U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:18 PM

50 posts, read 90,573 times

Advertisements

Just doing some preliminary research and I know there is a lot of good information all over these boards but my question is a little more specific.

I'm in love with Colorado, and I've never even been there. For some reason I'm drawn to it. I live on long island and I can no longer take the traffic, mean people, lack of nature and things to do. I am going to take a trip sometime next year to feel it out but I am so sure I'm going to want to stay.

Colorado is huge, and I want to experience it all. I want a location where it is feasible to do day trips to the most attractions. I'm talking gunnison, vail, aspen, etc. I want to be able to experience something different every weekend for the rest of my life, and I know it's possible there.
I just want a location that is centralized and that I'll be capable of experiencing the most without hotel stays etc.

Any reccomendations? I'm into all kinds of outdoor sports like fishing, quads, mountain biking and climbing, rafting, snowboarding, pretty much anything Colorado has to offer I want to do!

I'm also huge into beautiful natural landscapes, colorful leaves, gorges, streams, lakes with mountains surrounding it. For me, Colorado is all about the view. I love breathtaking views I can just chill at for hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 03:10 PM

4,641 posts, read 9,145,374 times
Are you independently wealthy? If not, then you're going to need a job. Most of the jobs are going to be in what is called the Front Range -- the line of cities along I-25 east of the mountains. That means Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo. You need to start with that idea and the feasibility of finding work before you start thinking of living someplace like Vail that is ridiculously expensive. Or are you considering being a ski bum?

Old 12-13-2011, 03:53 PM

I will need a job. I'm in the technical field. Colorado springs seems like a nice location, are day trips to gunnison doable?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:15 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,148,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrrsh26 View Post
I will need a job. I'm in the technical field. Colorado springs seems like a nice location, are day trips to gunnison doable?
No, not really, unless driving 320+ miles in a day just to get there and back is "doable" in your mind. If you think you are going to escape traffic in Colorado and actually live where most of the jobs are--well, you might as well forget that. Where almost all the jobs are in Colorado's traffic-choked metro areas on the Front Range.

It's asinine to "fall in love" with a place--even Colorado--without ever being here. I will guarantee you--it is most likely not what you think it is. No place ever is. Colorado, especially, must be experienced in all four seasons to be understood.

By the way, I've lived all over Colorado (including Gunnison) with over a half-century of experience in the place.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:23 PM

Cool man, then you can give me some great information! Have you ever lived on long island? No? Well imagine what 1.5 million people in a single county does to the roads. It's miserable. I understand there's going to be traffic in every metro area, but if I have to sit in traffic in my own neighborhood much longer I'm going to lose it.

Do people drive like maniacs? This is New York. If you can drive here you can drive anywhere ever heard the saying? I'm tired of people driving on the wrong side of the road coming right at you. This is America but reminds me of the few trips to Jamaica I took.

So Perhaps your definition of traffic is different from mine.

As far as gunnison goes abOut how long of a drive would it be? We day day trips through the city to PA and that takes a good three hours, ski for a half a day and come home at night. I'm used to it, so if it's around 3 hours then it's doable.

And for a place as amazing as that, totally worth it for a few weekends of the year

Old 12-13-2011, 05:44 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,850,658 times
Wink Reconnaissance from afar

At the risk of being redundant, I'll recommend Summit County to you. Specifically the town of Frisco.

There is the little matter, perhaps, of how one actually affords this, jobs etc. Summit County has never been, as far as I know, accused of being inexpensive. Conversely, while the site of a fair amount of recreation and activity in the mountains, still without the market and wider range of job options offered along the front range.

So this more by way of reconnaissance and what you might aim for as an ideal Colorado home. From Long Island to somewhere in the unknown of Colorado to explore it, you could do a lot worse than Summit County. Places such as Aspen were mentioned, and whereas that chic town a somewhat feasible day-trip of sorts from, say, Silverthorne, not so much from Denver. However if the weather and traffic Gods are with you, Denver is not much more than an hour down I-70 from Silverthorne. If your interest veers more to the opera and city sights, then aim for the front range as ground zero. But since possibly more mountains on your itinerary, then it will help to begin in them. Summit County more than qualifies in that regard. It will allow places such as Leadville just a veritable drive around the corner, as said portions of the front range not all that far, but still Durango or Telluride more of a day-trip than you might want to pack into 24 hours.

As for timing, spring is always nice. With a good chance that it arrives later in the season than on Long Island, so think May, and maybe April if willing to deal with some snow in either month. Even though weekend ski traffic on I-70 might have you at times thinking of back home, basically not all that bad, or even verging on empty in some places and times. But, as decidedly in the Rocky Mountains, in driving often not at all that flat.

Should be interesting your thoughts on what you love of a place never seen, once there.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:50 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,927,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrrsh26 View Post

Colorado is huge, and I want to experience it all. I want a location where it is feasible to do day trips to the most attractions.
Probably Glenwood Springs, Vail or Leadville. The first two are on I-70 which gives you quick East-West mobility. Leadville let's you access the southern half of the state, and you can reach I-70 pretty quickly from Leadville too. Reaching the southern half from Glenwood would be more difficult in the winter due to Independence Pass being closed.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 PM

2,974 posts, read 6,635,604 times
Driving in Colorado is very different than back East, distances appear short but there are mountains in the way. Day trips to the mountains usually require going over at least one pass that can be icy and snowpacked, not to mention ski traffic which can be an 8 hour parking lot on I-70 when it's at it's worse. COS to Durango is almost a 6 hour drive, with good weather, not great for a day trip. It can be sunny and shorts weather on the Front Range and a full on blizzard an hour away.

It is nothing like the East Coast, especially the tri-state area. First you should visit, thinking this is the place for you and never visiting is very short sighted. Next you should find a job, they are not easy to get out here, and it will dictate where you live.

You may not like Jazzlover's reality check, but it's the truth, people drive like idiots here too and traffic in the metro areas is a mess. It's a beautiful state, with great outdoor activities and a wonderful place to live if you have the right attitude.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:08 PM

12,104 posts, read 20,389,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Driving in Colorado is very different than back East, distances appear short but there are mountains in the way. Day trips to the mountains usually require going over at least one pass that can be icy and snowpacked, not to mention ski traffic which can be an 8 hour parking lot on I-70 when it's at it's worse. COS to Durango is almost a 6 hour drive, with good weather, not great for a day trip. It can be sunny and shorts weather on the Front Range and a full on blizzard an hour away.

It is nothing like the East Coast, especially the tri-state area. First you should visit, thinking this is the place for you and never visiting is very short sighted. Next you should find a job, they are not easy to get out here, and it will dictate where you live.

You may not like Jazzlover's reality check, but it's the truth, people drive like idiots here too and traffic in the metro areas is a mess. It's a beautiful state, with great outdoor activities and a wonderful place to live if you have the right attitude.
I agree with everything except your part about the traffic. Driving in the Denver metro area, and the front range, is not hard at all. Its nothing like the traffic between two large metro areas like La and San Diego or Orlando and Tampa or the north east corridor where the OP is from.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:31 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,191,570 times
You got some big misconceptions about Colorado. It is really ridiculous to fall in love with a place and not having been there.

Driving through the Rockies are much different and more difficult than driving to PA.

The mountains are not so lush with lakes, streams, gorges and colorful leaves as you envision. I do not care what kind of advertising pictures you are seeing--reality is much different. Colorado, including the mountains does not have the year round precipitation that you see in the east, and thinking the mountains look like the Catskills or the Adirondacks is wrong.

I suggest you take a trip and take a look. Some of your "pipe dreams" will be shattered. Yet, you will find that which pleases you, but see other aspects that will not; and much will require adaptations to the different land and culture, or you will not be happy. You would say the same to a Westerner who lushes over New York and has never been there. So, I am saying that to you, as an ex New Yorker, who has lived here for many decades and now is a citizen of the West.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or