on Highway 50 and there is less traffic however Monarch is a smaller ski resort but its fun as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or