Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 03:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,418 times

Advertisements

Is it worth it for the right job?
The one-way trip from my location (NW Denver) would be about 80 miles.

I'm looking for input from someone who has actually done something similar in terms of distance traveled on I-25, esp. in the winter.

BTW I am going to consider an apartment for the week, but I'm still on the fence about being away from home so much during the week.

Last edited by CURaven; 12-03-2011 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: added info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 10:12 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Is moving an option?

Old 12-03-2011, 11:53 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
I would say no. Then again I know people who do that kind of a commute who love it but personally I would not like it.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:55 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
I haven't done something similar, but that's because I wouldn't. Have you figured out how long those 80 miles would take you to drive factoring in traffic? It looks like over an hour in perfect weather and traffic conditions. When there is bad weather, Monument Hill gets treacherous and sometimes even closes.

Adding in traffic that you will encounter in both Denver and Colorado Springs, you're probably looking at three hours driving every day (add another hour or two for bad weather) added on to your work day! Is your quality of life worth that?

Old 12-03-2011, 03:26 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
The style of driving between Denver and the Springs is almost like the driving between LA and Vegas:

"Me first", and cutthroat.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:51 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,574 times
I commuted from central Colorado Springs to south Denver (Arapaho Rd.) for ten months back in 2000-2001. Also, my oldest daughter, who was with me every other weekend lived with her mom in Arvada, so I would make that trip frequently as well. The drive is do-able, but it gets tiresome. Theoretically, the trip could be made in about an hour and a half, but factor in traffic and it can easily add another hour to the trip. The worst of the traffic will be through Denver all the way to Castle Rock and then you can count on more automotive constipation between Monument and N. Colo Spgs. Additionally, east west mobility through the Springs is difficult at best, and there isn't really a straight, easy shot from I25 to Peterson. Probably your best bet would be to take Woodman out to 24, but do that for more than a week and you'll want to shoot yourself in the head........

Factor in bad weather AND traffic AND at least one weekly traffic snarling wreck, that 80 miles can turn into 3 or 4 hours. It isn't usually that bad, but it was frequent enough that I got tired of the drive pretty quick....

Old 12-05-2011, 11:24 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURaven View Post
Is it worth it for the right job?
The one-way trip from my location (NW Denver) would be about 80 miles.

I'm looking for input from someone who has actually done something similar in terms of distance traveled on I-25, esp. in the winter.

BTW I am going to consider an apartment for the week, but I'm still on the fence about being away from home so much during the week.
According to Google Maps that would be a 1 hr. 36 min. trip. That would be a best case scenario. With rush hour traffic, make it two plus hours. With snow, make it three plus hours. A blizzard or some other severe weather, forget it. You'd never get there.

So you'd be looking at spending 20 to 30 hrs a week commuting.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 18,908 times
The worst of the traffic will be through Denver all the way to Castle Rock and then you can count on more automotive constipation between Monument and N. Colo Spgs.http://www.uklv.info/g.gif

Old 12-17-2011, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 5,418 times
Default Turned out to be a non-issue

I didn't take the job.

Thanks for all the replies and helpful suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado