U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 PM

10 posts, read 19,230 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to the city of Grand Junction so that she can attend their college's dance program, and I can be more involved in the outdoor community. I'm basically just asking for some basics on living there. Are there good (evangelical christian) churches?

How could we best go about finding less expensive housing(we're looking to rent a 1 room or studio apt that would allow a small dog)? We have no problem with living in a semi-bad neighborhood, since we both have experience with that.

What are some possible employment opportunities? I've worked crappy jobs consistently for some time now so I have no problem with that. I'll do any work, and I'm trained as a wilderness guide (mostly canoeing, wilderness survival, and hunting).

also, any general tips about moving there? were from a town of 250,000, but it doesn't take much to make us happy. I'm looking forward to the mountains, and as long as there's a cool place to eat or two, we'll be great. I've been to colorado lots of times, but never to the western slope.
thanks to all
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:48 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,107,644 times
Don't even think of moving to Grand Junction unless you have a job in hand. Period.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:06 PM

10,545 posts, read 11,642,242 times
Jobs are very very very very hard to come by in this area. I would suggest you Google the area, look at the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel newspaper for jobs. And VISIT first. Good luck to you.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:21 PM

10 posts, read 19,230 times
thanks for your responses!

So even a really crappy minimum wage job would be tough to get? I guess I just take things for granted because the job situation is great where I am in nebraska.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:31 PM

7,755 posts, read 16,457,602 times
crazysam1 wrote:
So even a really crappy minimum wage job would be tough to get?
Can't say for certain, but based on what I hear with my own ears, and see with my own eyes...that seems to be the case ( even a really crappy minimum wage job would be tough to get ).

Old 12-15-2011, 04:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,107,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam1 View Post
thanks for your responses!

So even a really crappy minimum wage job would be tough to get? I guess I just take things for granted because the job situation is great where I am in nebraska.
Having spent some time in Nebraska this summer on business, I can say that it is one of the few brighter spots in the country in terms of the economy and employment in this current very harsh economic time. Nebraska didn't go crazy with the real estate bubble and speculation like Colorado did, but it is not suffering the effects of the bust like many places in Colorado are. No, Nebraska doesn't have "amenities" like the mountains, but it does have some jobs--which is probably the biggest "amenity" that matters right now.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:37 PM

16,178 posts, read 20,188,186 times
I have a friend who is a "handyman's" handyman. He has done a lot of stuff for me, everything from roof repair to putting a new clutch in my '94 Jeep Cherokee. His real job is working at McDonald's in Fruita and that is only part time. A couple of my neighbors work at McDonald's competition-Burger King, near City Market across the I-70 viaduct. These three people range in age from 45 to 55. Ever since the energy company layoffs a few years ago this area has been taking it on the chain. The unemployment percentage has dropped somewhat; Mesa County's unemployment rate last March hovered around 12%.

Not long ago I was at U-Haul buying some cardboard storage boxes. The guy at the counter was talking to a friend of his regarding several people carpooling to get trucks from other U-Haul businesses out of town. It's easy to see why when no one can rent trucks here because they've been rented out when people moved out of the area. And instead of bringing the trucks back to Grand Junction they paid the extra "drop fee."

It took the western slope a while to fall this far, it will take a while to crawl out.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-15-2011 at 05:54 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 09:24 AM

7,755 posts, read 16,457,602 times
jazzlover wrote:
No, Nebraska doesn't have "amenities" like the mountains, but it does have some jobs--which is probably the biggest "amenity" that matters right now.
Amen to that! I recall a time in the mid 80s when I was living in Sedona-AZ, which is perhaps the most scenic little town in the USA. I was really struggling business wise, and I recall waking up one day thinking...just another day in paradise....so what. Struggling financially takes all the fun out of paradise. It sure did for me.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:22 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,906,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam1 View Post
How could we best go about finding less expensive housing(we're looking to rent a 1 room or studio apt that would allow a small dog)? We have no problem with living in a semi-bad neighborhood, since we both have experience with that.
Orchard Mesa and Clifton are the towns/neighborhoods with the less expensive housing.

There are two ways to find housing:
* craigslist
* driving around and looking for "For Rent" signs

Quote:
also, any general tips about moving there? were from a town of 250,000, but it doesn't take much to make us happy. I'm looking forward to the mountains, and as long as there's a cool place to eat or two, we'll be great. I've been to colorado lots of times, but never to the western slope.
thanks to all
Nothing really comes to mind on special tips about moving to Grand Junction. The rents are probably higher than they should be (due to the oil/gas industry). Winters are obviously very cold, so you want to prepare for that. There's actually a few really good restaurants in town, and for some reason there's, like, 7 or 8 sushi restaurants and most of them are quite good.

Closest mountains are the "Grand Mesa". As the crow flies it's about 10 miles due East of Grand Junction. But theres's limited access from the western side, usually people take the highway around the north and access it from the back so it takes about 30 minutes to drive before you're up "in the mountains."

When I was living there last year, jobs were hard to come by. Even the "crappy" work at Mcdonald's jobs. Everything was tight. I don't know about now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or